Hofflarr's Restoration of Little Devil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my 1977 FJ45 last July and have not really had the time to do much with it since then. But since the weather is getting nicer and I have finished my renovation project, I am now starting to do some work on it. I'm calling her Little Devil because of her Vin number, FJ45-156667.

I was not actually looking for a truck like this, nor was I any type of Cruiserhead before I bought the truck. I had been surfing the web months earlier thinking it would be cool to have an older truck to work on that I can use in the summer and to go to the hardware store to pick stuff up. It definitely had to be a truck. I saw my first Landcruiser FJ45 and it was for sale in BC. I thought it was a pretty neat looking vehicle and also quite expensive, I think he was asking somewhere around $7,000 or $8,000 for it, but I wasn't really interested because of the location and my lack of knowledge of Landcruisers.

So I ocassionally looked for trucks, not really expecting much, and one day I find another Landcruiser truck listed for sale in my hometown of Edmonton. It looks pretty good but I am busy trying to renovate my basement so I'm not sure if I should go look at it. When I get back in town from work, I decide that I at least have to go look at it since it is in Edmonton. Turns out it is right around the corner from where I am working on the basement. Now I really have to go see it.

When I go to look at it I like it right away but I am torn, because I know the wife is not going to approve and I know that I am going camping on the weekend and will have to make the decision to purchase right away. Surprisingly, when I look at it I'm concerned about "all the rust"! Like I said, I didn't know anything about Landcruisers. Well, needless to say, the next day I went back with cash in hand and bought the truck.

So this is the truck I purchased:

DSC02435.jpg

DSC02434.jpg

DSC02431.jpg

Last edited:
The PO posted an ad here for the truck. https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-class...cruiser-canadian-fj45-1-ton-pick-up-sale.html

As the ad states, the truck only has 15,000 miles on it. It is virtually original, save for the extra wiring for the lights that were hooked up. This thing still has the original tires that it came with. Too bad the sidewalls are weather-checked and don't pass inspection...Dang! I have now discovered that the rust that I was worried about is so very minor compared to other rigs. I was scared because the box had holes rusted through at the top, but I will take that in a heartbeat, beacuse the bed of the truck is smooth and dent free and although the tailgate is rusty, it too is straight and dent free. The rust that needs to be repaired on the box is all straight flat pieces so it should not be too much of an issue.

DSC02194.jpg

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
So now the bad. Like the ad says, the frame was heavily modified for the picker. That's not too bad in my opinion as it is just a matter of cutting and grinding off all of the "beef" that was added. It does not look like the frame was actually cut in any way. The seat covers are not in great shape and need to be replaced. the headliner is missing as the glue let loose over the years. Front bumper needs replacing. Needs new rear springs and shackles. Windshiled is cracked down the center. That's about it.

So my plans for this truck are to one day get it back to showroom condition. Watch out, this is going to be a restoration, not a build. I'm very happy with the condition of the truck, but in a way I am also disappointed that the condition is not worse. I say that because my initial reason to buy the truck was to have fun with it and drive it around in the summer (and I still will to an extent), but since the condition is so good, I feel that I have the responsibility to preserve it. I know, I'm wierd that way. I just love old things and bringing them back to life.

First of all, I am a mechanic by no means, I actually prefer working with wood so I'm not sure how fast things will progress. I first need get the insurance inspection passed so I can have some fun with it and drive it. The first time I rushed andjust took it to the first guy I found and it failed for a few minor issues as well as because the windshield was cracked, the tires were weather-checked and the muffler had some holes in it and the tailpipe is rusted off. So I am in the process of getting some used tires and we'll see if another mechanic might not have an issue with the windshiled and muffler.

After I get it driveable, I think I will take the box off and work on removing the frame mods and repairing the box as I have fun driving it without the box. Maybe I'll put a temporary tray on it. I have already purchased a full PTO winch setup for it that I will install as soon as I can. I took off the T-case cover and unfortunately I do not have the PTO gear, so I will have to buy one and somehow install it. I'll have to get the engine looked at just to make sure everything is OK. I don't think I will rebuild it as it has so few miles on it, but when it runs the exhaust is a bit acrid (it's hard to describe) so there may be some seals that need replacing. And someday, it will get the frame-off treatment.

OK, so here is my first question. I know that the box is not original to the truck and I noticed that some of the holes to bolt the box to the frame don't align. Is there a difference it box years as far as the mounts go?

DSC02260.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

Last edited:
Random Pics

Here are a few more pics. I have quite a few close-ups of the truck if you want to see anything sepecific.

Cheers

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

Last edited:
Well congrats and personally I'm jealous! That's one of my favorite LC's. Don't forget to drive her as there's no point to owning one you don't use it. :D Looking forward to seeing you bring her back to original life!

-Daniel Kent

Thanks

Thanks Copan! I hope to have the top off and be driving around this summer.

Daniel,

I will keep updating that thread as the rims progress.

Pics after blasting, pics after painting and finally pics of the full assembly.

Do those rims have the hub cap clips on them?

I understand that the 16" splits with the clips are quite rare.

Hub Cap Clips

Kevin,

The rims do not have hub cap clips on them. The back two rims each have 4 holes in them though and I was wondering about that. At first I thought that maybe they were for caps and that they were original to from Toyota, but I have come to the belief that they were added by the PO; for what I do not know why. I guess at one point they had something attached to the rim.

Rear Wheel
DSC02288.jpg

Close-Up of a Hole
DSC02288 Close-up.jpg

Front Wheel
DSC02154.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

DSC02288 Close-up.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

Last edited:
I got a new windshield made in Calgary last year at a local glass place.

I removed the old one and they used it as a template. It cost about $110 for the laminated glass.

You can do the removal and install yourself. There are several DIY threads here on mud. I think I used one by Texican.

Kevin,

I personally see the windshield as a non-issue as far as safety is concerned. The only damage it has is a crack straight down the middle which does not obstruct any view. And these windshields are not structurally integral to the vehicle like todays winshields are.

DSC02172.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

I will eventually replace it, but when I do, I want to do it with a very good OEM windshield if I can. I don't want to rush to put a new windshiled in, spending the time and money to do it now, when the current one does the job.

DSC02172.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

Last edited:
What a score! I have always wanted this exact rig, but I am 6'6" and it just isn't realistic for me to drive one for more than 2 - 3 miles.

Kevin (AWL-teq) down in Calgary is a contact you need to make. He has made entire beds, tailgates and sills from scratch and, although he can be a bit of a pain at times:):grinpimp::doh:, is a great asset for someone with a rig like yours. Given you guys are in the same Province, it seems too good an opportunity for you to pass up; I've even thought of driving up there myself just to see Kevin's shop.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this rig.

Josh

Last edited:
Thanks Chamba,

I think it is quite a score too. The more I look at it, the better it looks... but I guess that's the same for all cruiser owners.

I don't know Kevin (Awl_TEQ) or Kevin (45Kevin) perosnally but hope to meet them both through this restoration.

I know of Awl_TEQs infamy on the site and he deserves it all. I will have nowhere near as much bodywork to do on my rig as he has done to either of his but maybe I can ship the bed down to him for repairs :D.

Rust is pretty much all on the bed, but it is limited to the top, under the rail. The rust has also bulged out the side where it meets the bottom of the bed, so the bed will have to be taken apart, rust fixed and then put back together, but there should be no need to buy new parts for it.

This is a pic of the rust on the box. This is the worst of it, you can see it is rusted through.

DSC02201.jpg

This is rust on the tailgate shown from the inside, again this is the worst where it is rusted through.

DSC02211.jpg

Here you can see how the panel is dimpled here where the bed floor meets it.

DSC02216.jpg

I've even thought of driving up there myself just to see Kevin's shop
Given the weather up here lately, I would rather drive down to where you are.

DSC02201.jpg

DSC02211.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, and I know what you are saying about size, I am 6' and when I am in there, I can only use the signals from above because I cannot get my arm in between the steering wheel and the door. It is also uncomfortable to use the clutch because I have to lift my leg so high, but other than that it is just too cool to drive.

It also has the hand throttle, which people say makes a great cruise control. Haven't had a chance to take it out on the highway yet to try it out though.

Was the bed stored upside-down? Odd rust.

I find rhd rigs more comfy because of the clutch issue. I can't even close the door and use the clutch on lhd rigs.

We had a cold winter but very little snow :-( after seven years in Australia I was really looking forward to some good snow-guess I have to be Alberta bound, to paraphrase one of my favourite Gordon Lightfoot songs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom