Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it's in.

Thanks to Dean big time as it was a realy pain in the ass. I didn't have the clutch aligned quite right so we fought it a couple hours. Finally got it done though and assembled the trade and went for lunch.

After lunch he dropped me
Off and i went to work getting shifters and driveline back in it. Topped it all with oil and went for a drive

With stock fuel it felt much the same as the turbo hz. After I turned it up it felt better. Different and more powerful. Seem like lots left to go too. It isn't even close to 1200 egt and only running 18psi with no intercooler.

The rebuilt transmission is glorious. Feels very precise and everything functions wonderfully. 2nd gear is very smooth and doesn't fight at all to slip into gear. Really really happy with these results. Now onto some time tuning this hdt to its full potential.

Nice!

With great power come great clutch slippage...

Well while cruising the country side today the clutch started to slip on me. Seems I should've had the fly wheel machined when I had the chance. No I'm looking at an upgraded clutch but need to sort of piece it together. Or I pull it all back apart and try repair this one with new machining on the fly wheel.

Truck is still drives me but if
You lean on it.... Slips. Lame....

Ohhh that stinks!

I'll see if I can get time for the Penske file if you're planning for Friday. I'll be in touch.

so I think I overreacted…. just went for another drive with troopy. Bagged him hard. What I noticed is that I think I was reacting to a slow recovery on the manual boost controller(MBC). When cruising along and deciding to throttle it I'd notice the boost would climb to 25 psi then settle back to 20 or so. This was after I'd fiddled with the MBC to reduce boost down from 30psi. So what I noticed the most was the change in engine sound… I have no tacho right now so I couldn't see a flare in RPM.

Tonight I turned up the boost back to 30ish psi so that when on the throttle it would climb but never settle while under throttle. Back on the highway and felt no slip at all an no engine sound change. Then I did another acceleration charge and this time I feathered the clutch to slip it intentionally… RPM would flare and boost would drop afterward. Makes sense as with decreased engine load the boost goes down…. On my acceleration test though again tonight boost would climb hard and fast but not drop while under throttle….

All this to say I think I'm ok after all...

Nice , Penske out.

With more power come real clutch slipping, no denying it, stinky, responsibility.

Last night I tuned up the pump a bit more and found heaps more power.... so much so I had to turn the main fuel screw down more than 1.25 turns.... It is silly.... but it also is slippy....In 4th I and 5th the clutch isn't even close to managing the power the engine is putting out now... Do be sure I smoked it for a few seconds up a hill and got a nose full of that unmistakable scent....

New flywheel is shipped this morning....
Clutch should get shipped tomorrow.. A direct unit from an HDT with 50% upgrade over stock clamping force.. No denying it was pricey but once I saw the real potential of this damn HDT I had no choice.....Intercooling would make it even wilder....

And just think it's only 200hp max
But probably double that in torque.

We should do a dyno day to check some of these numbers. I'd love to know what my hopped up 22R makes for power, Doug wants to know what his 3bt makes too.

I'm in for dyno day

me too. fresh turbo and injectors in the mighty 3B this week

Ooh, a head to head battle between a newly rebuilt 3bt vs a well worn one with a turbo slapped on it.

Well after pulling wrenches for another evening and with @potlatch4805 help we got the new whizzy clutch installed. Took some figuring as I didn't have the correct bolts (so we cut som down to the right size) or dowel pins (so we made some from the smooth section on a long bolt). The worst part of this entire adventure was the fact it was completely avoidable. When I dug into clutch slippage in these rigs I learned the fly wheel needs a step machined into it where the pressure plate meets. It about .040" or so and allows proper engagement of the plates and disc. Mine at some point it its life was machined and the step was not left. This meant the pressure plate was spaced further from the flywheel than designed. Likely led to lower clamping force and slipping under load...

But hey nothing some new clutch parts can't fix.

Paul and I re installed the clutch and fired it up. I dropped it in reversed let the clutch out and.......... nothing.........

After a few seconds of panic I realized my black box slipped into neutral.... Clutch feels great, engages hard and all and all seems fantastic. With the ability to load the engine more now I was seeing EGT's to hight so I crept the boost up to 27psi. This brought the temps back in check again.

More tuning on fuel down low to keep the smoke out of it but its pretty fun to drive anyway....

More updates later on links and things...

TT sells upgraded HD clutch kits, I think George AKA Orangefj45 has installed on into a rig with H55 and 1hd-t tuned bigger tires and has not slippage at all...

Your truck sure seems to be getting dialed..

Rob:beer:

That thing hauls ass!

So transmission gave me trouble again on the route to ruby thaw. Had trouble shift gears and it was doing some herky jerky actions. We threw it in a trailer and took chars 71 instead. Had a great time at the event.

Today after getting it home we pulled the t case off and trans and black box out. Noticed it was very stiff running in neutral and always seemed to behave like it was in 4th. I tapped the input shaft forward a bit and it all went back to normal.

A long story short says that there is a design flaw in the black box that let this happen. Nothing was damaged though and I have a fix in mind. If we're lucky by tomorrow it will be back together. But might take 2 nights.

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom