Troopy pricing in the US (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you saying you get 15-17.5 in a carbed 1FZ troopy going 75-85mph???

Hello,

You can have that mileage on a 1FZ-FE on highway driving. Not that much on the 1FZ-F; however, the carburetor does have a "high load" circuit that adjusts the mixture to the lean side under conditions such as high speed.

Anyway, the 1FZ is a fun engine to drive.

Juan

Are you saying you get 15-17.5 in a carbed 1FZ-F troopy going 75-85mph???
@FJBen
15 at 80+
16-17.63 for standard 65-75mph @ sealevel. Bone stock. No lift, nothing on roof, appx. 400lb load. 265/75r16 tires or aluminum wheels.
Per my last 3 times filling up:
292mi @18.87gal - 15.54mpg driving between LA and San Diego @ 75-80
318mi @ 17.87gal - 17.79mpg in CA
308mi @ 17.47gal - 17.6mpg between NV and CA
(distance converted from km to mi, and based off of odometer. I could be in distance since the 265/75r16 tires are probably not exactly the OE tire size)
Anyways, I just track for the sake of the health of the engine, and to just get a better baseline of how the troopy behaves.

But, as @JuanJ says, 1FZ is buttery smooth fun and I would have a tough time picking between a 1HZ and 1FZ troopy if they were the same price and same condition.

@FJBen
15 at 80+
16-17.63 for standard 65-75mph @ sealevel. Bone stock. No lift, nothing on roof, appx. 400lb load. 265/75r16 tires or aluminum wheels.
Per my last 3 times filling up:
292mi @18.87gal - 15.54mpg driving between LA and San Diego @ 75-80
318mi @ 17.87gal - 17.79mpg in CA
308mi @ 17.47gal - 17.6mpg between NV and CA
(distance converted from km to mi, and based off of odometer. I could be in distance since the 265/75r16 tires are probably not exactly the OE tire size)
Anyways, I just track for the sake of the health of the engine, and to just get a better baseline of how the troopy behaves.

But, as @JuanJ says, 1FZ is buttery smooth fun and I would have a tough time picking between a 1HZ and 1FZ troopy if they were the same price and same condition.
Troopies usually came with taller tires then yours so your odo shows more miles and when doing this with a gps you will see your mpg’s dropping down. On long trips I always do this with my gps and my troopy with the bigger tires , pop top conversion and a heavy load plus trailer gets around 14 mpg at 70mph with the 1HZT , if I drop that speed to 65 I already gain 1-2 mpg.

Troopies usually came with taller tires then yours so your odo shows more miles and when doing this with a gps you will see your mpg’s dropping down. On long trips I always do this with my gps and my troopy with the bigger tires , pop top conversion and a heavy load plus trailer gets around 14 mpg at 70mph with the 1HZT , if I drop that speed to 65 I already gain 1-2 mpg.

Yeah, GPS is a must for calculating mpg. I used a few runs with a GPS to calculate the percentage difference in my speedometer and now I apply that to my mpg calcs. I’m averaging around 10mpg, with a high of 12.19.

@mcmarshing, I’d look into using a GPS to determine if your speedo/odo is off. Would love to know how much that changes your figures. Otherwise you have a very special engine and carb.

Maybe my China carb is at fault for my low MPGs.....or my foot. Although I'm a pretty easy driver. I could see 15mpgs on the highway as the trucks seems like it is humming along effortlessly but around town not so much.

I see a Sniper EFI conversion in my future I think although that kind of goes against trying to keep analog trucks analog.

Maybe my China carb is at fault for my low MPGs.....or my foot. Although I'm a pretty easy driver. I could see 15mpgs on the highway as the trucks seems like it is humming along effortlessly but around town not so much.

I see a Sniper EFI conversion in my future I think although that kind of goes against trying to keep analog trucks analog.

Hello,

The 1FZ-F carburetor is a little sensitive to adjust, and it takes multiple tries to reach the proper mixture -tries that use can use up a lot of fuel. Ask me how I know.

Once it is set up, mileage is decent -i. e., no frequent trips to the gas station- and so is throttle response. No need for pedal-to-the-metal unless you are trying to get yourself out of a mud hole.

It takes a while to get used to, though.

If you ever go the Sniper EFI conversion route, please let us know and post it in detail.

Juan

@FLEXXER my thoughts are pricing just really depends on how nice you want the Troopy to be when you buy It. You can find a cheap one in Australia. It’s going to be RHD and rusty. You can find some rust free‘ish trucks over there but the price goes up. I had a super nice one from Aus and sold it.......very much regret selling that truck. I would budget at least the low 20’s for a pretty good diesel Troopy.

@JuanJ we got a thread going in the 40 section that is about to discuss the 1FZ-F Holley sniper setup for my SWB 45 series. Just had some updates today. Lemme know if you cannot find it.

@FLEXXER my thoughts are pricing just really depends on how nice you want the Troopy to be when you buy It. You can find a cheap one in Australia. It’s going to be RHD and rusty. You can find some rust free‘ish trucks over there but the price goes up. I had a super nice one from Aus and sold it.......very much regret selling that truck. I would budget at least the low 20’s for a pretty good diesel Troopy.

@JuanJ we got a thread going in the 40 section that is about to discuss the 1FZ-F Holley sniper setup for my SWB 45 series. Just had some updates today. Lemme know if you cannot find it.
Good information thanks man. I will definitely check out your thread sounds interesting.

Great data @AndrewHadji those numbers on the 1FZ seem crazy getting 18mpg. Not saying they are wrong, but they definitely seem to be the exception. I've owned 4 80 series (1FZ-FE and AWD 80) but averaged 12-14 stock. Best ever stock was a huge downhill jaunt from colorado and I got 17.2 once...lol

Here's my data from 22 fills, 8000 miles on a newly rebuilt engine.
19.0 avg, 22.6 best and the 15 minimum was an anomaly from a low tank fill-up before.

I will say, that is ALL mixed driving, although mostly highway. I haven't done a trip longer than 1.5 hours in it on the highway so I'm interested to see that number soon.

I realize it's no troopy, and I have a 13BT so not the same, but it's still a 4,600lb brick on 33" mud tires. My GPS reading is very close to my odometer, within .25~.3km so if anything I'm getting slightly better, but not much.

03F163D1-43EB-4641-A2BA-FD6E48DCAB48.png

Last edited:
Customs doesn’t charge anything other than duty. Inspections and the like are free but your shipping company likes to take you to the bank on those things.

For example, I have had a secondary inspection cost nearly $2500 but this was the shipper moving the container to customs warehouse and back to port and all the fees they tack on for that garbage.

I have done walk in imports here in Boise at the local CBP office, duty is all it costs.

Cheers

ive learned to be pretty skeptical on mpgs. I prefer real world data than " that one best mpg going 65 the whole way"

Ave 16 best 18 mpg over 30k miles, 1hz, turboed in 2019
Good to know. How did it do before the turbo install? What kinda change did you see in MPG and did the turbo make a significant difference in power as far as pulling hills extra?

1hz in a troopy is fine, the only trouble i had was merging onto a highway with short merges. Drive like a big rig and its not a problem, caravaning with newer 80s or 100s and you cant really keep up with them in the mountains. Turbo doesnt make you faster, i still only drive 65-70, but makes a big difference overtaking, where before was pretty impossible.

Did not see a difference in mpg pre/post turbo.You can see the results yourself in the link above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom