TRD PRO Wheels on 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_3066.JPG
IMG_2842.JPG

Question: I've not seen one example of these wheels used on a FJ40.... Any good reason?

5ea in my garage, waiting on rubber.

Thx,
LR

Understand and Thanks. I'll be able to better determine that once I have the rubber on, but the wheels fit perfect.

I'm not so put off by spacers. This is a beach truck used for fun and teach my boys wrenching, not a rockcrawler.

I guess there's still a ban on selling this particular part number to folks that don't own actual pros. I had a hook up ;) That may explain why you folks are doing this, unless they don't like the look on a classic truck.

I'll post pics once done.

What the feeling on 285/70R 17s on 7 " wheels?

Thx,
Rick

They will fit just fine. The front tires will be too far in to turn stop to stop. The tires will hit your springs. If you adjust your stops out to keep the tires from rubbing, your turn radius will suck. I did it with my FJCruiser rims on my 40. Spacers are the only option to use your rims on your 40. The tires should fit the rims just fine.

You don't see them on many 40's because most people who actually use their 40 for off road, shy away from alloy rims entirely. They came with steel for a very good reason. You can run whatever you like though because after all, its yours.

Agreed- Keeping white steel wagon wheels for flexibility.

Would be interesting to know the alloy vs. steel stats.

We'll I guess my rig will be unique at least. Dig the wheel design and was the right mix of cost and weight.

I'm gunna press with the 285s and do spacers as nesessary.

Cheers,
LR

I'm curious to see how this looks and functions. Post more pics of it as it develops, please.

You don't see them on many 40's because most people who actually use their 40 for off road, shy away from alloy rims entirely. They came with steel for a very good reason. You can run whatever you like though because after all, its yours.

What is that "very good reason?" And why do "most people who actually use their 40 for off road shy away from alloy rims entirely?"

What is that "very good reason?" And why do "most people who actually use their 40 for off road shy away from alloy rims entirely?"

Because when you bend a steel rim on a big rock, you can just beat it back out with a ball-peen hammer. Alloy rims, you could be screwed (alloy wheels tend to crack when they bend).

Last edited:
It's a bad day if you hit something hard enough to break a bead on either type wheel.

This non-hardcore guy would skip the endless pinging with a hammer and mount my spare. Hence the 5ea purchase. Just saying... ;).

If I was a hardcore guy running an overland trip, I'd probably carry two inexpensive steelies...

Truth be known, don't like the retro white on my vehicle, replaced the white Austrilian Bushwacker flares (hard plastic was broken on one side) with modern non-breakable black ones that have the same hole pattern. PO cut out the wheel arches. I bought the black Pros and will probably powedercoat my rusty grill black also. Leaving the roof white as that's the coolest part and functional in the FL sun.

So, strong, light wheels would be a bad thing on the trail? I wheel couple of times a week, with a diverse group, trying to recall when I last saw a rig on the trail with steel wheels? We have steel wheels on our trailers, so there is that.

All of the FJ40s that I'm around that have steel wheels, are for the look, stock steelies are the fashion rage, rarely if ever wheel, maybe dirt roads, if that. The ones that wheel often, all have alloys. Maybe it's a local thing?

Because when you bend a steel rim on a big rock, you can just beat it back out with a ball-peen hammer. Alloy rims, you could be screwed (alloy wheels tend to crack when they bend).

Been there, it better be a big hammer, not as easy as it sounds, much easier to install the spare. The good part about steel wheels is; they can be hammered back (maybe, with much effort), the bad part; they bend more easily, so need to bend them back.

Often wheel in the rocks, lots of alloy wheel rigs, don't recall ever having an alloy problem. Bottom line, factory Toyota alloys are very good, solid wheels. They get beat up, look like hell, but keep on working. Years ago, and still some of the cheap alloys are brittle, will break, crack, chunk, this gave them a bad reputation, but good alloys are solid, can be bent and likely beat out, going to take a big hit to do it.

Trail ready bead locks are alloy are they no good for off-roading?

Most TRD pro wheels, if not all are made in Taiwan by "Super Alloy Industrial" and there is no such "ban" on them.

True there... I had a line on some Hutchinsons at a reasonable price, but decided against it given they're 50 pounds each without the tire. Even their huge military grade wheels are alloy.

Last time I checked they were NLA for owners who didn't already own a truck that had them from the factory.

Most TRD pro wheels, if not all are made in Taiwan by "Super Alloy Industrial" and there is no such "ban" on them.

Poor choice of words... Their "distribution" was limited from Toyota due to availability issues.

I've had no reason to look lately. When I was, a couple months back, most every dealer that was selling them online showed "not available" with forecasted availability later this summer.

I guess it has to do with who you know as you put it....

It is no secret to most of us here how most parts guys are at Toyota dealerships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom