Transmission Temp Gauge install w/pics

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Brian894X4, Apr 6, 2008.

1. 619TOY

619TOY

Nice! I like it. Maybe I will finally get that gauge done afterall. I change my ATF on the 80 every oil change and it's always nice and fresh smelling and pink:eek: so maybe my driving like a little old lady really isn't stressing anything out:D

Maybe once I finally get that S/C mounted in the 'Runner. Too many projects, too little time:rolleyes:

2. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

wow, even I, admittedly superanal about such things, am not changing my ATF at every oil change... :eek:

unless you are going synthetic oil and changing it every 15K, then maybe then...

3. Brian894X4

Brian894X4

I spent a few good hours today in combined highway driving and very bad rush hour traffic with about 75 degree ambient temps. The trans temp never went above the 175 degree line and mostly hovered a tad below it, probably averaging around 160. I imagine the trans wasn't exactly working hard today, though. No major hill climbs or anything like that.

4. overhanger

overhanger

OZ Extreme A440F with OZ VB and torque converter temps have been 125F to 180F around town in city driving and 180F to 200F when good and warmed up on the hiway. I think it is the torque converter that really heats things up and I'm waiting for some extended hiway miles and offroad readings to tell the story more completely. The requisite additional aftermarket ATF cooler is a B&M sandwich style and I'm not sure it's the best choice yet. A similar size but thinner PermaCool seemed to do a better job and let the tranny temps get cooler on extended downhills in the mountains than the B&M seems to be doing. I think more roadtrip testing is in order! :bounce2:

Cruiser Jimmy likes this.
  5. Cruiser Jimmy

Cruiser Jimmy Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I've noticed that between 30 minutes to an hour of being on the highway at about 65mph the temp actually start to come down and level off. A decrease from 190 to 180 and leveled off has been seen, that's with a 12"X11" aftermarket transmission cooler and bypassing the stock cooler.

I can't remember where your temp gage was picking up the temp from?

6. overhanger

overhanger

You are using a LARGE cooler, aren't you!? The one I'm using is is a little more than half that size but it is in series with the stock, radiator located cooler. Sensor is on the union that connects the tranny fluid outlet to the hard line to the radiator.

7. Moby

Moby

The aux cooler I've got for my A440 is about 12x12. It is also in series with the stock in radiator cooler. My sender is in the return line but the gauge (Nordskog) has been backordered forever so I don't know what temps I'm seeing yet.

8. Brian894X4

Brian894X4

Did a lot more driving today. Ambient temp was mid 70s. On the open freeway, the temps were the lowest, around 155-160.

When driving slow on a very windy back road, the temps got to around 175. So far, I've not seen more than that.

Again, measured at the pan, not towing, and so far, no major hill climbs or long steep grades.

Oh, and it's got 5 quarts of Mobil 1 in it. I don't know how that affects temps.

9. BrettinSanAntonio

BrettinSanAntonio

I like that Pod. Where did you find one that fits an 80?

10. NLXTACY

NLXTACY Wits' End Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    BRIAN, just a question, I ordered everything on the list and I finally opened up the packages only to find out there is no wiring. Do you run your own wring for it?

11. Brian894X4

Brian894X4

The gauge pod is from Autometer I believe. eguages.com has them. Fits only 2 1/16th diameter gauges.

As for the wiring, yes, you have run to your own wiring. It's pretty straight forward. S is for Signal or sending unit and that wire runs to the sending until. I tie the light bulb ground and gauge ground together and run that to a ground somewhere. The other two wires are power for the gauge and power for the light. I have my gauges wired to come on with the ignition, which means I tied them into a fuse in the box. I can't remember exactly which fuse it was, but it was one of the fuses that only had power when the ignition was turned on.

I powered the light on the gauge from the tail light fuse, when powers the dash and parking lights, so whenever the parking lights are turned on, the gauge light turns on.

An update on the usability of the gauge. The highest temp that I've ever seen so far was around 170-180ish as measured by the gauge and that was on an extremely hot day while climbing a long highway hill. For normal driving, the gauge seems to indicate right around 150 indicated or just a hair higher (around 160 indicated).

I have to imagine if the tranny ever gets hot enough (300something degrees) to kick off that idiot light, something is has to be really wrong, but then I don't know if towing or severe loads, really kicks up the working temp or not. Maybe 200+ as measured from this place is very common and normal when towing.

In any case, these trannys definately run cool under normal driving.

12. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I take my signal for my ISSPRO gauge at the same place as the idiot light sender is .. ( output line )

[​IMG]

Then I usually see 130ºF temps around the town and as far as I nave only one time 190 after a hard run .. ( I'm running 315 with stock gears )

[​IMG]

13. calfj60

calfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the gauge pod you got there...was looking for another place cause I got the tranny temp gauige but my pod is full...

14. Brian894X4

Brian894X4

Tapage, that's a slick set up. That's ideally what I wanted to do and go with a much better gauge with wider range, but ultimately I got lazy.

15. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Are not that hard .. with the apropiate tee brass fitting, and the gauge sender .. it's really easy, only un screw and scre back again all together .. up the cable from the sender to the gauge throught the t-case lever and boot and done ..

16. NLXTACY

NLXTACY Wits' End Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Brian, finally getting around to putting this all together. Sensor is in, pod is painted. For the wiring, did you make a hole in the A-pillar and plumb the wires down or did you just route them on the side of the dash? And then for the connection to the sensor, where did you route that wire?I was thinking about cutting a small hole in the transfer case boot but not sure if that's a good idea :(

17. IBCRUSN

IBCRUSN

Media:
    Albums:
    The bung just below the "T" fitting Tapage shows is a good location. Drill and tap with a 1/8 pipe thread, use some teflon pipe sealant and away you go. There is ample fluid trickling out as you drill/tap to push any metal chips out, just take your time.

18. nicholas

nicholas

Media:
    Albums:
    Has anybody actually tapped the bung that he is referring to? I assume he is talking about the one below the brass T with the white paint-looking stuff on it.

19. calfj60

calfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    I have was kinda a pain in the ass and I have a right angle drill, wouldn't try it without one. The hole was easy enough to tap. Put in my autometer sender and never had a leak or worry... I now have all sorts or other transmission issues but I would have never known if not for the gauge instal... hth

20. nicholas

nicholas

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the advice. Did you rely on the trans fluid pouring out to flush metal particles out? Seems like it would be a messy job, but probably the only way to keep shaving out of the trans.

I'm wondering if it would be easier to source a brass T like Tapage did.

I know there was talk about using some sort of epoxy to glue the sender to the transmission. Seems easy enough but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Another option I thought might work would be to put a T-fitting in the middle of the rubber line on the way to the trans cooler on the radiator. I haven't seen anybody do that, do you guys think it would work?

I would think that this method might yield more accurate results than the trans pan since the hot tranny fluid is not mixing with cooler oil although it might lose a slight amount of heat whilst traveling through the hard line to the rubber line and t-fitting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.