Transmission Temp Gauge install w/pics (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another option I thought might work would be to put a T-fitting in the middle of the rubber line on the way to the trans cooler on the radiator. I haven't seen anybody do that, do you guys think it would work?

sure it will work .. I only have the idea to about place the ISSPRO termo couple in the same place as the factory sender is .. actually very tight place and I had a leak here that need to be corrected

sure it will work .. I only have the idea to about place the ISSPRO termo couple in the same place as the factory sender is .. actually very tight place and I had a leak here that need to be corrected

I think this is the route I will go since it seems a lot less time consuming than the other methods with probably the same end result.

I would imagine it would be easier to notice leaks with it being in the rubber line since you wouldn't have to climb underneath the rig.

I'll post results when I get a chance to do it.

I think this is the route I will go since it seems a lot less time consuming than the other methods with probably the same end result.

I would imagine it would be easier to notice leaks with it being in the rubber line since you wouldn't have to climb underneath the rig.

I'll post results when I get a chance to do it.

All depends where do you place the sender .. more distance from the tranny less accuracy on the readings ... thought

All depends where do you place the sender .. more distance from the tranny less accuracy on the readings ... thought

True, but I would think that placing the sender in the rubber line before the radiator would still be more accurate than the pan reading since the fluid does not have a chance to mix with the cooled fluid in the pan.

I am going to use a couple of 1/2" barbed 1/2" male threaded pieces

Brass Fittings - Fittings and Nipples

and joining them with a Tee that has three 1/2" female ends and then installing the autometer sender in the middle.

I will figure out which line is the tranny to cooler line and splice the tee into it. It looks like it will be going into the rubber line located under the front of the engine block just after the metal line from the tranny ends.

Of course there could be a slight drop in temp between where the factory sender located and the end of that metal line where the rubber line connects (where the autometer sender will be located) but I think it will be negligable.

I ordered the parts so I'll post my results when I'm done with the install.:wrench::wrench::wrench:

DSCF2896.jpg

This is a picture of the fittings I recieved today. I can't say how impressed and pleased I was to work with Fittings and Nipples

I ordered my parts late Tuesday night, received a shipping confirmation email early Wednesday morning, and received the parts via UPS today (Thursday).

You can see I only needed to buy two 1/2" nipples and a 1/2" Tee. The autometer sender came with a bushing adapter that connects the sender to the middle of the 1/2" Tee.

Now I just need to figure out which line is the line leading from the trans to the cooler and splice the Tee in.

Then I need to figure out the wiring. I have never spliced into a fuse box to tap power like someone did earlier in this thread so I might be back with some questions. :cheers:
DSCF2895.jpg
DSCF2896.jpg

I'm not sure why that second picture posted but disregard it. I am using the top picture with the shorter sending unit.

The input side of the cooler in the radiator is on the passenger side...Alos if you need anything else answered please let me know..I have taken all the cooler lines out and am very familiar with the whole cooling system outside he tranny...

The input side of the cooler in the radiator is on the passenger side...Alos if you need anything else answered please let me know..I have taken all the cooler lines out and am very familiar with the whole cooling system outside he tranny...

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I believe you are talking about the transmission line that goes to the nipple (shown below) on the passenger side lower radiator. I actually removed that line when I was installing the S/C to try to gain more clearance. I thought it was a coolant line since it was going into the main radiator and not the small tranny cooler on the DS.

DSCF2907.jpg

This rubber line (the far right one) is the from the upper metal tranny line on the drivers side. It curves under the fan shroud and attaches to the nipple on the bottom of the radiator shown above.

DSCF2911.jpg

It looks like this will be a good spot to splice the brass Tee. I will secure the Tee to the front cross member to keep it from bouncing around and hitting the fan above.

I'll put together another thread that combines this install with a boost gauge for another dual pillar example. It will be a couple of weeks until I have time to do finish the install.
DSCF2907.jpg
DSCF2911.jpg

The upper pic shows the line I was talking about...output of tranny and input into the radiator tranny cooler...I would think your placemnet of your sender should work there...

I'd be interested to hear what normal temps people are getting with their gauge senders installed in the cooling lines, like this set up.

I'm thinking of relocating my sending as a future project.

I haven't had time to do it yet, but I should in about a week or two.

Hello, i have installed one Temp. Gauge from Rodney of WHOLESALE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. It works very well. I'm happy with it.

I put one Picture...............

micromarruecos064wr2.jpg

Miguel

I installed mine about a week ago but I am wirking out some bugs with the wiring.

The instructions say that the sender should be grounded when installed in the oil pan, but since my sender is in line of the cooling rad rubber hose, it is isolated. However, when I try to ground it, the temp immediately maxes out to top temp when the trans is cold.

Miguel .. My tranny use to raise mucho more than 150°F .. are your A442 under 150 all the time that you are driving .. ?

Miguel .. My tranny use to raise mucho more than 150°F .. are your A442 under 150 all the time that you are driving .. ?

What ambient temp do you normally drive in?

It has been pretty cold here with an outside temp usually below 50*F.

So either my trans gauge sender needs to be grounded

or

My trans fluid at the sender has not been any hotter than the lowest mark on my gauge which is 100*.

When I start the truck, the trans temp needle moves up about a needle width, so I know it has power.

However, like I mentioned earlier, if I ground the sender like the instructions say to do, the needle pegs out at max temp immediately.

I will have some time this week to tinker with it. I am going to try two experiments.

1)Try to ground the sender from a different point on the sender. Instead grounding the sender to the bolt that the sender wire is attached to on the sensor, I will clamp a wire to the brass Tee to see if the unit operates by measuring a voltage drop or something.

2)If that doesn't work I will carefully use a propane torch on a really low setting and use some indirect heat to manually heat the brass tee and sender to a temperature that feels hotter than 100*

I have a feeling that my #2 will determine the issue since even after hard city driving the brass tee and my trans pan are only warm to the touch.

usually around 30°C here in Panamá ... but sure under heavy traffic it raise much more under the hood .. sure always AC on ..

Hellow Tapage, my Temp Gauge is not in º F is in Degrees. In Australia and in Europe we don't measure in º F.

Regards

Miguel

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Hellow Tapage, my Temp Gauge is not in º F is in Degrees. In Australia and in Europe we don't measure in º F.

Regards

Miguel

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Ok .. my fault .. yours is in °C .. in that case I thought your guage it's litte useless due to the normal temp range that use the A442

Actually the higher temp that I saw in my gauge are about 190°F in a really hot day with AC and heavy traffic.

That means around 87.78°C

I figured out how to ground the sender properly.

If you look in the pictures of the Tee/sender above you will notice that there are two nuts on the tip of the sender that secure the wire that connects the the sender tab on the gauge.

The sender should be automatically grounded installed in the trans or a metal trans pan.

Since my sender is isolated in a rubber line I needed to ground the sender by attaching an additional ground wire from the frame to the "neck" of the sender body just below the two nuts that hold the sender wire.

I heated the Tee with a hot air gun until it was a just a bit too hot to touch.

I turned on the ignition and the gauge read 150*F so it appears to be working.

I need to figure out how to secure the wire to the brass sender. I tried soldering it but it doesn't appear to be a very strong connection. I might just grab a hose clamp and clamp it too the sender. Maybe I'll wrap the wire around the sender really tight then coat it in steelfast of JB weld.

Anyone have a better idea?

I'll post some numbers on the temps my gauge is reading from this cooling line location in various outdoor temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom