Transmission issues - please help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update…. And it’s not good.

Toyota kept her overnight and this morning at cooler temps (80 in Houston), checked the levels and she was 3 quarts low on transmission fluid.

WTF Toyota! I can’t believe (yes, I can) they they would miss on the amount of fluid by 25%. The thermal expansion from 80 to 150 degrees is not 25%. More like 5%.

Frustrated that I drove it for a week with low fluid levels but glad they found the problem and glad they fixed their issue. The manager called me apologizing…

Chalk this one up for “I should have done it myself”. I would have followed the FSM to a T and done it right. I assumed paying the dealer $285 to do it would make sure it was done correctly and per Toyota specs.
Sounds like they forgot to add the last 3 quarts after draining it

Sounds like they forgot to add the last 3 quarts after draining it

Sounds about right - you typically only get out around 3 quarts when draining the pan each time.

Here’s another case of a dealership and a monkey with a toolbox doing the finest work.

OP, let us know how the rig is shifting now. These are pretty stout transmissions, but lack of lubrication (essentially running the tranny without much of any fluid in the drain pan will most likely cause some issues).

You may want to ask them to do a complete transmission fluid exchange to ensure you don’t have any burnt up or bad fluid in there.

Update…. And it’s not good.

Toyota kept her overnight and this morning at cooler temps (80 in Houston), checked the levels and she was 3 quarts low on transmission fluid.
Why the heck did you never check it yourself??

On the other hand, I'll bet there's no long-term damage done. :meh:

I suspect mechanical damage has been done. I’d demand a new transmission.

Why the heck did you never check it yourself??

On the other hand, I'll bet there's no long-term damage done. :meh:
Lazy excuse but I don’t have a good home setup and the ranch is 2 hours away and I haven’t made time to get it up on ramps and pull off the bottom plates to open her up and check myself.

Sounds about right - you typically only get out around 3 quarts when draining the pan each time.

Here’s another case of a dealership and a monkey with a toolbox doing the finest work.

OP, let us know how the rig is shifting now. These are pretty stout transmissions, but lack of lubrication (essentially running the tranny without much of any fluid in the drain pan will most likely cause some issues).

You may want to ask them to do a complete transmission fluid exchange to ensure you don’t have any burnt up or bad fluid in there.
Drove home in 95 degree temps perfectly.

Engine was “cold” but presumably over 100 since it was outside.

Pulling out on feeder road and u-turning were perfect.

I’ll check again tomorrow morning when it’s “cold”….

Fingers crossed it’s not damaged.

Here is a pic of the service report from today…

IMG_0499.jpeg

Here is a pic of the service report from today…

View attachment 3437694

I would be pissed to have that explanation in my Toyota service record history. Sorry for that. The good news is that it appears to be okay. If the transmission acts a bit wonky over the next few months, at least you have clear documentation the fluid was 3 quarts low with barely anything in the pan while running, and you can press the dealer to replace the transmission.

I don’t know how Toyota dealer measures the new fluid when using the machine that cycles it through the fluid cooler. If they put 13 in, I wouldn’t think I’d have the problems I’m experiencing when “cold”.

the machine that we used was a 1-1 exchange, so if it was over filled or underfilled it wouldnt correct that condition. thats why we had to do a final fluid level check after the flush was finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom