Transmission issue--thought it was solenoids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 80 series with 355k miles. A few months ago it started to occasionally not want to move when I put it in drive from park.... kind of like it was trying to start out in 3rd. It became more regular until it now it always does it.

Here are the "symptoms":
* going from park directly to drive is when it happens. The truck just barely moves
* if I go from park and pause a couple of seconds in reverse and then to drive, the transmission works perfectly
* if I shift from park down to 1st then it works as expected and if I move to 2nd and then drive it works normally
* once I get going it works perfectly until the next time I have to start out from park

I have done a lot of searching and was convinced it was an issue with solenoids. I did change those (4) but am having the same issue.
I'm hoping someone has an idea.
Thanks, Jess

Sounds like your transmission is worn out.

You could increase the line pressure or do a shift kit, but that is just a cover up. The clutches and steels are wear items and to get 355k is pretty good imo.

Oh and the transmissions have been discontinued from Toyota so find a good shop to rebuild it.

Last edited:
Your transmission is an A442F. Since you’ve replaced the solenoids I assume you at least verified that the filter screen is not blocked with debris and the fluid level is good? You can also jumper the diagnostic port pins and check for any stored codes that might be in the transmission ecu.

Has the trans ever flared between shifts?

Your transmission is an A442F. Since you’ve replaced the solenoids I assume you at least verified that the filter screen is not blocked with debris and the fluid level is good? You can also jumper the diagnostic port pins and check for any stored codes that might be in the transmission ecu.

Has the trans ever flared between shifts?
Fluid level is good. Filter screen is clear. I haven't notice any flaring between shifts.

If you did the solenoids, filter, fluid and adjusted your shifter then yea it's probably time for a rebuild... I've personally bought a FZJ-80's with the A442f that had 480k on the clock with the original trans and head gasket.... perhaps it was a factory freak.... either way 355k is a great life and its probably worth a rebuild but it is odd to see these transmissions fail.

I'd try new solenoids again (I've had several "replacement" parts not work or fail shortly after installation) also make sure the solenoids are OEM (there are aisin ones available)

Additionally check your TCM for faults, there is a method listed in the a442 manual on how to check. Its similar to how you check OBD1 codes but it will blink the OD OFF light for codes.

"Adjust the shifter"..... I'm not familiar with this.

If you did the solenoids, filter, fluid and adjusted your shifter then yea it's probably time for a rebuild... I've personally bought a FZJ-80's with the A442f that had 480k on the clock with the original trans and head gasket.... perhaps it was a factory freak.... either way 355k is a great life and its probably worth a rebuild but it is odd to see these transmissions fail.
I'm not familiar with adjusting the shifter.

Similar to my truck for the last 100k miles, truck only has 280k miles on it. Haven't replaced the solenoids yet but figured it is related to them, guess not?

Similar to my truck for the last 100k miles, truck only has 280k miles on it. Haven't replaced the solenoids yet but figured it is related to them, guess not?
100k miles?!?! Maybe I'll relax a little then

I have some used transmissions I would sell you for 100 bucks if you are sure that's the issue.

get the FSM here:

Also download the A442 transmission manual, you need to pull your codes for the trans. Poke through the FSM's if you need a point in the right direction ring me back.

Last edited:
get the FSM here:

Also download the A442 transmission manual, you need to pull your codes for the trans. Poke through the FSM's if you need a point in the right direction ring me back.
Thanks, I've got some reading to do

Post #10 is what we discovered.

Neutral Safety Switch barrel connector. Check, inspect, repair.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't fix it. I sold it to my brother and he drives it as is (close to 400k miles now) He just drops it in reverse for a couple of seconds then into drive and it drives normally after that. I do think it just would need to have the shifter adjusted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom