Transfer Case Leak | Please Educate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'84 FJ60 with Chevy LS and H55F swap.

Slow oil leak and pooling on ground when parked from T case.

It looks like it's coming from this wiring harness on top of the T case (see picture - zoom in close and you'll see a drop of oil starting to pool)

1) What does this wire lead to?
2) Is this a common leak point? Is it a bad washer or o-ring? Or something else?

Appreciate any help.

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

Those are range position sensors found on a lot of 88-newer cases (All USDM FJ62's and many 70 series). Are they actually plugged into anything on your 60? I see what looks like a twin stick shifter, someone must have replaced your transfer case's rear half at some point.

haha welp. @cruisermatt thanks for the confidence to pull the wire a bit and interesting to hear what that would be used for. Those indeed go nowhere on my setup (see 1st pic). And yes I've got a twin stick now (see 2nd pic)

I thought the same thing about being high up @FJ Silver 🤔 But I was able to get a small rotation with the vice grips (tough position). I'm hoping that does it 🤞

@PanhandleFJ i knowww. Fresh carwash but I promise she's seen some mud here in southern MT ;)

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2944.jpg

Did you check the oil level in the transfer case? If it is too high it might cause a leak like that. An over full transfer case could indicate a low transmission and a leak between the two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom