TOYOTA, more than ever before... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, this arrived with startling quickness… OEM Toyota gasket kit. I went out on a limb and bought something from EBay. It came in a Toyota/Lexus box and looks to be complete. Not sure it’s 100% OEM though. It came from Dubai. It was $180 plus shipping and it got here in a week. Looks complete. Gaskets look like they’re all Toyota quality. Paper gaskets are the correct color. Cork looks right. Maybe it is all legit?
A784820A-7B2B-46F5-89C6-F27C8822B06B.jpeg

There’s old 2F head gaskets and the new updated 2F head gasket.

The new head gasket looks like this:
Compare the hole sizes carefully.

FCAB0F9B-F9C3-4AF3-B2BE-9DCD3B7F20B1.jpeg

After a closer look this is not OEM stuff. Some of it is pretty nice. I think some of it is felpro and some mahal. This head gasket does not look like the one @OSS posted. It’s very close but there are some extra openings for water water jacket passages that do not exist on my engine.
E849C981-EA10-4A63-9FA0-D30FBA93C1B2.jpeg
CA0D37FE-CBED-4552-A21C-8AECB34B5219.jpeg

ECA70722-BE23-4A8E-84F1-8160B1A44F08.jpeg

The more I look at things the more I realize the original head gasket also had what see like discrepancies. There are some coolant passages that are blocked off completely by the gasket. There are provisions in the gasket for passages that are non existent in the block or head. Some passages are severely restricted by the gasket. It makes me wonder if this engine has been apart before. I know the pan and timing cover gasket had been opened before I got the truck. Everything else looked original. But I wonder….

Were the head gaskets like that from the factory?
5BF4F386-44B0-461B-BC67-07D360761FC4.jpeg

The more I look at things the more I realize the original head gasket also had what see like discrepancies. There are some coolant passages that are blocked off completely by the gasket. There are provisions in the gasket for passages that are non existent in the block or head. Some passages are severely restricted by the gasket. It makes me wonder if this engine has been apart before. I know the pan and timing cover gasket had been opened before I got the truck. Everything else looked original. But I wonder….

Were the head gaskets like that from the factory? View attachment 3187099

i can confirm and verify the rear main oil seal for you 100% SOLID tech ....

post photos of the outer / top flat side , steady handed zoom in on all the tiny logos words and symbols ect ,,,,

i will give you the truth no matter if its gonna hurt or not , you need to know !

also ,

is there a white , red and black Toyota parts tag label on it anywhere ?

photos or it don't exist photos of the parts box outer sides ,

the ink colors and what it says tell alot too

That's the OE 61030 HG.

i can confirm and verify the rear main oil seal for you 100% SOLID tech ....

post photos of the outer / top flat side , steady handed zoom in on all the tiny logos words and symbols ect ,,,,

i will give you the truth no matter if its gonna hurt or not , you need to know !

also ,

is there a white , red and black Toyota parts tag label on it anywhere ?

photos or it don't exist photos of the parts box outer sides ,

the ink colors and what it says tell alot too
The rear main seems to have a felt lip on the outer edge. I’ll take it out of the bag for a photo later. Here’s the parts number tag. Shows up as legit when I search it.
B03C0406-C3EE-4FB3-BA48-4CF29F08FE1A.jpeg

That's the OE 61030 HG.
Are these things suppose to block and restrict coolant flow in some areas? I’ll admit my utter ignorance of head gasket technology here other than the basic types.

Are these things suppose to block and restrict coolant flow in some areas?

Yes. The new head gasket at least has modified cooling hole sizes that don’t match up perfectly with the block. In one case I think a front passageway in the block gets completely blocked by the new HG.

It seemed to me that Toyota optimized the coolant flow through the head by tweaking the head gasket in the later design. The block passageways were set in stone with the casting but the head gasket could be modified later on to improve overall flow.
A blocked hole in the front likely was done to increase flow farther back where things are hotter.

@Spike Strip @cps432 head casting 61030 is the late 1970s 40 Series 2F, correct? Not the 1981+ head? I think 60 Series and 1981+ 40s have head casting 61040.

I’m not certain. I’ll look at my casting later tonight.
It's towards the front of the head, on top, air rail side.

@cps432

I was mistaken - That's a 61010 HG 1/75-10/84 2F

I looked closely at a 61030 I have, and the only difference is the placement of two coolant holes. I think Jim C. once said there were some internal casting changes to the head when the 3F engine came on-line (for the rest of the world) around '85.

@CruiserTrash

Yes, US-spec FJ60s should have a 61040 head.

@cps432

I was mistaken - That's a 61010 HG 1/75-10/84 2F

I looked closely at a 61030 I have, and the only difference is the placement of two coolant holes. I think Jim C. once said there were some internal casting changes to the head when the 3F engine came on-line (for the rest of the world) around '85.

@CruiserTrash

Yes, US-spec FJ60s should have a 61040 head.

@OSS
And a different head head gasket (I.e., me meant for maybe the 61030 or 61010) might see an improvement in cooling when applied to the 61040? Is that what I’m hearing? Block off certain coolant passages to improve flow or velocity in others? The “improved” head gasket is whatever the latest supercession Toyota offers for the part?

Last edited:
Yes, I think the HG changes were intended to improve cooling to the number 5 and 6 cylinder, but they may have been necessitated by the changes to the head casting for 2F/3F 3F and 3FE which all use the 61030 HG.

I don't know if the 61030 superseded the 61010 for earlier 2Fs, probably not since Toyota still sells the 61010 HG

FWIW, the 11/84 on HG was originally a 61020, then super'd to 61030.

Based on personal experience with a cruddy aftermarket head gasket (that was touted as “fine” by the vendor), I think it’s imperative that the correct Toyota HG is used because having to remove the cylinder head a 2nd time is enough to bring a grown man to tears

Based on personal experience with a cruddy aftermarket head gasket (that was touted as “fine” by the vendor), I think it’s imperative that the correct Toyota HG is used because having to remove the cylinder head a 2nd time is enough to bring a grown man to tears
I’ll be sourcing a correct gasket for my engine. Toyota only. I’m fairly certain, now, that this is in fact a Toyota gasket kit. It’s including the pre 85 parts though. I think I’ll be able to use most of the other gaskets.

What year is your truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom