TOYOTA, more than ever before... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve gone through most of that enormous thread and it is truly an inspiration.

hey @cps432 n @CruiserTrash

don't doubt your capabilities guys, we have a young lady in here who's done what you are working on n considerably more. apparently, she'll NeverGiveUpYotas. find her build thread n check it out for inspiration, it's bad @$$
I’ve followed Felicity’s build thread for years. She did this while raising a kid and working in a covid ward in the height of the pandemic. I can handle this in my heated garage!

The hot tank did smell nice! The lumber did char some. I kept an eye on it and kept the flames low enough that they didn’t ignite the wood. I kept a bucket of water nearby in case. If I was to do it again I would get some concrete pavers to stack rather than the wood.

I ran that propane can for about 6-8 hours at a time and did that 4 times. The liquid never got to a rolling boil, but it was hot enough to do the job. You can certainly see currents churning through the engine passages. Remove all the freeze plugs first. I tanked the head twice because I was lazy and didn’t remove the plugs first.

I also let the parts sit in the solution over night after warming the liquid for hours. I repeated the process the next day before removing them and cleaning them up with compressed air and wire brushes.

My father has a crab boiler that was built on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico out of pipes and boring tools. It puts out an alarmingly large flame. If I had that sucker I’m sure the tank would come to a rolling boil. The one I have is smaller and I kept the flames dialed back a bit. I don’t think I was putting out enough BTUs to overcome the heat dissipation from the barrel so it only ever got really warm and never scalding hot. I’m sure it would work even better if that were the case.

I’m on the fence with the valves and seats. I know the guides are worn and need to be replaced. I suspect I can regrind the valves and seats with a set of Neway valve seat tools. Just seems like a lot of work and the tools are pretty spendy for what they are and how often I’m gonna use them (once… maybe twice in my life?)

I’m not too keen on doing a shade tree valve lapping and calling it good. A machine shop is gonna be expensive, a long drive, and a long turn around time.

I’m leaning towards buying the tools and doing it myself. I can sell the valve seat cutters on eBay I’m sure. They’re nice tools.

Amayama has new OEM seats, guides, and valves. I’ve also sourced aftermarket parts from some of our reliable vendor friends. This could get very expensive very quickly or I might be able to pull something off with bare minimum tools. Any ideas or thoughts?

View attachment 3218863View attachment 3218864View attachment 3218865View attachment 3218867
VERY nice tools. Those seat cutters are amazing. I watched so many videos.
Lapping isn’t hard at all. I did a few but then I lucked out and @TRAIL TAILOR contacted me that he had some Japanese valves. I went from there and used his gift.
I’m reading back here. @OSS prompted me to the compliments paid by @kirvesmies later… I always appreciate his kudos and saw yours too Chris.
But really when it comes to this work, I know YOU can do it. You’ve shown us your tenacity is great and worthy of this many banana task. Someone near you might have an old head to practice on? Or junk yard head? And old valves are easy… I might have a few for you to play w/.
I’ve not been on mud much. This winter has sucked. Work sucks. My attitude sucks. My bees are down from 9 to 1. Crossing everything I can cross they make it through. CT winters blow. I have found that my little self grown flush of psilocybin has become something of a antidepressant for sure and w/o it I’d be ****ing miserable.
I wish I was closer… I’d love to help if I could. I’ll keep reading.❤️
FYI I’ve got the lapping compound, a tool… if you want I can send them. It’s not much. Lmk.

Last edited:
Been a little while since I updated here. Work has been very busy and demanding the last few weeks. Taylor Swift is going on tour this summer and we’re making a new batch of custom guitars for her. They need to be finished soon so they have some time to be guitars before she takes them on the road. I kinda can’t believe this is my job right now… 🤯

I keep getting tonsillitis too, so I’ve been pretty exhausted. I persist none the less.

I’ve been slowly cleaning some parts up and prepping for paint. Got some color on the bellhousing, timing cover, and oil filter mount. I’m keeping the oil cooler and mounts black. I went back and forth on the blue for a few weeks until I found the color I was looking for. It’s gonna look awesome under the hood. I’m glad I did it.

A3A3855A-942B-490E-A767-24991274EF42.jpeg

I got the pistons and rods cleaned up. I’ll reuse them. They’re in fine shape. They were an absolute mess and I had to soak them in ChemDip for 24 hours to loosen the carbon deposits. I still had to scrub them for a while after that. That took over a week to compete.

98FF00B5-E21A-46F6-93B9-8208EFF7EDB1.jpeg

Collecting new parts too. Got new valves and guides. New timing plate screws. Cam plug. Spark plugs and wires. New Remflex gasket. New Aisin oil pump. I’m debating just getting new valve seats as opposed to buying a cutter tool. I think it’s gonna cost about the same either way. I’m not sure if I would need to cut the new seats at all or if they would be ready to lap right away. Any thoughts?

16D8C695-1D85-4848-8E0E-2796562C1651.jpeg

Got this for free. Gonna have fun this weekend.
83C052A7-3DDF-482D-9EBA-EA3F25149AE2.jpeg

I have decided to go back to a carbureted engine. After reading a bunch of info about the Sniper it seems that there is a problem with the way it functions with this engine. I do not want to mess around with it after rebuilding this thing. The intake was designed for use with a carb and that’s what I’m going to install when it’s done. No more stalling out upon deceleration.

Now for finding a new carb and the ancillary components I need to make it work.

I know I need a fuel cut solenoid and a new plug for the OEM wiring harness as well as linkage for the throttle pedal. I’ll post a wanted ad in the classifieds. If anyone has any leads on the parts I need to go back to stock I would appreciate the input.

What’re your thoughts on installing the HAC? Worth it?

I run the HAC. You’re in Montana and if you intend on doing any traveling to lowlands it would be good to have.

I’m also in the middle of thinking about that though. In addition to advancing static timing 6*, it leans out the mixture. At high altitude there’s less oxygen in there so that makes sense, but I feel like it may lean out the mixture a little much. Maybe a check valve on that plumbing is my direction.

Regardless, I say keep the HAC.

I run the HAC. You’re in Montana and if you intend on doing any traveling to lowlands it would be good to have.

I’m also in the middle of thinking about that though. In addition to advancing static timing 6*, it leans out the mixture. At high altitude there’s less oxygen in there so that makes sense, but I feel like it may lean out the mixture a little much. Maybe a check valve on that plumbing is my direction.

Regardless, I say keep the HAC.
My thoughts too. I know the early F motors didn’t have them. The carb had easy access to the jets so you could replace them quickly depending on what altitude you found yourself at. I’d rather not do that… haha!

My thoughts too. I know the early F motors didn’t have them. The carb had easy access to the jets so you could replace them quickly depending on what altitude you found yourself at. I’d rather not do that… haha!
It's not a very complicated circuit, really the HAC valve is the only thing to test. Easy to see if it goes bad by checking the timing and pulling the vac line off the smaller diaphragm. They’re not that hard to find either. Any 80s Toyota truck (maybe the cars too) at a junkyard should have one that’s the same or close. So yeah, I’m for keeping it.

It's not a very complicated circuit, really the HAC valve is the only thing to test. Easy to see if it goes bad by checking the timing and pulling the vac line off the smaller diaphragm. They’re not that hard to find either. Any 80s Toyota truck (maybe the cars too) at a junkyard should have one that’s the same or close. So yeah, I’m for keeping it.
Finding a working HAC valve is probably the toughest thing. My original wasn’t working as intended which is part of the reason I went with the sniper. Turns out the truck still got even more sluggish when I hit the high plains of Wyoming. That’s probably due to other issues, but I defiantly noticed how the altitude and temperature change effected the engine.

Finding a working HAC valve is probably the toughest thing. My original wasn’t working as intended which is part of the reason I went with the sniper. Turns out the truck still got even more sluggish when I hit the high plains of Wyoming. That’s probably due to other issues, but I defiantly noticed how the altitude and temperature change effected the engine.
Like I said: any junkyard … most any 80s Toyota. 🤫 I *think* new ones are still sold by Toyota for a different application (a 1980s vehicle of some kind) that can be used in 60s. Can’t remember where I saw that though.

Really there’s not much to go wrong in the HAC - no heat, no carbon, no fuel vapor. It’s clean air passing through it. They get stuck from being above or below 4000’ elevation, but you can free them up. Gently try compressed air, some non-solvent cleaner, or removing the lower part that contains the filter material to use a small tool to move the diaphragm. Replace the filter media while you’re at it - different options in the Home Depot HVAC aisle work if you cut to size.

Like I said: any junkyard … most any 80s Toyota. 🤫 I *think* new ones are still sold by Toyota for a different application (a 1980s vehicle of some kind) that can be used in 60s. Can’t remember where I saw that though.

Really there’s not much to go wrong in the HAC - no heat, no carbon, no fuel vapor. It’s clean air passing through it. They get stuck from being above or below 4000’ elevation, but you can free them up. Gently try compressed air, some non-solvent cleaner, or removing the lower part that contains the filter material to use a small tool to move the diaphragm. Replace the filter media while you’re at it - different options in the Home Depot HVAC aisle work if you cut to size.
I did all of that years ago when I first had problems passing emissions. You’re right. They are very simple. My guess is mine was stuck and I either broke something while messing with it or failed to free it up. I found one on eBay for a reasonable price, but maybe a new one from Mr. T would be justified. I’ll look into it!

@cps432 I found one in my stash today. Haven’t tested but get in touch if you need it.

I got the oil pan, clutch cover, and side cover stripped down today. I’ll finish degreasing with acetone later this week and start painting them.

1EE65773-3E50-4760-94DA-74ACE7DA71B4.jpeg

Here’s my solution to slightly warped/pitted mating surfaces.

36A3D951-64A1-4228-AC8A-8EF10FCF13A0.jpeg
EDD9C716-196D-4C08-9010-F761A90D58C0.jpeg

150 grit Emory cloth is doing the job slow and steady. I simply sprayed the back side of the cloth with 3M adhesive and stuck it to the glass shower door. I’m using it as a sanding block. Sit on the floor and “row”… and row and row. It’s gonna take a while to get through all the mating surfaces I plan to flatten, but I paid nothing for the glass. Emory cloth is pricier than regular wet/dry paper, but it doesn’t break down as quickly and doesn’t leave grit all over the place.

B6207124-52A1-4F9C-8421-C816636DF919.jpeg
DECF850C-45AC-4055-A6A7-D26558E2726C.jpeg
5CDEABD5-03B3-4ECD-BF02-7F944E08FCA7.jpeg

I’m rotating the glass every 50 passes or so. I change positions as well to make sure I’m not putting pressure on one side or the other. Or if I do, it’s countered by hitting it from the other side with the same number of passes. Counting your strokes is key when flattening things by hand. Your body physics will cause imperfections so you’ve got to mitigate it to the best of your ability. I do this all day long at work on a smaller scale. Literally hundreds of times a week.

@cps432 Awesome idea on the shower glass! That stuff is alot tougher than most people think. I've checked hand planes this way as well, with a smaller piece.
Why do you prefer Acetone to a de-greaser like simple green....etc...?

@cps432 Awesome idea on the shower glass! That stuff is alot tougher than most people think. I've checked hand planes this way as well, with a smaller piece.
Why do you prefer Acetone to a de-greaser like simple green....etc...?
I boiled everything in simple green a few months ago. I use that stuff for initial degreasing and crud cutting. Once the original paint has been stripped with a paint stripper I prep for new paint with acetone. It removes the residue from the stripper.

Acetone also dissolves oil and penetrates the pores of the metal and wicks it out to the surface. Then you wipe it off. Do that a few times and then hit the surface with a blow torch to remove any moisture. Repeat until you can wipe it without picking up any junk.

It’s the most effective way I have found to prep metal parts for primer and enamel. I’ve done rattle can before and it never lasts. This time I’m brushing on Rustoleum rusty metal primer. Two coats. Then three or four coats of Rustoleum enamel. Sure it leaves brush strokes… but have you actually taken a look at the original paint? My block had a bunch of runs in the original enamel. I’m not building a 69 Camaro show car here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom