Toyo Open Country AT3 or Falken Wildpeak AT3 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost time to change tires, been riding on Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/65/18 going to 285/75/16, both factory wheels. Had BFH KO2's before, ride was a bit too harsh for me. Occasional dirt/gravel and some sand driving, mostly urban paved daily driver, so road noise and comfort is important.
Trying to pick between the two listed above, any advice would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I don’t have experience with either, that said I have Cooper AT3 XLT’s on my 80 and they’ve been fantastic. It’s a DD that I wheel pretty hard a couple times a year and the Coopers are dead quiet, round and have taken some punishment without issue. FWIW I will be switching to the Coopers when it’s time to ditch the KO2’s on the 100.

Last edited:
Toyo and Nitto are sister companies and use pretty much similar if not the same resin and raw materials. My previous set was Falken AT3Ws load E and they were great, tread wear is by far the best compared to my previous and current Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Between Nitto and Falken, based from experience I would go for Falken, better value for the price.

I've been running the TOYO AT3 LT275/65R18 since July of 2021. I have almost 25k miles on them and they are still going strong. Just looking at them, I'd guess I have another 25k miles to go! They've been great on the highway since I have to put the mile in to head South to the desert where I like to go the most. Photo below is the day I put them on...
ToyoLT275:65R18.jpeg

TronaPin.jpeg

FishCanyonDV.jpeg

I’ve got falken at3’s and they are awsome. They are Quiet and handle well on the road. I would recommend them over Bfg at’s and I have both.

I like the toyos too compared to bfg ats.

I've been running the TOYO AT3 LT275/65R18 since July of 2021. I have almost 25k miles on them and they are still going strong. Just looking at them, I'd guess I have another 25k miles to go! They've been great on the highway since I have to put the mile in to head South to the desert where I like to go the most. Photo below is the day I put them on...
View attachment 3497296
View attachment 3497300
View attachment 3497301
My current Nitto Ridge Grappler is same size as your Toyo except it's 285, I like Toyo has more side walls being 65.

I just came from a set of Toyo Open Country AT3s, P 265/70r18s. Your use is very similar to mine, occasional off the pavement, but mostly road use - lots of family road trips. I found the Toyos had a noticeable hum from day one, not too bad, but could hear them. They were great tires overall, had them in snow and some mild off-road (trails at Joshua Tree), good wet traction as well. But, they got noticeably louder as they aged, not uncommon, I know. After three years and 55k, I had to replace. After doing more tire research, I went with Nokian’s new AT, the Outpost nAT. Quieter than the Toyos and really comfortable on road. Plus, I think they look great. Same size as before. Hope this helps somewhat.

IMG_2338.jpeg

IMG_7560.jpeg

IMG_7557.jpeg

IMG_7544.jpeg

APC_5953.jpeg

Pretty cool looking and I've never really heard of this brand. Seems reputable. Will dig in more and research.

The original Outpost AT was replaced with the nAT (North American version). They are not in their system yet and had to special order them. If you google Outpost nAT, you’ll find specs on their site. Another mud member has started a thread on them, he has the LT version and seems to be liking them as well.

I believe that as the tires wear, only the percentage left is visible on the tread. The tire is really quiet - the center tread lug pattern is random and helps keep it from resonating/humming (still need to research more about how it really works). I like the sidewall design as well.

I've got the Toyos on my 200 and the Falkens on my 100. Both are great tires. I've got 40k on the Toyos and they look like they'll go another 10k or so. The Falkens are slightly cheaper, so I might go that route when the Toyos wear out. Can't go wrong with either one, though.

I would advise you to go to a 17" wheels instead. Both those tire models you want are available in C-Load (or even Passenger sizes if you wanted).

Reactions: GTV
I have been running the same set of Nitto Grapplers for over 10 years. Getting ready to replace them with the same (similar) model. They are finally losing chunks in the rocks. Great tires. Same price as the same size Toyos. (I run 16 inch wheels on the 100)

Over course of 10 years, what type of pavement you have been driving on? 90% paved roads, 10% off road gravel? For example. That's a long time for set of tires.

My local tire store quoted me $355 per tire plus install etc. for the Toyo P285/60R20 116T Open Country A/T III for my 2017 Series 200. Is that a good deal and a good tire for our Offroad’s in AZ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom