Toyo AT III vs BFG K02 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will be purchasing tires soon for my 2015 LX. They will go on 17” EVO Corse wheels. Which tire is best?

Specifically the ATII not the updated ATIII?

We have ATIII's on our LX470, '13 Land Cruiser, and on a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel that :princess: hauls her horses around with. No issues and we started with ATII's a set or two ago. My cruiser uses Blizzaks in the winter.

be ready to dig rocks out of KO2s while you're gassing up :rolleyes: 😫

We have ATIII's on our LX470, '13 Land Cruiser, and on a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel that :princess: hauls her horses around with. No issues and we started with ATII's a set or two ago. My cruiser uses Blizzaks in the winter.

Whats your tire pressure you using on the 13 Land Cruiser?

Looked at the AT IIIs on the discount tire web site. I will be getting size 285 70 17. There is an option for load/speed rating. The options are 116Q 117T or 121S. Which option is best?

Looked at the AT IIIs on the discount tire web site. I will be getting size 285 70 17. There is an option for load/speed rating. The options are 116Q 117T or 121S. Which option is best?
In general the lower load rating will be a marginally lighter weight tire and have better manners on road. All of those are high enough to handle the 200-series requirements, so there is a decent argument to go with the lightest weight one.

What’s your intended use? Off-road? Desert? Woodland? Gravel? Starbucks? Tractor pull?

What’s your intended use? Off-road? Desert? Woodland? Gravel? Starbucks? Tractor pull?

daily driver with some trips to the beach or mountains. Mostly city driving. When I select the lowest load index of 116Q it defaults to load range C1. 117T is SL and 121S is E.
T is the least expensive followed by Q with the S range E the most expensive. They go up by about $100 per tire with each.

The 117T SL tire is the lightest weight at 46lbs which is about 10 lbs lighter than the higher rated tires. Would that provide better fuel economy? Rated to carry 2833 lbs per tire

daily driver with some trips to the beach or mountains. Mostly city driving. When I select the lowest load index of 116Q it defaults to load range C1. 117T is SL and 121S is E.
T is the least expensive followed by Q with the S range E the most expensive. They go up by about $100 per tire with each.

The 3 Toyo Open Country A/T III options are (Toyo web site for reference: Toyo Web Site):

1. P285/70R17 117T SL Weight: 46lbs Max Speed: 118mph RCTIP on your 2015 LX570: 26psi F/R
2. LT285/70R17 116/113Q Load Range C Weight: 55lbs Max Speed: 100mph RCTIP on your 2015 LX570: 35psi F/R
3. LT285/70R17 121/118S Load Range E Weight: 53lbs Max Speed: 112mph RCTIP on your 2015 LX570: 35psi F/R

If your main use is as a daily driver, then the low weight and high maximum sped rating (safety at highway speeds) of the P285/70R17 combined with its low RCTIP would probably give you the most comfortable and fuel efficient option.

If you want the dramatically higher durability of an LT tire, then it looks like the Load Range E would be the best option - lighter weight than the Load Range C with a higher maximum safe speed and the same RCTIP.

Your money, your choice.

HTH

Last edited:
There will be a dramatic ride quality advantage with the much lower inflation pressure of the P285/70r17. Also mileage will be significantly better.

I run the ATII in that size on my cruiser and am very happy with them, but yes it won’t be as tough as a load range E in the rocks. Still, quite a few trips to rocky trails in Colorado and no issues other than a flat that would have also killed the LT-E.

There will be a dramatic ride quality advantage with the much lower inflation pressure of the P285/70r17. Also mileage will be significantly better.

I run the ATII in that size on my cruiser and am very happy with them, but yes it won’t be as tough as a load range E in the rocks. Still, quite a few trips to rocky trails in Colorado and no issues other than a flat that would have also killed the LT-E.

are you referencing the SL tire with a weight of 46 lbs and inflation of 26 psi?

are you referencing the SL tire with a weight of 46 lbs and inflation of 26 psi?
Yes. If you look closely at the beginning of the size listings you’ll see a P or LT, and that shows roughly what construction category it is in.

Also for the record the LT-metric tire has deeper and more spaced out tread blocks, so it should be better in mud. This is part of the mileage penalty, as I understand it.

Those P-metric tires get me very close to stock mileage. LT-E KO2s on stock 18s that were actually not quite as tall as these P-metrics dropped my highway mileage by 3mpg. It is a real effect.

The 3 Toyo Open Country A/T III options are (Toyo web site for reference: Toyo Web Site):

1. P285/70R17 117T SL Weight: 46lbs Max Speed: 118mph RCTIP on your 2015 LX570: 26psi F/R
2. LT285/70R17 116/113Q Load Range C Weight: 55lbs Max Speed: 100mph RCTIP on your 2015 LX570: 35psi F/R
3. LT285/70R17 121/118S Load Range E Weight: 53lbs Max Speed: 112mph RCTIP on your 2015 LX570: 35psi F/R

If your main use is as a daily driver, then the low weight and high maximum sped rating (safety at highway speeds) of the P285/70R17 combined with its low RCTIP would probably give you the most comfortable and fuel efficient option.

If you want the dramatically higher durability of an LT tire, then it looks like the Load Range E would be the best option - lighter weight than the Load Range C with a higher maximum safe speed and the same RCTIP.

Your money, your choice.

HTH

Good stuff putting this together to see the options side by side.

For those weighing between these 3 options, some commentary that may or may not help.

Option 1: these would be great for the mild off-roader that wants as close to stock NVH as possible, while gaining great AT tire capabilities including durability, traction, looks etc. On looks, it has been noted that Toyo AT IIIs are pretty mild looking tires with side lugs that are barely there, almost only embossed. For the OP considering the KO2s, P-rated AT IIIs will be meek by comparison. These will be the best riding of the 3 however, and likely way better than any KO2. Note on tire pressure, even in RCTIP only calls for 26psi, I would go up from that as it will ride and handle flaccidly at that pressure. RCTIP is more a function of load and heat, and additional pressure may need to be tailored for feel, even wear across the tread, and sidewall rollover in cornering beyond that.

Option 2 vs 3: For Toyo AT IIIs, the LT tire will have significantly more aggressive side lugs and +3mm deeper treads (P - 13.6, LT - 16.5). Still not as aggressive (looking) as a KO2, but better broader qualities including NVH, dry handling, and snow handing. Load Range C may be a good option as it will have incrementally better ride qualities than the LR-E option, if ride is a high priority. C may not necessarily be giving up anything in durability to the LR-E version. LR-E construction is more a function of carcass pressure handling than anything (80PSI vs 50PSI, LR-E to LR-C). Of note, the LR-C vs LR-E is 32.8" vs 33.0" respectively and taller with a tad less weight may actually be a win win.

The right choice will depend on what individuals prioritize.

Last edited:
Good stuff putting this together to see the options side by side.

For those weighing between these 3 options, some commentary that may or may not help.

Option 1: these would be great for the mild off-roader that wants as close to stock NVH as possible, while gaining great AT tire capabilities including durability, traction, looks etc. On looks, it has been noted that Toyo AT IIIs are pretty mild looking tires with side lugs that are barely there, almost only embossed. For the OP considering the KO2s, P-rated AT IIIs will be meek by comparison. These will be the best riding of the 3 however, and likely way better than any KO2. Note on tire pressure, even in RCTIP only calls for 26psi, I would go up from that as it will ride and handle flaccidly at that pressure. RCTIP is more a function of load and heat, and pressure may need to be tailored for feel beyond that.

Option 2 vs 3: For Toyo AT IIIs, the LT tire will have significantly more aggressive side lugs and +3mm deeper treads (P - 13.6, LT - 16.5). Still not as aggressive (looking) as a KO2, but better broader qualities including NVH, dry handling, and snow handing. Load Range C may be a good option as it will have incrementally better ride qualities than the LR-E option, if ride is a high priority. E may not necessarily be giving up anything in durability to the LR-E version. LR-E construction is more a function of carcass pressure handling than anything (80PSI vs 50PSI, LR-E to LR-C). Of note, the LR-C vs LR-E is 32.8" vs 33.0" respectively and taller with a tad less weight may actually be a win win.

The right choice will depend on what individuals prioritize.

thanks. Good info. I am looking for a more aggressive looking tire. If I understand what you are saying, options 2 and 3 have more pronounced side wall treads? So the trade off Is the ride quality and off road durability and fuel economy. Option 1 would provide up to 3mpg better economy?

thanks. Good info. I am looking for a more aggressive looking tire. If I understand what you are saying, options 2 and 3 have more pronounced side wall treads? So the trade off Is the ride quality and off road durability and fuel economy. Option 1 would provide up to 3mpg better economy?
I should note that in MY case it was 3mpg, but this was consistent across many thousands of miles cruising at the same speeds. Other rigs with different builds and aero characteristics could be very different.

Yes, the p-metric tire is very mild looking. Better than stock, but a mud tire, this isn’t. I definitely like the appearance of KO2 and the LT flavors of the ATIII more, but at the time fuel economy and ride quality were more important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom