Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forgot to ask. Are you running LT 10 ply tires or similar to stock? Thanks again.

Like @coleAK , I run 10-ply LT tires. I also kept the stock 20" wheels to maximize sidewall stability under tow. If towing heavy, I do believe that upgrading to LT tires will improve resistance against sway and increase stability. I also increase my tire pressures ~4 PSI front and 6 PSI rear, from the 36PSI that I run in my 305/55/20s when not towing.

Not really necessary but I have 1" spacers in my wheels that increase track 2". It's primarily to clear my wide 305 tires. I've never towed without these, but I'm presuming they do lend a tad more lateral stability with the wider stance.

Last edited:
Took some measurements when hitching up this weekend. These are ground to top of wheel well opening. Both grey and black tanks were full, fresh tank was empty. The first 2 are over and behind the trailer axle, respectively.

Yes I know center of hub is better but they serve my purpose:

- my standard Tough Dog setup, 240# rear coils, airbags at 5psi, trailer not attached: 38” front, 38.5” rear
- with rear airbags inflated but trailer unhitched: 38” front, 39” rear
- hitched trailer, but weight distribution not yet on: 38 5/8” front, 37.5” rear
- hitched trailer, WD attached and on the 11th link of my BlueOx hitch (highest it goes): 38 1/4” front, 38” rear

Just got back from wheeling my Trailer
View attachment 1785714

I made a bad assumption in swapping out the receiver that the ball bolt hole would be the same size. I didn't check to see if the bolt hole for the hitch ball would be the same size I ASSumed and was wrong.

The first night at camp I noticed that the Tregg hitch was separating from the receiver and turns out the hole is as big as the nut and washer. Since I installed the Tregg part on the truck I didnt notice and have learned to always flip it over to take a look

After contemplating it for a while we figured the metal bracket off my Hi-Lift was the perfect size and ran with that the whole rest of the trip without issues. Took it apart and can see the whole is much bigger. The Reeves receiver hole matches the bolt so I will either go back to that one or look for a sleeve of some sort
View attachment 1785717 View attachment 1785718 View attachment 1785719

Last year I went back to the old hitch as I couldnt find a sleeve that would work and I was still a bit edgy from almost losing the trailer in the outskirts of the Colorado Wyoming border.

As previously posted the hole in this hitch was much bigger than the previous one and my Australian Tregg hitch
1563745418344.png

This caused the washer and the bolt to go inside the hole and it would have gone all the way through had I not noticed it. Fortunately I used a plate from my hi lift between the bolt to ensure a good mount for the rest of the trip

So wanting to loose that 2" from the back of the truck to essentially the ball, I decided to give it another go. I tried the 3/4" to 1" bushing and it was too small. I tried the 1 to 1 1/4 bushing and it was too big. So I cut the smaller one in two and reshaped it a bit.
IMG_0787.JPG

I then aligned it in the center. Initially tried a side but that made the hitch a bit cockeyed
IMG_0789.JPG

I also couldn't find a big enough washer with the right size hole so I bought the biggest Zinc coated one I could find at Home Depot and dremeled the hole until it fit. I also bought a 1" lock washer to use instead of the one the hitch came with. Even with the flat washer, I wanted a lock washer that was bigger than the hole
IMG_0790.JPG

I'll tighten it when I put it on the truck. I do not expect any issues with this. Probably not an issue for most as they can get a ball with a bigger shank. I had a unique situation

Reading it, people will wonder what I am talking about. Below are two posts that show the Toyota part number for a hitch that reduces the length from the back of the truck to the ball, providing increased stability for the trailer. Also quoted is my picture showing the difference

There is a Toyota part made for the integrated hitch on our trucks. Keeps the ball a little tighter to the bumper and gives some extra drop over a universal ball mount. Part number PT228-60084. Picked mine up on eBay for cheap.

View attachment 1769909
View attachment 1769910

I got the new receiver. It is just 2 inches shorter from the hitch pin to the ball so that should provide some improvement. I know I could drill a hole closer, but will go with this for now. Was towing fine before, just a little sway at very high speeds

View attachment 1773906

I tow a 27FB model that is 28' (curiously 1" longer than a 28 model?). For all intents and purposes, it's the same length and weight. From a power perspective, you're familiar with the potent 5.7L and I find it up to the task in the LX.

I like to vacation in mountains and around the Sierra's so I'm no stranger to towing over major passes. Stability wise, when I first considered the pairing, I was concerned with the short wheelbase. That has not been a problem. Stability for the asking even towing at higher speeds (75mph) up and down significant grades. I likewise use an Equalizer WD setup. Key is to keep the ball as close and tight to the bumper (to maximize wheelbase), and ensure enough WD tension to restore front axle weight.

The LC is indeed rated higher. On account of 300-400lbs more weight in options on the LX taking away payload and tow capacity. We know however the 200-series is conservatively rated. The LX stock will stay level and ride with more stability on account of dynamic suspension and damping. The adjustable height is a boon to hitching and leveling. I can't count how many times I've used it to my advantage in situations. It also works great with the WD bars as I can use "high" position to relax the bars when traversing driveways and dips. Lowering at freeway speeds also tightens the bars just when it's needed for higher speeds.

Airstreams tend to have greater tongue weight than quoted from the factory. I've not yet weighed mine, but those that have weighed these models show tongue weight in excess of 1000lbs. I added a generator to my tongue and heavier 6V batts so I'm sure I'm in excess of that. As long as the ball again is close and tight to the bumper, there's no issue and almost no porpoising to speak of.

Note that AHC can be augmented with spring spacers for additional carrying capacity. I've added 20mm of spacers to mine to ensure I can get into "high" position when I want to.

Just got back today from an awesome 1400 mile road trip through Mammoth, Tahoe, and Bay area.
View attachment 2022670
Teckis300 can I ask you what brand and where you bought 20mm rear spring spacers??? Thanks

Gents,

I want to thank everyone for the advice. Traded the Tundra in on a 2016 LC w/24k miles yesterday. Looking forward to adding airbags, new 10 plys, hooking up my equalizer w/WD and giving the 28ft FC a trip. Having driven up-armored LCs down range, I'm confident she can handle the airstream w/confidence. Thanks again!

-AD

I moved from EngineLink to OBD Fusion recently. OBD Fusion is $10, and it was another $10 to get the Toyota enhanced PIDs. However they're very helpful and include two transmissions temperatures (pan and torque converter, I assume) as well as engine oil temp (which is a formula I didn't have). They also have air-fuel ratios (both "requested" and "actual"), which I have on a different screen. The only thing I couldn't find was a gauge to measure brake fluid temp. I'm not sure if the ECU can actually tell that though. I was sitting parked for a few minutes when I took this - under normal use in 4th gear at ~65 mph all 4 temp gauges read around 194-196F. Transmission is running around 200F when I'm crusing at ~75mph.

Anyway well worth the $20 IMO. Here's the custom dashboard I put together. I tried t make the gauges kinda like the LC. With 34s on the truck, GPS speed is more accurate than the speedometer. Gear works when in S or D (reads 1-6 correctly) but Neutral up through Park just show up as other numerical values.

1566746545511.png

Solid! Glad you found what you were finally looking for.

Interesting that the ECU actually report altitude? Wonder how indirectly or directly measure that.

I'd be interested just for that instant digital fuel economy readout while towing. My '09 LX has a really coarse bar graph, the is practically useless to discern quantitative data.

Separately, what's your perception of of the lower gears, specifically 1 and 2, with 34s?

I do sometimes wish for the 8 speed as accelerating on major grades 6+% from a standstill in the mountains sometimes feels like it could use more gearing. Then the shift to 2nd is so wide, that if I didn't make sure to wind out first, will really put me out of the powerband in second. This is for 33.2" tires.

Teckis300 can I ask you what brand and where you bought 20mm rear spring spacers??? Thanks

Sorry I missed this.

I got mine from Amazon

Caveat is that they shipped me the wrong 10mm version. As I needed to get on a trip, rather than swap my existing 10mm with this new 20mm spacer, I just stacked both to get the 20mm I wanted. One is between the chassis and coil isolator/bump stop, and one is between the coil isolater/bump stop and spring.

The 10mm version (pictured) was the right diameter to fit over the coil isolator. So I imagine their 20mm would be as well.
1566748254534.png

Solid! Glad you found what you were finally looking for.

Interesting that the ECU actually report altitude? Wonder how indirectly or directly measure that.

I'd be interested just for that instant digital fuel economy readout while towing. My '09 LX has a really coarse bar graph, the is practically useless to discern quantitative data.

Separately, what's your perception of of the lower gears, specifically 1 and 2, with 34s?

I do sometimes wish for the 8 speed as accelerating on major grades 6+% from a standstill in the mountains sometimes feels like it could use more gearing. Then the shift to 2nd is so wide, that if I didn't make sure to wind out first, will really put me out of the powerband in second. This is for 33.2" tires.
Pretty sure Altitide comes from the GPS, similar to GPS Speed. You can get lat/lon as well

The instant fuel economy gauge is nice.

I hear the 8 speed handles larger tires better than the 6 speed. I found 34s on the 6 speed with ECT PWR enabled feel similar to stock tires (31s) with the transmission in "eco/normal" mode. I did note the same thing to my wife this trip that I think Toyota choose too short a 2nd gear as I need to run 1st out past 5500 RPMs when trying to accelerate to keep the truck in the power band when it goes to 2nd (about 3300-3500RPMs). The 2-3 shift is right on IMO.

I am planning to re-gear to 4:88s this winter. My fuel economy does suck, I don't feel I get enough drag even in 2nd when descending those 8% mountain grades, and I spend a lot of time in 2nd right now when climbing highway mountain passes like Monarch in CO which just feel like a slog. I know 4.88s won't solve everything of course.

Some manufacturers put a barometric pressure sensor within the MAF assembly. That said.. it wouldn’t be too hard/expensive to put the sensor within the ECU itself on the board but you’d lose the ability to change it if it failed.

Speed is a mileage killer, fo all vehicles, not just the LC. Towed our Casita (around 3000lbs loaded) from Tampa to Key Largo last week for a 10 night stay. We always select “avoid highways” when towing as we’re not in a hurry. Averaged 14mpg with speeds between 45 and 55 mph.

Pretty sure Altitide comes from the GPS, similar to GPS Speed. You can get lat/lon as well

The instant fuel economy gauge is nice.

I hear the 8 speed handles larger tires better than the 6 speed. I found 34s on the 6 speed with ECT PWR enabled feel similar to stock tires (31s) with the transmission in "eco/normal" mode. I did note the same thing to my wife this trip that I think Toyota choose too short a 2nd gear as I need to run 1st out past 5500 RPMs when trying to accelerate to keep the truck in the power band when it goes to 2nd (about 3300-3500RPMs). The 2-3 shift is right on IMO.

I am planning to re-gear to 4:88s this winter. My fuel economy does suck, I don't feel I get enough drag even in 2nd when descending those 8% mountain grades, and I spend a lot of time in 2nd right now when climbing highway mountain passes like Monarch in CO which just feel like a slog. I know 4.88s won't solve everything of course.
Is your rig heavy? I’m on 33’s with a light build. I’m going 4.30 that will get me a tad below stock w/31” tires.

@bloc I need to check the OBD Fusion app but I'm 99% sure there's a separate section with the GPS values which is where I got the altitude. I don't think the ECU knows anything about it directly, but I'm sure the ECU uses the lower MAF readings indirectly to keep the A/F mix at 14.6:1. There might be a barometic pressure reading in the MAF... if you're really curious I can check and report back on the various extended PIDs

@catastrofe - mileage definitely drops off with speed, but it sucks no matter what with a big heavy rectangular box behind me. With a 6000# trailer 9' tall and 8' wide I get about 7MPG @ 75, 8MPG @ 65, and 9MPG @ 55. +/- 0.5MPG depending on wind, road grades, etc. I did the math though and on a long road trip (20-30 horus) I'd rather get 7MPG and get somewhere hours earlier than go 55 and save a few bucks. I did find premium helped a bit with mileage and quite a bit with available power on tap (without standing on the skinny pedal) this trip, which is something I should probably write up in the future.

@SQRRRL - Yes, it's heavy. We're about 7300-7400# with kids, cooler, dog, etc. Trailer is another 6000#, of which ~800-850# is on the tongue. I considered 4.30 gears to get me back to the stock gearing (slightly taller) when on 34s but given how much of a slog towing is in the mountains I think others on this forum are probably right to go with 4.88s. On stock tires 4.30 would be about right with my trailer.

I don't feel I get enough drag even in 2nd when descending those 8% mountain grades, and I spend a lot of time in 2nd right now when climbing highway mountain passes like Monarch in CO which just feel like a slog. I know 4.88s won't solve everything of course.

This is a big one that we've not talked about much on the forums. I've certainly been on a few descents over 8%, fully laden and likely over GCWR (14,645 lbs) on 33's, where I wished I could grab first gear to get enough engine braking.

Yet that requires slowing down to something much below 20 mph for the ECU to let it shift down. The ECU is a bit too conservative in that it won't allow the downshift even if it won't overspeed the engine. I imagine it's likely protecting from a situation where a lurch of engine braking upon downshift, might momentarily cause a loss of traction.

The 8-speed and/or more gearing will certainly help in giving the engine more leverage in acceleration and braking to your point.

One of the basics in configuring vehicles for much heavier weights is gearing. Which is how a standard Ford V-10 can be used in HD trucks and motorhomes that are in excess of 20k++ pounds. I with you that you'll want better than stock gearing if you're traveling that heavy that often.

@bloc I need to check the OBD Fusion app but I'm 99% sure there's a separate section with the GPS values which is where I got the altitude. I don't think the ECU knows anything about it directly, but I'm sure the ECU uses the lower MAF readings indirectly to keep the A/F mix at 14.6:1. There might be a barometic pressure reading in the MAF... if you're really curious I can check and report back on the various extended PIDs

@catastrofe - mileage definitely drops off with speed, but it sucks no matter what with a big heavy rectangular box behind me. With a 6000# trailer 9' tall and 8' wide I get about 7MPG @ 75, 8MPG @ 65, and 9MPG @ 55. +/- 0.5MPG depending on wind, road grades, etc. I did the math though and on a long road trip (20-30 horus) I'd rather get 7MPG and get somewhere hours earlier than go 55 and save a few bucks. I did find premium helped a bit with mileage and quite a bit with available power on tap (without standing on the skinny pedal) this trip, which is something I should probably write up in the future.

@SQRRRL - Yes, it's heavy. We're about 7300-7400# with kids, cooler, dog, etc. Trailer is another 6000#, of which ~800-850# is on the tongue. I considered 4.30 gears to get me back to the stock gearing (slightly taller) when on 34s but given how much of a slog towing is in the mountains I think others on this forum are probably right to go with 4.88s. On stock tires 4.30 would be about right with my trailer.
Copy that. i don’t see the need to go heavier for my application. 4.30 will be like 4.10 on stock tires.
Now I just need to convince myself that I don’t need Toyota gears and go with Nitro. Good luck. Thanks again.

If I was going 4.30 I'd get a set of Tundra gears from Toyota. Possibly just pull-offs from a wrecked truck. Likely cheaper and Toyota gears seem to be very strong

Sorry I missed this.

I got mine from Amazon

Caveat is that they shipped me the wrong 10mm version. As I needed to get on a trip, rather than swap my existing 10mm with this new 20mm spacer, I just stacked both to get the 20mm I wanted. One is between the chassis and coil isolator/bump stop, and one is between the coil isolater/bump stop and spring.

The 10mm version (pictured) was the right diameter to fit over the coil isolator. So I imagine their 20mm would be as well.
View attachment 2066918
Teck,

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an airstream. I have taken out the AHC system on my lx470 and replaced it with land cruiser suspension so I think I can tackle adding a spacers on my LX570 Question I have for you?

When I do this what do I need to do with the AHC system? obviously I want to turn it off. Do I unplug the battery?. I am going to be pulling off the shocks to get the springs out once I get it all together will the AHC just automatically recalibrate itself or do I need to do something special? I don’t know a whole lot about the AHC I am going to just follow your lead and add some spacers as it makes sense that it will help the AHC with the airstreams high tongue weight... the wife and I settle on a 25fb we love the 28rb but feel the lx570 may not be up to the task...

Any tips, advice, direction would be helpful I want to get this set up prior to picking up the airstream. Thanks

I have a 2018 LX570, with 275/60r20 BFG KO2 tires. Other wise stock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom