Tortuga2 2 Indy/Caballo Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, full background on the situation is that I started coming out to PHX in 2015 for testing because Indycar decided to go back to PIR for a 2016 race after a long hiatus (hadn't raced there since '05). I had always loved the desert SW, but hadn't been back for any period of time since childhood. Between the time spent leading into the 2016 race and the experience of picking up the '40 in Sonoita, Brittany and I both decided F it, we're moving west. The move alone was pretty challenging, what ultimately happened was Brittany moving in August, our stuff moving out in August (behind Brittany), and me and my other cars moving out in October. Some crazy s*** happened that happened to enable me to move our stuff myself (with my dad's help). Google 2015 indycar texas crash...most terrified I've ever been for my driver on the timing stand. Long story, but I (unfortunately) ended up with a free weekend that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

The photos above are from that time period. After I finished the race season, we then took the opportunity to hit Route 66 and US60 (I actually preferred 60) in the other old relics. Pics from that trip below.

Somewhere on the way out:
IMAG1371.jpg

Had to hit up Toby Keith's I Love This Bar in OKC, this was a bigger night than it should've been with a decent drive ahead:
IMG_20161015_211728.jpg

Nothin like seeing your love behind the wheel of a classic while at the wheel of another, just cruisin:
IMAG1373.jpg

Overturned semi, somewhere in OK. We ultimately routed around everyone and through a gravel road that others were apparently afraid to take. Nothing for these old German steeds, they're meant to be used (that said I was afraid I'd start a fire with the heat exchangers in the brush so had to stay out of that):
IMAG1381.jpg

Ran out of room for photos, next:

Last edited:
Somewhere in NM, we did ABQ and Santa Fe while we were there:
IMAG1389.jpg

This thing was priced comically $$$ at the time if I remember correctly:
IMAG1391.jpg

This was Santa Fe, didn't meet the owners/travelers:
IMAG1394.jpg

Cool National Monument en route through west NM:
IMAG1409.jpg

Swung by Cadillac Ranch:
IMAG1385.jpg

And that is (surprisingly) pretty much it for photos, I did a s*** job taking pics after this. Prob was just too excited about being "home".

All of the above to say that these awesome trucks change lives for the better, many great adventures followed. Once we both were in AZ we spent a whirlwind couple of years exploring the beautiful SW. Had it not been for us finding our '40 in Sonoita, thanks to @OverLand Cruisers, we would have never ended up living it. Will follow up with some of those great adventures.

So now that we are both in AZ, our first trip was to go up to Sedona (Brittany said it was so beautiful and I literally knew nothing of it, hard to fathom now being a hardcore mountain biker). So we went up on the weekend before I went to work at my new job to hit up some red rock like I had never seen.

This is what setting off for a trip looked like (look at that cute new trasharoo)...little did I know how much that would change!:
IMAG1419.jpg

Made it to Sedona, somewhere on Soldier's Pass I think:
IMG_20161023_155722.jpg

Headed down the Devil's Staircase (my basically stock 40yo truck driving down, it ain't no hell, but makes for cool photos for Jeeps):
IMG_20161023_164500.jpg

So this is where it got interesting...Brittany and I grabbed a bite and a beer at some touristy Mexican restaurant. Upon leaving we are presented with a crazy ****ing delay on I-17 (we've since learned that is sorta typical, it is a crazy 2-lane highway winding up to Flag that everyone drives like a jackass on). So I-17 is closed, no sign of opening (it was a pig or cattle truck that had turned over and taken out ~20 vehicles as well as both directions of the highway...highway closed). I was getting somewhat anxious at this point as I had a new job to start Monday morning. Being simple folk, Brittany and I follow good old google maps. So google sends us down a road that we have since travelled and enjoyed, but this instance was something else. We drove down Bumble Bee Rd at midnight, while EVERYONE who used google ****ing maps tried to do the same.

Entering the "ROUGH ROAD" (not rough for a '40, but...):
IMG_20161023_202454.jpg

So we head down the road, and it a total clusterfuck of cars trying to make their way (as google guided them!). There were trucks with trailers and flats, literally saw a trailer with a broken hub or something...it felt like the Oregon trail.

Finally make it home at 1 or whatever...we were caked in dust like we've not experienced:
IMG_20161023_233033 (1).jpg

Times and smiles like this make me know that Brittany is the love of my life, what a partner in crime. Also, I made it to work.

While in hindsight that little daytrip up to Sedona was trivial relative to the trips we would take in the future, this stands out as something that will be forever ingrained. This old basically stock '40 takes us to coolass places, and on coolass adventures. On to the next one. Our first camp trip, out to Florence, Box Canyon.

This was our setup, packed pretty weill for an overnighter I guess (mind you I'm still basically a ****ing city boy that liked to wheel in the past):
IMG_20161113_073710.jpg

Good times were had. Cool truck, it used to be pretty. I think these days it may be due for some form of treatment ala Delta Beast @wngrog. Was def a white truck originally, did cygnus go all the way to 79?

IMG_20161113_073742.jpg

****ing gorgeous right? Nearly 5 years in and I'm still ****in smitten:
IMG_20161113_101409.jpg

We also met our first bigass cattle on this trip. This was new for me, Brittany less-so. They're good guys.

So overnighter down, what's up next. First up was experiencing the amazing car culture for a bit:

Cars and coffee at Fourtillfour @fourtillfour.

Absolutely gorgeous Signal Yellow targa...I think this would be my cruiser if I were to choose anything, well above my paygrade:
IMG_20161126_094055.jpg

A Pinz, there is actually quite a following out here which is cool as s***:
IMG_20161126_091849.jpg

A badass suburban built to take on everything the family expected, had a good convo w/ owner and he was a cool dude. This thing was ****ing BUILT! Made me feel little with my '40 (that said we all know the stock '40 will get us out when that thing might not lol):
IMG_20161126_091707.jpg

Finally what I think is a coffee brown early 911:
IMG_20161126_092423.jpg

Super jealous of this car, owner was cool and beaming about the fact that he didn't buy/build it for 100+k. I think those days are nearly behind us. I've chosen to keep my impact bumper car as it should be (albeit lighter). I will not backdate.

That said I might throw some 'glass bumper blades on...

NEXT:

Brittany bought me an 8274. That's when I realized I had me my life partner, no one had bought me an 8274 before. Anyway, we went to Tucson to pick it up from a fire fighter (thanks for service man, was a cool bunch). Then headed up Mt. Lemmon, which was great too. This was another trip that I did a s*** job taking pictures.

IMG_20161210_131500.jpg

Snow in AZ?:
IMG_20161210_144706.jpg

Nice camp off the backside of Mt Lemmon:
IMG_20161210_171529.jpg

It was around this time that I for some reason decided to try and ride my old mountain bike. I thankfully kept my old s***box SS 26" beater that I loved. I had been a cyclist my entire life in some form, but hadn't ridden anything seriously for 10+ years. I had the sense to throw gears on my bike (thank christ) and hit one of the gnarliest loops the greater PHX area had to offer. And then it all goes downhill from there...40 time has gone downhill, bike time up. That said, much cool stuff to share. More to come

IMG_20161218_122519.jpg

IMG_20161218_132038.jpg

So now that we are both in AZ, our first trip was to go up to Sedona (Brittany said it was so beautiful and I literally knew nothing of it, hard to fathom now being a hardcore mountain biker). So we went up on the weekend before I went to work at my new job to hit up some red rock like I had never seen.

This is what setting off for a trip looked like (look at that cute new trasharoo)...little did I know how much that would change!:
View attachment 2747088

Made it to Sedona, somewhere on Soldier's Pass I think:
View attachment 2747087

Headed down the Devil's Staircase (my basically stock 40yo truck driving down, it ain't no hell, but makes for cool photos for Jeeps):
View attachment 2747089

So this is where it got interesting...Brittany and I grabbed a bite and a beer at some touristy Mexican restaurant. Upon leaving we are presented with a crazy f***ing delay on I-17 (we've since learned that is sorta typical, it is a crazy 2-lane highway winding up to Flag that everyone drives like a jackass on). So I-17 is closed, no sign of opening (it was a pig or cattle truck that had turned over and taken out ~20 vehicles as well as both directions of the highway...highway closed). I was getting somewhat anxious at this point as I had a new job to start Monday morning. Being simple folk, Brittany and I follow good old google maps. So google sends us down a road that we have since travelled and enjoyed, but this instance was something else. We drove down Bumble Bee Rd at midnight, while EVERYONE who used google f***ing maps tried to do the same.

Entering the "ROUGH ROAD" (not rough for a '40, but...):
View attachment 2747091

So we head down the road, and it a total clusterfuck of cars trying to make their way (as google guided them!). There were trucks with trailers and flats, literally saw a trailer with a broken hub or something...it felt like the Oregon trail.

Finally make it home at 1 or whatever...we were caked in dust like we've not experienced:
View attachment 2747107

Times and smiles like this make me know that Brittany is the love of my life, what a partner in crime. Also, I made it to work.

That road is hell. Total hell. I was in my TRD Pro aired down to 18# and was feeling so sorry for the poor saps riding in the backs of the pink jeep tours.

Thanks for the tag. I love the Phoenix area. My buddy @JackA has some of the most amazing places documented in his build threads. I recommend reading up on them and getting to know him.

Also I appreciate a thread that has the proper ratio of story, photos and if available beautiful woman. I’ll be following along for all 3.

Great thread, love how Brittany always game for whatever your doing and with a smile in every pic.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement, it's been a fun journey for sure. So next in the whirlwind of experiences was going to Kofa. King of Arizona mine National WildLife Refuge, while I think it has more recently gotten a little more exposure, this remains one of my favorite places to go during the winter months. A giant preserve, with lots of cool stuff to explore (old cabins, mines, etc.). Beautiful place that is surprisingly quiet despite the proximity to PHX and even San Diego. Despite spending probably 10 weekends out there I still have more to explore. Things like this make me truly appreciate AZ for the land access it provides.

Screenshot_20161231-130422.png

IMG_20161231_152615.jpg

IMG_20161231_170935.jpg

IMG_20170101_085259.jpg

First trip was over new year, crazy bad weather (made for cool AM), also we were totally perplexed by what appeared to be a blimp:
IMG_20170101_110623.jpg

It was just this.

Just going thru photos to drive the thread, turns out we love Kofa so much we were back a couple weekends later:

IMG_20170115_112404.jpg

IMG_20170115_111318.jpg

First, Kofa cabin:
IMG_20170115_115016.jpg

IMG_20170115_115002.jpg

IMG_20170115_114735.jpg

Incredibly well preserved, and well stocked with water and spirits for those that are more trusting than I (I bikepack and am still afraid of random water in the desert).

Then we went to Hoodoo, 1940s kit house:
IMG_20170115_143133.jpg

IMG_20170115_143046.jpg

If I remember correctly, we camped somewhere not too far from Hoodoo because Britt was over bouncing around in the '40:

IMG_20170115_172417.jpg

Next AM we went to another cabin and mine, this goes by private land within the preserve. Strange experience, we were followed and it was pretty uncomfortable. Hills have eyes type experience, won't intrude again bc I get the annoyance. Cool sights though:

IMG_20170116_103932.jpg

IMG_20170116_103958.jpg

IMG_20170116_105144.jpg

IMG_20170116_104727.jpg

IMG_20170116_104837.jpg

Several other small experiences after that - my 911 getting sideswiped by a soccer mom, going to Bulldog Canyon again, going to Jerome and Smiley Rock (my dumb ass missed smiley rock):

IMG_20170203_151608.jpg

IMG_20170225_141754.jpg

IMG_20170318_132741.jpg

IMG_20170318_155724.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom