Top Speed in a 40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I could hit 70 when I had the old F but that was if I had a good stretch to gain speed or going down hill. :D
With the tree-fifty......well I hit 100 once. Was probably getting 2 miles per gallon but it was fun. I wonder what it will do with the 37s now :D

For all of you with a stock f/2f with 4.11's saying you can cruise at 70-75 all day long, I would just have to see it. Sorry to be challenging but I do not buy you doing 75 on a 5-6 hour trip-especially with 35's. And this I hit 95 once (Advent), BS. Come on.........

( :

Jukelemon said:
For all of you with a stock f/2f with 4.11's saying you can cruise at 70-75 all day long, I would just have to see it. Sorry to be challenging but I do not buy you doing 75 on a 5-6 hour trip-especially with 35's. And this I hit 95 once (Advent), BS. Come on.........

You're kidding, right? A well set up cruiser will cruise all day at 70-75. Gas milage sucks, and its a little loud, but thats about it. If you hit 60 and are all over the road, then something is wrong.
I daily drive my '40 and have for almost 17 years. It's sprung over on 37s, 2F, sm420, Toybox and 4.11 gears. It's 30 miles to work each way, Fordyce and Rubicon are 4 -5 hours from home, Ershim-Dusy even further and those are my stomping grounds. I've driven 1100 miles to Moab a few times fully loaded with only the bikini top. It's no big deal.
Get in your rig and start driving it on a regular basis. You'll soon start to figure out what needs to be improved or fixed. Once everything is working well, they drive fine.

All I wanna do is 60 all the way home in my "new" 40 wid da tree fifty

i have hit 70-75 mph in my 40, but i dont like to push the 63' motor to hard. but i think that i could hit 80 if i had to. i drive all day long at like 60-65 mph

Shipwreck said:
You're kidding, right? A well set up cruiser will cruise all day at 70-75. Gas milage sucks, and its a little loud, but thats about it. If you hit 60 and are all over the road, then something is wrong.
I daily drive my '40 and have for almost 17 years. It's sprung over on 37s, 2F, sm420, Toybox and 4.11 gears. It's 30 miles to work each way, Fordyce and Rubicon are 4 -5 hours from home, Ershim-Dusy even further and those are my stomping grounds. I've driven 1100 miles to Moab a few times fully loaded with only the bikini top. It's no big deal.
Get in your rig and start driving it on a regular basis. You'll soon start to figure out what needs to be improved or fixed. Once everything is working well, they drive fine.
No, not kidding. Maybe I am just out there but I do not believe stock 40's were EVER intended to travel at 75mph for long distances and I have a very hard time believing that they can and maintain their longevity (engine). In other words, this thread when read seems to make the point that it is OK to run your 40 at 75mph "all day" without regard to things like safety (your own and others) and component failure. Maybe you guys have the best 40's out there. Not being a smart a--, just my take.

Jukelemon said:
No, not kidding. Maybe I am just out there but I do not believe stock 40's were EVER intended to travel at 75mph for long distances and I have a very hard time believing that they can and maintain their longevity (engine). In other words, this thread when read seems to make the point that it is OK to run your 40 at 75mph "all day" without regard to things like safety (your own and others) and component failure. Maybe you guys have the best 40's out there. Not being a smart a--, just my take.

Its not the best thing for the motor. I'm sure that everyone here that said they have done it and still do it will admitt its not as good for the motor than say driving 60-65.
I did it because I was 16 and 17 at the time. With 4.11s, a F, and 35s it would do it suprisingly enough. With the 350 it can do it easily, no suprise, but like before its not the best thing for it so I don't cruise at 90-100...just at 70. It drives better than most of my friends and even my parents cars.

My 74 with 100% stock/original driveline runs best at 70-75mph. :confused: I daily drive it, and typically hit 80 on the freeway when I need to pass. It is stock suspension (no lift) and running on 265/75-15" Michelin radials. It rides great at speed. No shakes, no wandering, completely solid.

Every year I drive it to LSLC's ICBM event which is 6+ hours away from my house. I'll average 75mph, and get 17mpg.

i will stick to driving my truck or car at high speeds and putt around in my fj40, i believe it could do it but id ratther not push my luck.

My stock "70 did 70mph back and forth to work (40+miles) on a daily basis. The F finally crapped on me. Not saying that kind of driving did it in, but I can't rule it out either. I'll test this theory with the rebuilt 2F I'm putting back in her :bounce:

i ran 75 in my 40 with 4.11's and 36's, but that's a v8...i've got 4.56's now and i'm hitting the secondary's at about 68, so i lay off since i can't afford the gas.

in my 60, i often ran up to 90 with 2f @3400, 33s and 3.73's...this weekend, i'll find out how the 4.11's fare.

I'll play- F engines rock!

These little 40s will scoot if you want them to. I think it depends on which engine ya have...

I had a '74 that could cruise all day long at WOT from 75-80 on 31s, factory 4spd behind a F, and 4.10s. had another '71 that ran just a bit slower (my '72 was more like the traditional 65mph FJ40 that we all know) After owning 6 40s, 3 of those had F engines and two had 2F engines ('75 and the '77- which only 48K miles :eek: , the 6th has a 350), I'm a firm believer that the old F will blow the doors off the 2F :bounce: Both my 2F trucks would be lucky to see 70 mph going down hill with a tail wind.

IMO,the F engines are just plain cool and will get you down the highway at the speed limit plus a few (atleast in Kansas) :cheers:

turbophil said:
I'm a firm believer that the old F will blow the doors off the 2F :bounce: Both my 2F trucks would be lucky to see 70 mph going down hill with a tail wind.

As I found out when I sent my carb down to Marks Off Road to get it rebuilt, I learned that the 75+ aisin carbs were really restricted due to smog emissions for CA. Though I run a 76 aisin carb I can still do 70 - 75 mph, but my engine is de-smogged.

Jukelemon i'm not joking when I say I do 70 - 75 mph all day on the freeway with my 35's. I run a hooker header with an h.e.i. distributor and soon to be freshly rebuilt and performance tuned 76 aisin carb. It will do 70 - 75 mph all day on flat land but look out on the hills. You lose the power band real fast because of the 35's. The 35's create an over drive so basically at about 70 - 75 mph you are running around 2900 rpm which is fine in my book. When I upgrade to 38's i'm thinking about going to 4.88's to get some power band back on the hills because usually i'm struggeling on hills. Though one of the problems with my carb was that the accelerator pump was shot :doh:

Jukelemon said:

On my fall drive back here to school, I averaged about 17mpg at 75-80 all day. 350 miles. Cruises just fine even without power steering. The only thing I have to keep an eye on is the fuel grade, since it really likes premium with the HEI/decked head/cam.

For whatever reason, it likes that speed. When I hold it to 60-65, I get about 12-14mpg, and I don't have the same power I do when I'm going faster.

Oh, and I did hit 95 once, on the old engine. It's since been rebuilt. Since then, I've hit 90 twice, both times going downhill passing people. Did I mean to go that fast? No. Do I reccomend it? No. But it's definately possible.

I know of one still running, still powerful 2F that's been to 6,000rpm briefly. Personally, I've got too much into my engine to try that.

When I went out to Death Valley last month, I averaged 70 mph and 13mpg. There were some portions where I was able to get to 85. But those were few and far between.
THat's with Desmogged 2F, SM420, 4.10 gears, and 35" Mud Terrains. The soft top drove me NUTS....

Jukelemon said:

( :

Checked with a GPS....

Didn't do it when I bought it. Only did about 55-60 then. After several rounds of fluid changes, engine tuneups, a new carb and ignition it began to run faster and faster despite poor compression. After installing the FJ60 ign it gained a solid 5 mph. The bushing on the stock dizzy was worn and it began to sputter at high speeds.

even with 35s and 3.73s, my 76 sounds like its gonna explode at 50 mph on the speedo (thats like 60mph corrected) and i tried passing a car once and will never do it again. plus my alloy tub gets really hot after some highway miles in the summer

dylan said:
even with 35s and 3.73s, my 76 sounds like its gonna explode at 50 mph on the speedo (thats like 60mph corrected)

That ain't RIGHT!

Is everyone just too accustomed to the creature comforts and smooth quiet ride of newer cars or what?

My 64 FJ40 was completely stock when I got it except for some 31" tires. It would cruise at 70 all day - as long as the road was flat all day. ;) Mountain passes slowed it down to about 45, but it would happily run about 80-85 down the other side.

The SM420 has added a bit of noise, and the 33's have slowed the comfortable cruising speed to about 65, but the old F still doesn't have a problem stretching out to about 85 coming down off the mountains.

Eric

78' FJ40 with a 400/4spd/3spdcase. 80mph here on I80. Scary on 33s, follows the ruts a little. 60-65 seems fine. Off the line it'll dust any of the little ricers around (except the WRX Sti). Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom