To those with an AFI kit on a 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 5 year old AFI kit with their 'in house' HEI distributor. Its been doing ok. However lately I've been having a sudden ignition cut out problem that I've been working on casually.

Talked to AFI and Norm recomended to change out the 7 pin igntion contol module, so I did. Silly me didn't take a before pic and am trying to verify that I hooked the wires up correctly. I THINK I did due to how long each of the 5 wires are and how they fit and natually lay, but now it won't start. Fuel pump primes and it turns over great but no spark.

I put the old module back in and same thing.

Cna anyone verify if the wires on the 5 pin side are correct? AFI was no help with this question.

Thanks

IMG_20230803_192847190_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230803_192823675_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230803_192823675_HDR.jpg

So I had the wires a bit crossed on the module.....fixed that

Now it runs like crap, like its hitting on 3 or 4 cylinders, and then dies after about 10 seconds. It sounds like its not timed properly (and occasional back firing through the TBI), but I didn't mess with the timing. Spark plug wires are on and tight.

So I changed the ignition module back to the original one (it was running great) but the same symptoms....no change and still runs like crap for a few seconds then it dies.

Could have trying to crank it with the wires crossed on the ignition module (the far right and middle wires were switched) have caused trouble somewhere else further up the system? Maybe to the ECM?

The right 2 wires ARE some 12v wires for the pickup....maybe sent voltage to places it shouldn't go?

or...LS swap?!

Ok, to close this out....I still had wires crossed and the new ignition module had 2 small plastic tabs that needed to be sanded down so it makes good contact with the internal seat.

Runs great now

Super shout out to AFI.....they always try and answer my random questions and have been helpful over the years....I recommend!

Ok, to close this out....I still had wires crossed and the new ignition module had 2 small plastic tabs that needed to be sanded down so it makes good contact with the internal seat.

Runs great now

Super shout out to AFI.....they always try and answer my random questions and have been helpful over the years....I recommend!
Can you share the correct wiring layout, and any photos of the tabs that need to be removed? Glad you finally got the issues resolved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom