Howell or AFI any issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

So I think I’ve read just about all of the posts on ih8mud about the efi conversions. I get that many people like the sniper, but I have now had two mechanics (one rebuilt my head, one I’m wanting to do the efi install) tell me that they would not do it. They said that they have seen way too many issues with the ones they have installed (One of the mechanics mostly installs Hollys just not the Sniper). I also don’t like the idea of having to send the whole throttle body back to Holly for weeks if there is a problem.

I know people like the Howell and AFI (Affordable Fuel Injection) systems. There are many great things written about both of them on here. I don’t think I will go wrong with either of them. I’m having trouble making a decision for which one would be better. What I’d like to hear is if any one has had any issues with either of them and if they would not go back to it. Maybe this will help me make a decision. You can tell me good stories about them as well.

I have a Feb. 1971 with the original motor. It has a very bad hesitation when starting in first gear, or if I let off of the gas while at cruising speed and press it again. It isn’t just a normal carburetor type hesitation (It will completely kill the engine if I don’t feather the gas and clutch to get through it.). I have tried everything I can think of and tried the things I have been told.

I have tried:

-Adjusted timing.
-Bought dui distributor.
-Had carb rebuilt by Mark at “Marks Off-road (Awesome guy. He has been very patient with me trying to figure this out.)
-Got a valve job and had the head rebuilt.
-Gotten rid of vacuum leaks.
-replaced exhaust

My compression currently is above 145 on all cylinders and my vacuum is 18-19.

Fuel injection has always been in the plans for this 40 and I have worked a good bit of overtime and the wife has given me the go ahead. Just need a way to decide between the Howell and AFI.

Does having a dui distributor make a difference with either of them?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

I highly recommend going with the Sniper 2. . they have fixed all the issues that the sniper 1 had . . Even with that said the Sniper 1 is very basic . and really you should never have to send it back . A common issue was the injector wires coming off and that really is very simple to get access to those . I have a 40 that has the Howell and its ok but it has its flaws for sure .

The Howell TBI system is basically a 'stock GM' type system. It has limited room for tuning or performance changes without having to burn new chips. I have one on a GM 4.3l V6 in my mini. Works as a factory unit with a stand alone computer.

I've had to send multiple Snipers back to Holley. It takes them 6-8 weeks to return them. They never charge you for the repair. When they first came out you couldn't replace anything. Now they offer the fuel pressure regulator for purchase - a common failure point in my experience.

I built my own TBI setup and then changed to a Sniper when they started becoming popular. No change in performance. With the TBI setup you can get parts at any auto parts store. I removed the Sniper and went back to a carb.

There is no Sniper 2 in the 2300 that I can see on their website.

I would have @mattressking rebuild your carb and keep the money you saved up for other improvements on your truck. You will only get slightly easier starts from EFI with a 2F, you won't see any HP gains and maybe only slight fuel economy improvement if your carb was way out of whack. You add complexity and more potential points of failure as well.

My $0.02

My recent purchase FJ40 with a SBC 350 came with a Holley EFI set up. Once I got the injectors cleaned and other problems sorted out It runs but I am not impressed with it. At some point in the future when the project stops hemorrhaging money I plan on getting a carburetor. Other vehicles I own with factory EFI run way better, the Holley doesn't come close those.

I picked up a used howell efi awhile back. I too was frustrated with the carb and desmog on my 2F. I'm not 100 percent sold if brand new efi be worth replacing if the carb was rebuilt by someone reputable. part I dislike the most is having to fabricate your own throttle and gas pedal setup.

I had the AFI system in a 350/TH400 in the FJ45 and it worked well. So, I got one for the 40 with a 2F/SM420 in it. I got the complete kit with an FJ60 distributor and the FI system was supposed to handled all advance curve... It never ran right. I have since put the Howell sniper kit on the 40 with a DUI distributor and couldn't be happier. I can pull 4th gear up grades with 37's that I couldn't with 35's before. BTW, ill sell you the AFI system...

I have the basic AFI kit on my '78 2F, with the AFI-modified FJ62 distributor included with the kit (for extra $$). Excellent performance - seems far more powerful and pulls harder. Crappy mileage - 10 mpg pretty much all the time, but I don't drive it enough to really matter.

Easy starts at any temperature - including 30F. Also starts just fine at 90F. I have had the truck to 12,000' and it ran fine. The engine stumbles just a little bit for about ~2 minutes during warmup (before closed loop), but I really have no complaints. I have run this for 5 years. There are many AFI threads in Mud, so do some searching. AFI's instructions were weak, but their phone/email support pretty good. The hardest part was fabricating the whole gas pedal/cable setup.

I am so burned out on Holley fuel pumps and carburetors, and horror stories of their early EFI setups that I just have no interest in Holley products, if there's any other choice.

Thank you guys. Appreciate all input. Now to make the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom