Tires: Tall and Skinnys? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another vote for KM's 255x85x16 here...

Ummm......yes, thanks for the tire feedback but you REALLY need to post more pictures and details on your 75.... That is mad-tite!

Goodyear Bias Ply M/S

I've now got an update on four Goodyear bias ply M/S Workforce tires in 7.50R16, 8 ply. I got them off craigslist for 250 bucks. The did flatspot in colder climates on a recent cross-country (MA-CA) trip, but now in sunny southern CA they don't. Even when they did flatspot it only took 5 minutes of driving and they rounded back out. When I put these tires on the 16" splits, I did have to make sure the rims, liners and tubes were all happy and a bunch of rust came off the rims. On the road there is only a minimal noise increase compared to the on-road style tires I had on there before. The tires look like an older model of the DuraTrac tire Goodyear makes now. I dont have quite as much sipping on mine as the DuraTrac, but I recently got a tire groover/siper for my birthday so I can sipe if need be. I'm still rolling on bias ply and likely going to stay this way!
Tire shots.jpg
Tire shots (2).jpg
Tire shots (3).jpg

Last edited:
I like the BF 255's I use the truck as fun and wheel on rocks and use it in the winter snow. My 80 weighs 5800 lbs. Would these get me through the snow and rock climbing?

I like the BF 255's I use the truck as fun and wheel on rocks and use it in the winter snow. My 80 weighs 5800 lbs. Would these get me through the snow and rock climbing?
BF? As in BFG MT or AT?

BFG KM2 MT not good in snow. (stick with your DTs)
BFG KO2 AT decent in snow

IMG_0719.JPG
I have Cooper ST max in 255/85/r16 on my 100 series. We get some snow in Montana and they work great. I have had great results with Cooper tires.they work ok on ice too.

I have Cooper ST max in 255/85/r16 on my 100 series. We get some snow in Montana and they work great. I have had great results with Cooper tires.they work ok on ice too.

I tried 255/85/16 BFGs on my UZJ100 and didn't the look. I tend focus on performance more than esthetics, but with the built-in fender fares on 100, the tall 'n skinnys did look right. Now running 285/75/16 and they look fine.

Nobody mentioned the rare 8.25r16 tire size

They are 33x8.5 approx Michelin xl or xzl

They can be bought military takeoffs from Canada ... anywhere 75-90% tread remaining

Old site: Army Military Tires

New site to order: Michelin XZL 8.25R16 | Military Surplus Tires and Off Road Wheels

They are also radial like all XL and XZL

I have ran 255/85r16 for over 20 years ... 34" before that

Best I had were the toyo m-55 in 255

34" were the TSL great for off road

A buddy always ran the buckshot mudders ... surprised this wasn't in conversation here either... they wear very well for bias ... tall and skinny in several sizes 16" and 15"

Pic of the current gateway buckshot mudders

IMG_2086.JPG

Back in 91 I bought new Mudders 9.50/16 for a trip to Baja. 6000 mile round trip, by the time I got back to Mo. they were bald. I guess the highway heat killed them, not really sure.

IMG_2455.JPG
Michelin XZL 255/100-16
IMG_2088.JPG

The Michelin 255/100 and 8,25 are great tires but weight a ton .
some thing like 40 kg or aprox 90 pounds , plus rim

There seems to be a lot of discussion about specific tire sizes being good or bad. The problem is that certain tire sizes work better on certain vehicles. This whole discussion is only valid if you are comparing apples to apples. A 3500 pound FJ40 may be great with a specific tire while it is an absolute disaster on a 6500 pound FZJ80. I would like to see EMPIRICAL DATA showing the performance of different tire sizes, on the same vehicle, on the same terrain ...

Terrain, tread design, inflation pressure, contact patch PSI, wheelbase, corner to corner weight, center of gravity, roll center, etc., all affect the way a tire works.

My experience is that a skinny tire sucks in loose sand but gets great highway mileage. A fat tire will hydroplane on wet roads. Boggers have no lateral grip and will slide sideways on loose or soft surfaces. There is no perfect tire for everything. Choose the tire that most closely matches your vehicle and primary terrain.

Hey @RiverRatMatt did you end up with skinnies? I’ve looked hard at the 255s for my next set but worry about losing a bead aired down on factory 8” wheels. All the100s I’ve seen on skinnies seem to be running 6 or 7” wheels.

Toyo Open Country MT E-Rated 255/85-16 on 16x6 70 series wheels. Running them at 45 psi with a good contact patch and they measure out at 32.5” tall.

1000 miles on them, minimal noise and I’m very happy.

0B0F90E8-6643-4791-A366-97258A7F19D1.jpeg

I myself don’t want tires that are too wide. Thinking about going 235 85r16 when I upgrade next.

Last edited:
Building an HZJ79 0n a 1997 FZJ80 chassis with an R2.8 Cummins and NV4500 5spd/ 27% overdrive plus tire height. Turns out that there is a little calculator that matches engine perfomance/economy and torque curve,well the 255/85/16 Toyo comes in at 33.5" and offers peak economy and enters performance at 68 MPH with only 2047 RPMs. Mildly concerned about the 10 ply/ 80 PSI max but I will figure in a 40 gal fuel cell to add weight along with (2) spares. I opted for the 2.5" OME heavy lift to offset these items. Did I do it right? I will report back when I know. I am adding the wider Kutsnake flares to cover the additional track width.

101657741_1215504332135340_3800226903617437696_n.jpg

Building an HZJ79 0n a 1997 FZJ80 chassis with an R2.8 Cummins and NV4500 5spd/ 27% overdrive plus tire height. Turns out that there is a little calculator that matches engine perfomance/economy and torque curve,well the 255/85/16 Toyo comes in at 33.5" and offers peak economy and enters performance at 68 MPH with only 2047 RPMs. Mildly concerned about the 10 ply/ 80 PSI max but I will figure in a 40 gal fuel cell to add weight along with (2) spares. I opted for the 2.5" OME heavy lift to offset these items. Did I do it right? I will report back when I know. I am adding the wider Kutsnake flares to cover the additional track width.

View attachment 2326968

Who cares about the tires, let's see more of that build man!!