Time-Sert vs HeliCoil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a great, thread. Read it all the way through, along with the links.

My first issue is actually removing the broken off bolts. I have tried left handed bits, extractors, heat, ice, and penetrant. So far I have broken off two extractors in the bolts. Any great suggestions on removing old bolts that are seized up tight?

This is a great, thread. Read it all the way through, along with the links.

My first issue is actually removing the broken off bolts. I have tried left handed bits, extractors, heat, ice, and penetrant. So far I have broken off two extractors in the bolts. Any great suggestions on removing old bolts that are seized up tigeht?
electric welding

Old thread, but still loaded with a LOT of opinions with nothing to back them up. I have used Helicoils for repairs (mostly in aluminum engine blocks and heads) for many years (over 40 years) and have had great success with them. Over that time period many people have chimed in that TimeSerts are better, or Keen-serts etc but no empirical data to support their statements. Here is a test that a machinist ran a few years ago comparing the contenders. You may find that your opinions are not based in reality:

Old thread, but still loaded with a LOT of opinions with nothing to back them up. I have used Helicoils for repairs (mostly in aluminum engine blocks and heads) for many years (over 40 years) and have had great success with them. Over that time period many people have chimed in that TimeSerts are better, or Keen-serts etc but no empirical data to support their statements. Here is a test that a machinist ran a few years ago comparing the contenders. You may find that your opinions are not based in reality:

Guys,

I think I have to agree with Doug and an earlier poster who referred to use of HeliCoils in his Porsche career. I'm right now considering the purchase of a '64 356SC. An old buddy who owned a 356 in the '60s gave me a copy of Porsche Technical Manual published in about 1964. I just this morning read the section on the C and SC models of 356, model years '64 and '65. The C had cast iron jugs but the SC had alloy jugs which came equipped from the factory with HeliCoils in the spark plug holes! Just a useless little bit of trivia.

Pete

I had to use Keen serts to repair the water jacket cover on an antique engine. They are the only thing that I could get to be watertight after sealing the threads on the keensert with JB weld and then sealing the threads on the bolt with Anerobic sealant and making a graphoil gasket. Not sure a helicoil would have done the job.

BED31A88-508C-41D3-87B6-B3B932698126.jpeg

8F3ABF5B-C44A-4276-A41C-D5A1EED57C1F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom