Build - Time for LS swap... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lol. Try the same but on 40's:) I have been hovering around the v8 swap threads and making noted but yet to pull the trigger. I'm want an atlas behind the 6l80 and well at that cost, it need to rethink my crypto strategy:)
Well Jeep peeps have been begging to have a V8 392 powerplant for ages, and they just responded to their calls. I doubt any 25 yr old plus rigs were designed to handle 40" tires back when they were in R & D....lol

i know how what you mean, what was your avg. speed in those elevation and 7% grade?
Since i know the road real well i try to keep up my speed on the down hill portions, that way i can get a running start up the grades. If I'm lucky, and don't get caught up it traffic, or stuck behind a motor home, i can hold around 50 MPH or so.

But if i get stuck in traffic, or it's a real long uphill climb that'll drag my speed down to around 35 MPH with no way to recover until i hit the next downhill stretch. So I'm stuck crawling along in the slow lane watching Yugo"s pass me. Ah, such is the life of a non V8 equipped Land Cruiser owner living in the rocky mountains.

Last edited:
**update**
FF rear axle sourced. Time to clean it up, paint, and install. Wish it was a locked rear but hey it’s better than the drum rear I have now.
I dunno, unless full float is stronger, i have yet to break a semi float axle in 5 yrs, so what exactly is better?
As for braking, i can lock up all 4 wheels if i needed to, with 37s and beadlock, the drum brakes are more than capable, what more do you need?

I dunno, unless full float is stronger, i have yet to break a semi float axle in 5 yrs, so what exactly is better?
As for braking, i can lock up all 4 wheels if i needed to, with 37s and beadlock, the drum brakes are more than capable, what more do you need?
Pretty much what bhsdriller mentioned and rear discs much easier to work on. I’d rather deal with them than drum brakes. The opportunity presented itself to go this route as well.
Much like I needed a LS vs 3fe.. I can keep up with traffic and merge.

Disc brakes are pretty nice if you drive in the rain a lot or go through deep water. It takes a while for drum brakes to shed water. Disc brakes fling water outward and dry quickly. Really nice if you do a water crossing and then climb a hill. If you try to stop on a hill and the rear brakes don't grab because they are wet you get the fun experience of flying down a hill at 20mph with only the fronts willing to lock up. But drum brakes get the job done and are reliable.

Found your built thread! so what did you do on the brake switch wiring? Relay set up for signals? Also, on the trans cable, I noticed you did the mount on the transfer case. I’ve seen it off the shifter plate and like yours better. Is it more inline off the case?
Also, Thank You for all your help so far. Timesaver for sure.

Found your built thread! so what did you do on the brake switch wiring? Relay set up for signals? Also, on the trans cable, I noticed you did the mount on the transfer case. I’ve seen it off the shifter plate and like yours better. Is it more inline off the case?
Also, Thank You for all your help so far. Timesaver for sure.
Sorry just saw this... lol.. I think it's more inline off the t-case and I didn't have to cut more out of the trans tunnel to fit the extra mount off the shifter plate..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom