three speed noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 66 has a three speed trans that really makes a loud whine or howl at certain rpms. What can I do to quiet it down. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using IH8MUD

New gearboxes.

Heavier weight gear oil.

Different vehicle.

:meh:

Ear plugs, bigger amp and bigger speakers.

Like Poser said. I used 140 wt. gear oil in my 3 speed until I replaced it now the wife and I can have a conversation without yelling. Rebuilt tranny and T-case fixed it right up. But as mentioned, check everything first. Sound travels throught these puppies as they are in no way a Lexus.

Thanks guys I will be checking u joints and changing to a heavy oil. How hard is it to do a rebuild on the trans and t case. Any special tools needed. Will I need a press to get to all the bearings. What if the gears look too worn does anyone make new gears or do I just find old ones. I don't want to change to a different type of trans because I want to keep the pto winch and ranger od unit.

Sent from my DROIDX using IH8MUD

Did you rebuild it or just add orion unit.

we used all new stuff in the orion, my old 3spd transfer case was rebuilt awhile ago using used gears which I believe were meshing badly together, anyhow the 3spd TC IMO are just noisy units, they have a distinct whine to them.....

I like Cruiser whine :D

Do you have any sound deadening material on the floor and transmission tunnel cover?

I took over 10db off the noise level in the 45 last year with a combination of materials.

And FWIW, there are such things as NOS transfer cases as well.;)

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom