FJ40 3 speed transfer case making banging noise near front output shaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trippster

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello all.

Banging noise coming from front output shaft area. A couple question?.

Any ideas?

can I separate the front output cone from case to inspect where the issue is or would it be better to just pull the whole case? Would you pull trans and case together or just pull the case?

Thank you

Ben

Have you checked to make sure everything is tightened? Shake test and perhaps a pry bar in case something is bound tighter than you can grip/pull by hand. U-joints and all mounts are good, right. You didn't bend something by playing hard in the rocks or getting air! Maybe a video camera or a borescope to record or watch that area while its moving.

I find it way easier to pull/install the engine/tranny/transfer in one piece. I once spent several hours trying to put the tanny/transfer back in by myself - gave up, pulled the engine. In minutes I had all three back together and a few hours later everything was installed and I drove it away. A nice A frame and a chainfalls is really nice. The adjustable engine level would be + too. Take the starter off - that extra clearance is worth the effort.

Without more information regarding the banging noise, can't say where to go next!

So i had the same noise coming from the front output shaft. And it was a freshly rebuilt trans combo by George at Valley hybrids.
Well it tuned out to be my front axle spring bushings. I replaced all of them and no more sound.
Just a thought.

It definitely sounds like a loose nut resulting in a wobble sound. I’ll double check everything suggested before I pull the whole thing. It’s sad because I just got it on the road after an 8 year frame of restoration. Got about 500 miles on it then this. Oh well….Back to the wrenching.

Thank you all. I’m very appreciative 👍

I’ll let you know.

Ben

IMG_3061.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom