Thoughts on this 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lcgeek

Glad to meet you!
Threads
I should have known better than use the word *mint* in a previous post, before true verification of the facts :)
I had a previous post misleading that a mint low mile 60 had been found! No true - come to find it is not mint and since I couldn't edit the post here's a new one more correctly titled.

I am tire kicking to get 60/62 just to have a hobby truck something special drive on weekends. I tend to prefer a clean pavement princess than an offroad rig since I rarely get off of fire roads these days. Problem is I am cheap ( I want to be in for $7500 or less) and nice clean low miles 60/62's are hard to find at what I call reasonable price.

So a land cruiser buddy finds this one - a 1982 or 1983 FJ60, not sure on year - title says 1982, but it is Sept 1982, and so people tell me it is considered a 1983 model year, I dunno.

It's been sitting in an airplane hanger for years...getting driven a few thousand miles a year. As a reference the tires on it are 20+ years old, but at least not stock :) So it goes without saying it needs a good baseling

Here's my notes on it.

The good:
  • Low miles - 87K
  • No rust
  • Fairly straight body save a few dings and bumps
  • Overall paint looks good
  • AC blows strong and cold
  • Upholstery not torn
  • Motor runs great, tranny shifts great - solid feeling ride

Issues not so good from pavement princess perspective:

Mechanical - in addition to good baseling
  • Knuckles leaking
  • Oil pan gasket needs replacing

Exterior
  • Tires 20 years old
  • Slight dent on driver side front of hood
  • Rear tailgate small bend in metal lower edge
  • Dents in chrome window trim driver door (note the screw in the pic :)
  • Both rear quarters and lower tailgate appear to have been repainted although there are not any signs of body work (odd) and no frame weirdness like it was hit (perhaps an oops and backed into something years ago..dunno)
  • Other various paint scratches, most notable around fuel door
Interior
  • Quarter size tear in headliner in rear passenger pillar
  • Headliner bunched up in front driver pillar (probably from windshield replacement?)
  • Small carpet blemish between shifter and seats
  • Door molding shrinkage and coming loose (how is this fixed?)
  • Carpet stain in cargo area
  • Upholstery dirty, assume it can be steam cleaned good as new
  • Various other blemishes consistent with age of vehicle
Pics below. Low miles can be intoxicating (I know I love love miles, but that's a psych problem :))
What's a good true market value on something like this? Any input on the ease or difficulty of getting this one to pavement princess status based on what you see?

Last edited:
You're in Arizona? So you find a truck sitting in a hangar for 20 yrs with no rust, undamaged.
What are you waiting for?

Body looks to be in excellent shape.

What's their number? I'll call and offer 10k. :)

10K??? ouch..

Uhhh, thats mint dude. BUY IT NOW!

Well, I do have a deposit down and the keys are hidden :) Figured I tap the brain trust here to get some more input before pulling final trigger. Mint - not quite, I wish, not too bad though. A couple of little dents, some stains, and interior blems. That door trim that has shrunk and pulled away is out of stock now - how hard is that to find? Also how hard is the headliner to repair the tear and crumpled pillar? Appreciate the input!

Body is pretty clean for a 82?

its really clean for a 82......it still has the foam in-front of the radiator, still has the unleaded sticker on the body....OEM center caps. Looks like its been dealer serviced by the Toyota battery

I do think I see over-spray on the passenger side rear door, the light switch looks like it has tan paint on it but it just might be white from the rubber

as clean as it is......and as long as its sat, its going to need stuff and work, sitting is not always the best, seals dry up, hoses still rot out.

I'd have no issue with 10k on it, prolly more

If you're looking for a 60... Man this one would be hard to pass up. None of them are going to be perfect. And if you find one that looks like it is..... you'll pay through the nose.
The "important things" are frame, engine, transmission, and body.

Deal breakers are major rust anywhere.... & this one doesn't have it.

That window shiny gutter chrome trim is still available from Toyota.

Just know, no matter how nice it is........... it is 33 years old. To buy a car like this, you've got to be committed to learning all about it's workings... Cuz you're (or a mechanic is) going to be working on it to some degree, regardless of what the odo says.

Sometimes a deal to good slaps ya in the face and ya don't realize it. This is that deal. You probably are not paying even close to 10grr. So get the Cruiser base line every thing and have an amazing rig for the rest of your life.

Really appreciate the great input guys - THANKS!

Yeah. If you don't consider this mint you need to stop looking....buy it!!!!!!

Looks like this one will be coming to Arizona. Road Trip! Thanks again gents for the input.

Good choice, from information received about it. Further comment, everything you can't do is done. All the little
bits and pieces are there. The mechanics of the truck are really the least of your worries. The core foundation is
there. IF that is a southern truck the only ongoing issue I see is cracked sealant in the roof gutters, and subsequent
rust issues, but that should not be an issue if it has indeed been sitting in a hangar - but take a look.
It is a beautiful starting foundation though, can't wait to see what you do to it.

Fly and drive tomorrow morning. No airports nearby so my good buddy in addition to getting her road ready is driving it to Salt Lake and I will meet him at the airport and drive back to AZ. I didn't feel like testing out the 20+ year old tires, so got some new shoes before the jaunt from WY to AZ. Not a lot of tires choices for 15" wheels in Landers WY but these should do for a while.

Last edited:
Where are you in az? Amazing find for Lander Wyoming

Where are you in az? Amazing find for Lander Wyoming

thanks. I am in Goodyear AZ...although right this minute in Flagstaff. That is as far as I made it today from Salt Lake :)
A great trip today with some beautiful scenery in UT and AZ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom