This is odd....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Finally took the top off the Family Hauler. I broke seals all over the rig (sealant, caulk stuff)

All the bolts looked like new, the top does not seem to have ever been off.

I found this on the rail?

What the hell is this? I have never seen a 40 with this a different color.

I see ZERO evidence of this truck ever being this color. Inside the damn glovebox is green

I am confused.....
P1010003.JPG
P1010004.JPG

My 79 had something similar..

A different tan on the rail tops. I think they were just lazy when it was painted at the factory..

I thought 40s were painted at the factory with the tops on.

Edit: I type slowly.

yes they painted them with the tops on, that is why the gasket edge is not black but body colored

Last edited:
Mine is the same way. They painted it with the top on at the factory. You'll find other places like that on your truck too. I took my top off to get the restore process rolling. When I repaint I'll do it in pieces.

Think of it as "two tone". Some people pay extra for it.

I'll confirm what everyone else has said. I bought my '78 new and found the same thing (mine is more of a gray color) when I pulled the top off for the first time. The bodies were painted with the hard top on.

The 77 I had was like that. Except it was black, then green with black overspray under the lip of the top, then primer where the top bolted on. It looked super groovy when I took the top off. Although I found a gm truck dark green spray paint (my original color on the 77 was the same as yours) that matched almost perfect. Sprayed the whole rig with it. Then rolled the truck 3 days later.

Pin_Head said:
Hmm, they used different colors for different years. Mine was puke green.

yeah, so was mine...

malphrus

My white 79 fj40 had the puke green color under there when I pulled the top. I was disappointd as well. Until I repainted the whole thing. :)

My 76 was the same way just to concur with all the others. At least it wasn't rust when you you pulled it off. Nice meeting you the other night at LSLC.

Great to get this cleared up. I just pulled the top off mine, and think it was the first time ever coming off. My FJ40 is tan, and the edge was a very different tan (like the color in the above picture). I thought the paint must have REALLY oxidized.

They actually used different primer colors in the SAME YEAR as base coats for different colours.

I have an 82 FJ40 which is Freeborn Red. Same tan primer is also visible if you remove the running boards on each side.

Jim D.

my 69 has a blue(po paint) then a dark brown(original?)then a light brown the a rust/dark red(primer) i think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom