Third Member Swap - DENIED!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i'm computer illiterate

PabloCruise said:
I am clueless about this...

Is this an organized run? Gimme some details!

go to trail rides

the thread "holy cross/iron chest"

i have NO IDEA how to cross post :frown:

just gotta get my front 4.88 in by then

the wifes even up for it... :D

One more question?

Why do shims spin?

I was talking to my buddy, who is a professional wrench, about my plans to re-shim and use the that third member.

His opinion was that there was a reason the shims spun and disintegrated, and that replacing the shims would not fix this underlying cause. He also is saying that I should tear the whole third down and replace bearings versus re-shimming it and running it.

This third is from a front diff, so it shouldn't have many miles under power on it - but the shims did spin... why?

What do y'all recomend I do with this?

TIA,

If the bearings are not rough, run it.

Good luck!

-Steve

PabloCruise said:
Why do shims spin?
- but the shims did spin... why?

TIA,

Why do fools fall in love? Why do they fall in love??

Doowah, doowah

I actually wondered about this myself. The times I have seen it were when the nut backs off the end of the pinion so there is nothing clamping down on the inner race. The other times I have seen the shims spin is when the outer bearing fails. Seem like there may be more friction at the outer race than that holding inner race from spinning on the pinion shaft.

Doowah, doowah

Last edited:
Pin_Head said:
Why do fools fall in love? Why do they fall in love??

Doowah, doowah

I actually wondered about this myself. The times I have seen it were when the nut backs off the end of the pinion so there is nothing clamping down on the inner race. The other times I have seen the shims spin is when the outer bearing fails. Seem like there may be more friction at the outer race than that holding inner race from spinning on the pinion shaft.

Doowah, doowah

Alright, so I am guessing that Charlie is a MoTown enthusiast... :)

So if the bearings feel nice, and the races look good, I can reshim and STUFF THAT THIRD IN!

Crikey!!!

I want to drive my frickin' 40 sometime during the current administration...

I tired a Dana 44 shim (~0.41 mm vs. the 2 x 0.25 mm shims that were in there), still did not get much over 5 in-lbs.

:confused: Why?

The third had a 2.85 mm spacer washer in there. Just got off the phone with my parts guy, he is shipping a 2.80-2.82 washer and 4 shiny new shims up to me - should be ready to get after it this weekend!

Thanks,

New Shims!

I love the minutia of the details on the new Toyota parts!

The shims say .25 and Toyota, and have the TEQ logo...
897F.JPG

PabloCruise said:
Alright, so I am guessing that Charlie is a MoTown enthusiast... :)

Thanks,

I like Motown, but that particular tune is DooWap. Frankie Lymon and the teenagers, 1956. Way before Motown and the kind of music my parents listened to. Lots of other people re-recorded it over the years.

Now get those shims in there and quit fooling around. This is one of those jobs where +/- .0005 makes the difference.

Got the shims in and fussed with pre-load. All is well - took a while though. Both shims yeilded ~5 in-lbs. 1 shim was too tight. So I sanded the washer until I hit what looked like over 11 in-lbs on the dial.

Now trying to figure out how to get BOTH spider gears in?

Going to hit your article Charlie, and then the search fcn. But right now I am striking out getting the spacer and both spider gears in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom