Third Member/Differential flange ID? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
22355_248986082274_720707274_4366563_4628706_n.jpg

Haven't seen a round diff flange on a 40 R&P yet it's smaller than my 60 series flange having the bolt pattern for a 40 shaft. I tried a search and could not find any info, maybe I searched all the wrong keywords as I'm sure it's been asked before. My main question is does this mean it's a fine spline pinion? I could take it apart to check but given the amount of work I'm currently involved with if it can be determined from the flange that'd be preferable. This came from the front of a 74 we're stripping and many parts were obviously replaced (most done poorly might I add). The rear has the more rectangular style flange I've seen with cruisers from this year range. :cheers:

my 73 has round flanges .

I'm assuming that by that you mean it's a coarse spline pinion? If the one in your sig and avatar is the '73 then it's a pretty stout rig so I guess I would assume fines would be a part of the build atleast for the rear.

I appreciate the help guys, this 40 is a giant mess so figuring out what's what has been a challenge. The rear is from an FJ55 judging from the rear sway parts that were left on the housing so can't base much off there either. The rear third has the rectangular flange I've see on both my '69 and a friend's '72 so I'm pretty sure it's a coarse.

i guess i should of added more . they are in my parts rig .course spline 1973 but they have the smaller bolt pattern driveshaft ,that looks like it accepts the later 4spd drive shaft . it might be fine spline who knows
they may of replaced the square one with a round one.?

my avatar rig is a 78 has the square flange:grinpimp:

I'm assuming that by that you mean it's a coarse spline pinion? If the one in your sig and avatar is the '73 then it's a pretty stout rig so I guess I would assume fines would be a part of the build atleast for the rear.

I appreciate the help guys, this 40 is a giant mess so figuring out what's what has been a challenge. The rear is from an FJ55 judging from the rear sway parts that were left on the housing so can't base much off there either. The rear third has the rectangular flange I've see on both my '69 and a friend's '72 so I'm pretty sure it's a coarse.

Ah alright I get what you're saying now, wasn't the "yeah, not only is it a fine spline but that also means the housing is stuffed with 100 dollar bills" I was hoping for :crybaby:. I'll take the diff out when I get a chance then to see if it's worth tossing in the rear of my '69, was hoping to save some time if it's no better than my current crop of parts but oh well I'm already building 2 of everything for these FJs what's a little more work :wrench:? I'd considered maybe just a flange swap but given the...quality :hillbilly:....of the other additions it'd have to be at least 2 POs back before the frame horn was bent, the body was smashed on the pass side, and the holes for the bumper mounts were cut by Ray Charles with a torch.

I just identified the 4 Landcruiser flanges on another thread, but now can't find it??? I identified by bolt pattern, bolt size, spline count, and production date.

Thanks a ton everyone, based on Trollhole's excellent link reccomendation I measured the bolt pattern and bolt size with my trusty dial indicator. I've determined it's a fine spline and the flange is...*drumroll*...from an '83 t-case front. Seeing how it's a 3/74 cruiser, that fits with the same driveshaft pattern for a stock flange so I can see why it was used. Guess I'll pull it and check the condition it's in and put it in my rear housing if it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom