Thinking about new engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 97 lx 450 (you know the fj80 with swapped badges) sitting at about 240,000 miles. Had some minor problems nothing huge but I was thinking about putting a new engine in after I start my new job. I was thinking a v8 but I don’t really know enough about what kind, the work involved, a decent price for one. If anyone has any ideas I would really preciate it.

Welcome to MUD and the obsession.

There are tons of threads and builds with engine swaps. Try searching and digging around. Cost will vary depending on how much work you plan to do. I see prices as high as $20k for a complete build by a quality shop.

I got a 97 lx 450 (you know the fj80 with swapped badges) sitting at about 240,000 miles. Had some minor problems nothing huge but I was thinking about putting a new engine in after I start my new job. I was thinking a v8 but I don’t really know enough about what kind, the work involved, a decent price for one. If anyone has any ideas I would really preciate it.
Just because you're at 240K does not mean you need a new engine.

Maybe you need some new seals, and to do some "major" PM, but these engines are known to go a LONG time, especially with regular maintenance.

Unless, you're looking to increase HP, Torque, or whatever, and your money is just burning a hole in your pocket.

I don't know where Sandy Springs is, but that may drive your decision for a "different" engine.

Maybe you need some new seals, and to do some "major" PM, but these engines are known to go a LONG time, especially with regular maintenance.

Unless, you're looking to increase HP, Torque, or whatever, and your money is just burning a hole in your pocket.

I don't know where Sandy Springs is, but that may drive your decision for a "different" engine.
Its a suburb outside of Atl and I wanted something more powerful than the original engine and the fact its getting up there. I do occasionally tow stuff and normally the guy pulling my buddies outa holes. This also isn’t something I wanted to do right now just wanted to start getting some ideas for a few years down the line.

If you’re planning on swapping in a V8 and paying a shop to do all the labor, budget for about $20k for a 5.3 swap. A rebuild of your factory motor by a competent 80 shop will likely run about half that depending on what you all have done while it’s apart.

Don't abandon the 1FZ-FE yet. They're just too well built. Clean up the engine, throw some tune-up parts/service at it, and assess what you have. Remember...that engine is the heart of what gives the truck its Land Cruiser venerability.

The 1FZ is no 6.0L LS when it comes to power, sure, but they make more than adequate power to scoot around 285 and do some pulling when required - so long as you keep the overall ratios close to stock. Stock gears and tires were 4.10s with 30s. If that gets screwed with, the "it's got no power" complaints come out. Our 270k mile 80 on heavy 35s with 4.88s moves along great, turns in 16mpg all day, and pulls Monarch Pass as well as any rig can

Dive into search mode on the forum for the next week or so and report back with any unanswered questions. Unless you have a really compelling reason and a lot of time, money and or mechanical skills an engine swap won't make sense for most folks.

A V8 swap would dramatically decrease the collector value of your 80 compared to a new Toyota engine (which would increase the value) unless maybe you did what Joe Rogan did (?$200,000 worth of mods).

If you want more power there's a complete Turbo kit for $6000 (see link). And a new Toyota engine with the Turbo kit would cost less than
a V8 swap in the end.

New Toyota short block in the box:

Turbo kit:

Last edited:

This. Yeah, this engine was designed for desert warlords and bush war soldiers. These engines are severely underused. Want for get up and go? Get yourself some forced induction.

Google drag race 1FZ.

Every time I watch that 1fz powered drag car I get a big smile on my face. Love that “tractor” motor.

^^^ do what all of them have said first, then think about a V8 swap. Regearing was the best solution for me. My rig can now keep up with LA traffic (that really is a HUGE safety factor when everyone goes about 80mph when there is no traffic) while sporting a small lift and 295s.

Welcome to the club and spend as much time as you can on here reading and learning. It will be invaluable once you actually start wrenching and enjoying your 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom