The Wall of Shame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You got it!! Took me a while to trouble shot that one. I THINK they did it on purpose because the engine wouldn't shut off with it switched around the correct way. Nature of the external VR and ammeter wiring of an FJ40, I've been told. Needed a diode in white wire line to the alternator to stop the back flow of current. Whatever the reason, it should be good to go now! Diode in place, engine shuts off, factory VR on firewall bypassed, and charging at 14.5+ volts when running!

I learned that the hard way when I was in high school. I wired in an Alternator in my Baja bug and didn't feel I needed to add in the idiot light like the diagram showed. When the bug wouldn't shut off with the key It took me a bit to figure out the light was an important part of the system and did more than just show if its charging or not. A diode does the same job as a light, for that purpose.

Guess who’s back!!!!

NEVER, ever, in four decades have I seen someone put silicone on...a knuckle arm! :bang: They literally tried to bottle up the genie rather than fix the problem
0F6BC01B-8435-4107-9AE3-F562302609E0.jpeg
3AF1F258-FD4A-44E8-B879-9CB0D0C2F3CE.jpeg

If they’d bothered to pull the spindle and birfield they would have found the real reason:
2AD65F69-534E-49D7-A91D-5BE97A034E28.jpeg

the birfield seal is attached to the axleshaft instead of the axle housing!

Last edited:
Notice how grease-free the knuckle is. :rolleyes:

and I case you missed it the first time around:

573BD27F-A118-45E3-8128-14389D1900AB.jpeg

Notice how grease-free the knuckle is. :rolleyes:

and I case you missed it the first time around:

View attachment 2188746

never seen that before with the silicone. atleast the knuckle was easy to clean out as there was no grease left in there.
both sides had silicone or just 1 side?

You have so much fun at your job!!!!!

devo

Yes I do Bob! I spend a small part of EVERY day thinking ‘I’m getting PAID to do this!’ I have some really great customers who respect the quality of my work enough to deal with my quirks. :)

I'm sure you hear a lot of things. Just heard something I haven't heard before, a friend was told his frame had "flattened". Is this a real condition or just a dodge?

I'm sure you hear a lot of things. Just heard something I haven't heard before, a friend was told his frame had "flattened". Is this a real condition or just a dodge?

maybe after it was run thru a car crusher? or a monster truck??

No, I haven’t David. Don’t imagine it’s likely either. Maybe in an open C channel frame. But not one as boxed as a 40.

Both my 68/40 and 64/45 have sagged frames. But they have both suffered the trauma of being used for their intended purpose...for a very long time.

As I worked my way through the front end of the SA nightmare, I hade my reservations about the hub housing. It had some pretty deep grooves in the backside where the seal goes.
CCC0D7F2-0F5B-40C9-A752-4A63EC5572EC.jpeg

Probably because the dust seal had long since failed
020757F0-EC67-4F7F-B413-C86199405D0D.jpeg

I knew the wheel studs were going to have to be replaced to run factory rims. The ones in there were extra long and shouldered to accommodate alloy rims.

I figured the dust seal was a secondary, not like the wheel bearing seal, so I went ahead and cleaned the hub up with the intention of putting stock studs in. Nope. Holes were drilled for the longer studs. :bang:

So I cleaned up a new, non US drum hub, put in new wheel bearings and reassembled. Nope. That’s not going to work either! Hadn’t occurred to me while I was overhauling the demolished rear end that all the replacement parts came right off my shelves no issue...including the backing plates! D’oh, the SA truck has a domestic rear end...that takes 15” rims. The SA front axle won’t take his shiny new factory 15” rims he special ordered.:crybaby:

Called the customer and explained how I can’t even safely offer to reassemble the truck now without putting in a biasing valve to properly control the difference between the two brake systems. His reply: change the front to disc!

To be continued.

Disc conversion is almost done. Ironically, the hub housing on the passenger side was not grooved.
7C5DBDAC-B053-42AB-A43D-16DFD9527520.jpeg

NO RUBBER LEFT IN THE SEAL AT ALL! :bang:

No grease to leak out of the knuckle. Good thing too, as the backside of the knuckle had not been assembled in the correct order:
9AE69C76-4397-43A2-9548-D4C572A50878.jpeg

Today’s entrants are domestic, out of a ‘66 front end I just picked up from @Dynosoar. @wngrog informed me many years ago these are to be referred to as ‘work-hardened.’ :rolleyes:
A4E1CF47-9A2D-406F-BE20-8D236F3129C7.jpeg

@Coolerman said my truck wiring qualifies to be on the wall of shame thread. I'll add more later. Some hack did a number on the wiring. It is really bad!

wires.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom