The "Un-Official" Off Road Trailer Pic Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m getting there.

E2EA729C-CFCF-40AE-8C48-98DDAA02A41C.jpeg

This is a lowes utility trailer I purchased for a home improvement job…then decided it could get some use as a camping trailer.

I’d like to add a second axle to it so I can “trust” it on longer road-trips without worrying about a blown tire, though I don’t know whether that’s feasible given the design.

4B6A4390-910B-4048-A77F-557601409928.jpeg

This is a lowes utility trailer I purchased for a home improvement job…then decided it could get some use as a camping trailer.

I’d like to add a second axle to it so I can “trust” it on longer road-trips without worrying about a blown tire, though I don’t know whether that’s feasible given the design.

View attachment 3235295
I wouldn’t bother adding a second axle. But maybe upgrade the axle to a 2500lb (at least) axle and maybe run a little larger tire if you’re worried about it.
But it will probably be just fine for road trips as-is.

Biggest issue that I see with trailers using tiny wheels & tires is that the bearings over-heat and seize from excess speed. Those tiny tires are like a short legged dog trying to keep up. There's a reason why big rigs use tall tires. It's to keep the bearing speed down within an acceptable range for their loading. The advice to move to a larger OD tire is a good one. Going to an axle of greater weight capacity by default means that you're going to get bigger and likely better bearings as well.

This pic is a year or two old. Camp trailer is the same but now pulled by a sprinter. 4 kids in car seats and a medium-sized dog was too much for the 200!

360977F8-59E4-4264-ACB2-4078F2C82765.jpeg

I wouldn’t bother adding a second axle. But maybe upgrade the axle to a 2500lb (at least) axle and maybe run a little larger tire if you’re worried about it.
But it will probably be just fine for road trips as-is.
Biggest issue that I see with trailers using tiny wheels & tires is that the bearings over-heat and seize from excess speed. Those tiny tires are like a short legged dog trying to keep up. There's a reason why big rigs use tall tires. It's to keep the bearing speed down within an acceptable range for their loading. The advice to move to a larger OD tire is a good one. Going to an axle of greater weight capacity by default means that you're going to get bigger and likely better bearings as well.
Looking like 225 75 15 is the tallest common size for 5 on 4.5 lugged wheels. 28.3”

I’m planning, currently, to migrate to that size on the various trailers I have.

Does running a second axle, other than offering a sort of fail safe should the first fail at highway speeds, provide any utility Offroad?

Looking like 225 75 15 is the tallest common size for 5 on 4.5 lugged wheels. 28.3”

I’m planning, currently, to migrate to that size on the various trailers I have.

Does running a second axle, other than offering a sort of fail safe should the first fail at highway speeds, provide any utility Offroad?
Not really. You probably won't notice much difference with dual axles on fire roads but I think it will just complicate and make things harder if you get into anything rougher than a graded road. It would still work (I've seen people take tandem axle car haulers into some crazy places) but any benefit you think you'll gain from a second axle will likely be erased offroad.

I understand if you have multiple trailers and you're trying to run the same (or similar) size tire on all of them but I would really look into just getting a larger axle. It will address any durability concerns you currently have. As was mentioned, will probably have larger bearings that will be stronger and last longer. And, you can get it in any lug pattern you want so that it opens up a lot more options for wheel choice and more importantly, tire size.

Not really. You probably won't notice much difference with dual axles on fire roads but I think it will just complicate and make things harder if you get into anything rougher than a graded road. It would still work (I've seen people take tandem axle car haulers into some crazy places) but any benefit you think you'll gain from a second axle will likely be erased offroad.

I understand if you have multiple trailers and you're trying to run the same (or similar) size tire on all of them but I would really look into just getting a larger axle. It will address any durability concerns you currently have. As was mentioned, will probably have larger bearings that will be stronger and last longer. And, you can get it in any lug pattern you want so that it opens up a lot more options for wheel choice and more importantly, tire size.
Is there a particular axle you’d recommend?

I’ve got 5x150 wheels and 35’s on my tow vehicle. I wouldn’t mind running similar sized tires though it seems like a mixed response as to whether there is much utility running like tires between the tow rig and trailer.

Is there a particular axle you’d recommend?

I’ve got 5x150 wheels and 35’s on my tow vehicle. I wouldn’t mind running similar sized tires though it seems like a mixed response as to whether there is much utility running like tires between the tow rig and trailer.
I'd start a new thread with this line of question/discussion. This is primarily a photo thread.

Apart of a short foray out into the middle of Nevada last summer we got to push, er pull, the little Escape 15A a little harder. As you can imagine it certainly has its limitations but given its plusses and minuses, its really nice to be able to have mostly full features and protection from wind & rain.

IMG_8940.JPG

IMG_8954.JPG

Apart of a short foray out into the middle of Nevada last summer we got to push, er pull, the little Escape 15A a little harder. As you can imagine it certainly has its limitations but given its plusses and minuses, its really nice to be able to have mostly full features and protection from wind & rain.

View attachment 3246383

View attachment 3246389
What size tires did you end up with on the escape?

Prototype 2021 Rustic Mountain Overlanding Yakka 48. Based off the frame of the RMO Patrol trailer with Cruiser Master independent suspension and DO35 hitch option. Dometic RTX 1000 12v AC powered off a Renogy 200aH battery, with solar and Redarc charging systems. 46x84 on the interior.
021423.jpg

I40.jpg

Prototype 2021 Rustic Mountain Overlanding Yakka 48. Based off the frame of the RMO Patrol trailer with Cruiser Master independent suspension and DO35 hitch option. Dometic RTX 1000 12v AC powered off a Renogy 200aH battery, with solar and Redarc charging systems. 46x84 on the interior.View attachment 3275802
View attachment 3275803
I like that. I almost built one very similar before I built mine.

This was my first attempt at 'building' a trailer.

The base of the trailer was a beat up ex welding trailer I picked up in early 2021. My best guess is the trailer is from the 60's.
PXL_20210416_220748059_2 (1).jpg

I started cutting, welding and sand blasting the trailer; and ended up with a fairly usable set up.
PXL_20221103_172118549.jpg

PXL_20221105_135426978.NIGHT.jpg

Some of the basic build includes: 3500lb Dexter brake axle, 30" tires, 11' x 2.5 x 0.25" hitch backbone from front to back, lighting and 15 gallons of water storage/filtration.
PXL_20220921_235354911.jpg

PXL_20220905_161818843.PORTRAIT.jpg

I estimate I have about 7,000 miles on the trailer now. It pulls great on the trail and road...and according to a sheriff in Western Kansas, it also tracks well near 90mph when passing a few trucks :hillbilly:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom