The Restoration Begins, Lots of ?'s, Axle Rebuild, WindShield Leak, Refurbishing! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
The Restoration Begins, OEM Refurbishing, TJM Lift, The Wife's Rig UPDATE 2/17/12

Hey guys, my name is Brian,
I’m somewhat green in the world of Fj’s but I do have extensive experience working on Jeeps!

Grab a soda, take a ****, and get a snack... this is a long one:popcorn::grinpimp:

We sold the wife’s 2000 Xj back in august and purchased a solid, 1994 FZJ80. It is white on grey, had 171,000 miles on the dial and was only a two owner. It spent the first ten or so years of its life in Arizona and had a perfect carfax with some dealer maintenance history logged… Though we thought about selling it for something more fuel efficient, we simply CAN’T. We love this big guy, and we have a dog, a daughter, and a busy life of traveling and law school so we can use the space and the 4x4 for the beach and mountains (the homeland). My jeep is a bit extreme for super long trips that don’t have a need for long armed, locked, mud terrained xjs….

1994 Land Cruiser
White
Grey Leather
3rd row seating
Non-Locked
180,000 miles (we have driven it A LOT since we got it!)
I added a double DIN Pioneer DVD/MP3 head unit
I also purchased some Husky floor liners for the front and rear

UPDATE AS OF 2/17/2012

Just to clean up the opening post i fingurd I would do just that!!

Parts Installed to date:

OEM Antenna Mast
OEM rubber window gaskets (x4)
OEM rear heat switch
OEM CDL switch
OEM Denso Spark Plugs
OEM Denso Plug Wires
OEM Distributor Cap and Rotor
New Air Filter
TJM 50mm Progressive Rate Lift
OME steering stabilizer
Husky Floor Liners Front & Rear
Pioneer Double Din

Parts Waiting to Be Installed

OEM Toyota Carpet
Cruiser Outfitters Axle Rebuild Kit with KOYO Wheel Bearings
OEM Fuel Filter

Parts to be Ordered Shortly
AATLASX Leather Kit
OEM seat cushions
Goodyear Duratrac 305/70/16's

PICS of the LC and a few of my XJ
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/056.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/055.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/044.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/049.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/DSC_0443.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/043.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/brianglawson/050.jpg"] [/URL]

Last edited:
Don't use silicone for the windshield. Use a polyurethane adhesive, like in my writeup in my sig. You don't just seal one spot, you go around the whole windshield, sealing the exterior glass-to-seal interface. My signature has the writeup, just don't have good pics.

Sent from my android Iconia Tab using Forum Runner

Your gonna wish the Toyota was as easy to work on as that XJ. Gone are the days of 30 minute complete axle and hub changeouts. No more sipping fuel at a gas mizering 16mpg. It was a hard transition for me too.

For your tune up parts I would recomend you get the OEM stuff. Everything fits so much better than aftermarket. As though its meant for your vehicle ! The OEM air cleaner and wire set is top notch as far as quality. The wires are damn expensive though and if I had to do it again I might look at some Taylor wires from Summit Racing. You can do quite a bit of OEM tune up for $200. Don't forget a thermostat and fuel filter, oh and PCV and grommet. Hope this helps.

Your gonna wish the Toyota was as easy to work on as that XJ. Gone are the days of 30 minute complete axle and hub changeouts.

Yeah 1-ton suspension vs. 1/2-ton, expect things to take a little bit longer.

X2 on what Firetruck said. Silicone as been shown to promote rust, just an fyi.

I haven't read thru the whole things so I don't have a lot to write yet :flipoff2:

The two answers I had have already been posted, but I'll just emphasize: Don't use Bosch spark plugs!

When they get fuel fouled, they do not fire very well. I've seen a Honda that would not run with almost-new Bosch plugs in it. Swapped out for Champion (that's what was available) and it fired right up.

UPDATE:

Well, I just ordered a new, grey, OEM Toyota Carpet kit for the front two rows from a member here on Mud. Score one for the Fj

I really, really need to figure out what brand of parts to order for the front axle. Obviously OEM parts are always great, but i do know sometimes some aftermarket brands are just as good once cars start getting this old.

Does anyone use this kit, with the Timkens OR Koyo wheel bearings?
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/seals.html (im refering to the whole kit with wheel bearings)

I also need to figure out what 2.5" lift kit to go

Im leaning towards Iron man or OME
I just cant determine if IronMan has quality shocks or not
And i cant determine what spring rate to get (wifes rig, but could tow my xj some, however we want it comfortable, we travel a lot, just haul personal luggage and about 200 POUNDS of kayaks on the roof)

Lastly, should i use camber correcting bushings or should i use control arm drop brackets?

Ill make sure and read that write up FireTruck! thank you,

I still have the xj, so the days definitely arent gone.... this rig is more tha family wagon.. the xj is the mountain goat....

Last edited:
Im thinking a long the lines of this ome kit

Cruisin outfitters advertises it as a light/medium 851's and 860's
Part# OME80LM
1 - OME 2851 Front Coil Spring
2 - 60018 Front Nitrocharger Sport Shock
1 - OME 2860 Rear Coil Spring
2 - 60020 Rear Nitrocharger Sport Shock
1 - OME CA77B Caster Correction Kit
1 - OME SD24 Steering Damper

How would the comparable Ironman stack up, are the shocks decent? I know it would probably come out cheaper

I know a lot of guys have this setup, how is the ride, and how is the towing ability? Im thinking of just a dolly, it woud be all flat ground towing, just to the beach and back, and the XJ is pretty light. Just pop the driveshaft out and let it roll on its rears.

I really, really need to figure out what brand of parts to order for the front axle. Obviously OEM parts are always great, but i do know sometimes some aftermarket brands are just as good once cars start getting this old.

Does anyone use this kit, with the Timkens OR Koyo wheel bearings?

Cruiser Outfitters
(im refering to the whole kit with wheel bearings)

Timken and Koyo are both OEM suppliers for the 80. When I rebuilt my front axle I got Timkens for the wheel bearing and Koyos for the trunnion bearings from the dealer. Also try calling cruiserdan or Onur (Beno on here) at American Toyota for parts. Good guys to work with and there is a discount for mud members. 800-432-6668

What about the "wipers" and stuff for the knuckles? im leaning towards the Cruisin outfitters kit for price, mainly because its about 150$ cheaper than quoted by another member on here and still uses qualit bearings

Cruiseroutfitters front axle kit is a good option. I bought mine from him last time. I think I would use the regular axle seals next time, not the marlin seals.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

Firetruck,

Why would you use the regular seals instead of the Marlin seals? I was under the impression that the Marlin seals where better quality.

Thanks,
Ryan

Cruiseroutfitters front axle kit is a good option. I bought mine from him last time. I think I would use the regular axle seals next time, not the marlin seals.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

What about the "wipers" and stuff for the knuckles? im leaning towards the Cruisin outfitters kit for price, mainly because its about 150$ cheaper than quoted by another member on here and still uses qualit bearings

I got my front axle rebuild kit from Cruiser Outfitters with Koyo bearings. No issues with the kit at all. I also got the Marlin Eco seals from him as well. 10k kms and no issues so far.

I got the OME 850/860 with OME shocks and Slee Black caster bushings. So far its been great! I get a bit of stink bug unloaded but as soon as I get some gear in the back its nice and level. Ride is great, a bit firm in the front but I only have dual batteries to ad weight so far.

For tune up parts I would only go OEM period.

Quick 'n' dirty response... Ironman springs are comfy but firm. I like mine a lot and my truck is usually lightly-loaded. I use mine with the stock size Bilsteins, which probably limits flex. I chose Slee caster bushings over the MAF drop brackets because the brackets would not work with my sliders. The bushings were cheaper and work well. Stick with OEM tune up parts. I plan to use the Cruiser Outfitters axle kit this summer, as it has a good reputation. No rear axle pinion issues or need for panhard with low lifts. Make sure the seat rails are aligned well or you'll chew up your new gears. Antenna mast should be replaceable. Call Cruiser Dan on that one.

My wife's LX has mediums all around w/ OME shocks and she loves the ride. When I did the FA rebuild I used Cruiser Outfitters and won't hesistate to use 'em again. For caster correction I installed Ironman adjustable caster bushings on both 80's. Both rigs drive nice and straight down the highway.

arndog, what spring numbers were they? 851/860 or 850/860? What degree setting are you using for caster? also, is your wifes rig regeared with the 315 duratracs? we'd really like 315's instead of 305's but we are scared of them in the mountains on stock gears

MojoRisin said:
any reasons why people are using slee bushings instead of OME?

Yes. They are 3 degree instead of 2 degree. For most lifts 2° is not quite enough to get caster back to spec.

Sent from my android Iconia Tab using Forum Runner

will the steeper angle increase the risk of vibes from the front shaft? or are perhaps the iron mans the best options, the adjustable ones?

back to springs and shocks, 850s or 851s? 860s or 863s? (no "J" springs, too much lift)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom