Axle Oil Leak Diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I have a 97 LX450. I had the front axles rebuilt about 2 years ago but now I have a significant leak coming from the front passenger axle. I also verified the diff breather was clear per other forum posts.

Any guidance on parts order(cruiserdan?) or tips/tricks/ things to be concerned about? Should I follow the front axle rebuild thread?

I’ve never done this repair before.

Thank you,
Chris

IMG_6641.jpeg

Hi All,

I have a 97 LX450. I had the front axles rebuilt about 2 years ago but now I have a significant leak coming from the front passenger axle. I also verified the diff breather was clear per other forum posts.

Any guidance on parts order(cruiserdan?) or tips/tricks/ things to be concerned about? Should I follow the front axle rebuild thread?

I’ve never done this repair before.

Thank you,
Chris

View attachment 3423215
If your diff breather is clear, it's time for some new inner seals.

HOWEVER, you have something more sinister going on there.

Your lower steering arm is LOOSE.

You need to tighten your nuts!

71 LB-FT.

This loose arm can be causing the leak.

The PROPER way is to take it apart on the bottom, clean off all the oil and grease, put it back together dry, then relube it from above.

You need to smack the steering arm with a dead blow hammer while tightening it in order to get it seated properly. (after cleaning and dry. If you do this with grease in there, it will do it again)

I'm guessing it has compromised your inner axle seal at least temporarily.

Last edited:
What he said.

Just to be clear, as Dan has stated in the past, this really isn't a rebuild (unless you're replacing non-wear parts), it's a knuckle service. You're just replacing seals and grease/oil.

The FSM will tell you all you need to know (it's in the Resources section for free download), but if you're one of those visual learner guys, here's OTRAMM's take on the job:

Any guidance on parts order(cruiserdan?)
After many years of great parts service to our community, CDan retired a few years back. Now he helps keep things sorted at the Land Cruiser Museum in Salt Lake City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom