the Puma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just curious though, why would it matter if it was out of state?

It doesn't...valid topic / dicussion for all involved IMHO.

Ordered the Puma 12 v It's on sale till the end of June for $199.00
I will come up with an interesting mount for it.

Ordered the Puma 12 v It's on sale till the end of June for $199.00
I will come up with an interesting mount for it.

Shipped?!
I paid $230 for mine 2 days ago :crybaby:

Shipped?!
I paid $230 for mine 2 days ago :crybaby:

maybe they wanted to end the conversation quickly after they saw his picture ;p

The eagle has landed :D
I snuck into your country long enough to pick up my Puma at the package holding place I use. Paid the taxes at my side of the border and brought it home.
I was hoping it was going to fit in my storage drawer, but surprise surprise, it's too tall. I could divorce it and fit it in, but it would eat up a lot of storage space back there. I suspect it's going to stay in one piece and I'll have to find somewhere for it to live.

Tomorrow I'll get some 6 G wire and 75 amp Anderson Powerpoles, wire it up and start looking for a place in the truck for it to live. Sweet!
puma.jpg

Good deal!

Sorry $199.00 + 12.50 shipping, but I bought something else, so you can cut the shipping in half for the Puma
still lower than 230 :D

Was this deal by the buzzard gulch company?:hmm:

Was this deal by the buzzard gulch company?:hmm:

Yes

I received it yesterday. I temp hooked it up to try it out. It works great. I will be thinking of a suitable mounting solution and begin the install this weekend .
thanks
Don

A maximum distance of 10 feet will limit the voltage drop to 3% or less with a #6 Copper conductor delivering 45.0 amps on a 13.5 volt system(engine running).

No #6 landscaping wire available that Im aware of:hillbilly:

The marine electrical guide I follow says the wire length should be determined from the positive power source back to the negative return. So a 10’ run, actually is 20’ with return. According to this guide a 10% voltage drop is OK for non-critical electrical loads (non-safety related). Assuming the compressor is located away from the engine, then a 20’ or 30’ return run might be typical.

Recommended conductor size for 20’ return run:

• 10% voltage drop at 30 amps at 12 volts is 12 gauge.

• 10% voltage drop at 50 amps at 12 volts is 10 gauge.
The recommended conductor size for 30’ return run:

• 10% voltage drop at 30 amps at 12 volts is 10 gauge.

• 10% voltage drop at 50 amps at 12 volts is 8 gauge.
At 24 volt you can reduce the wire size by 2 gauges for the same current capacity, subject to the 10% maximum voltage drop.
I plan to run two Superflow MV50s in series for 24 volt and plumb the outlets together to a single hose.Thanks for the ideas guys - will report back. Must resolve my tire rubbing problem first.

The marine electrical guide I follow says the wire length should be determined from the positive power source back to the negative return. So a 10’ run, actually is 20’ with return. According to this guide a 10% voltage drop is OK for non-critical electrical loads (non-safety related). Assuming the compressor is located away from the engine, then a 20’ or 30’ return run might be typical.

Recommended conductor size for 20’ return run:

• 10% voltage drop at 30 amps at 12 volts is 12 gauge.

• 10% voltage drop at 50 amps at 12 volts is 10 gauge.
The recommended conductor size for 30’ return run:

• 10% voltage drop at 30 amps at 12 volts is 10 gauge.

• 10% voltage drop at 50 amps at 12 volts is 8 gauge.
At 24 volt you can reduce the wire size by 2 gauges for the same current capacity, subject to the 10% maximum voltage drop.
I plan to run two Superflow MV50s in series for 24 volt and plumb the outlets together to a single hose.Thanks for the ideas guys - will report back. Must resolve my tire rubbing problem first.

Glen follow your table above and when you have it running test your voltage at the compressor and post your findings.

I would consider a motor a critical electrical load and anything short of its rated voltage will shorten the motors life.

Kevin
Looking for a source for that mini warn type plug you had connected to your Puma . I have mine portable mounted, on my rear deck. Now I will run a short line to the rear bumper for easy access, but I want to get one of those fancy plugs to make mine ultra portable too:cheers:
thanks
Don

Yes , those are the type. I believe his were the smaller housing style like these. I wonder if he got them locally or did he have to order them . These ones are 6, 8 and 10 gauge. I think these would be fine for a portable set up. My wire run is maybe 3 feet. I was thinking of 8 gauge wire for the minimal run I have.
Kevin Let me know if these are available locally
SB50 SB Series 50 Amp Anderson Powerpole Set - $4.02

thanks for the link
Don

Glen follow your table above and when you have it running test your voltage at the compressor and post your findings.

I would consider a motor a critical electrical load and anything short of its rated voltage will shorten the motors life.

I will do that - but I reckon that with the engine running, a 10% voltage drop on 13.5 V = 12.15 volts at the motor.

Sawzall or bump stops?:hillbilly:

After the trip, what are your thoughts on the new MTR's?

MTR/K's worked well on the rock and sand, but that is not really a good test (wet pavement/rock and mud are our show stoppers up here). This summer we are doing a two week excusion following the Alexander Mackenzie Heritage Trail, which should have lots of mud from others' reports of that trail.
As a side note, they seemed wear quite a bit of the trip there and back, so I will be monitoring wear performanace from now on.

Kevin
Looking for a source for that mini warn type plug you had connected to your Puma . I have mine portable mounted, on my rear deck. Now I will run a short line to the rear bumper for easy access, but I want to get one of those fancy plugs to make mine ultra portable too:cheers:
thanks
Don

Wasn't mine, maybe Jim's?

Kevin Let me know if these are available locally

thanks for the link
Don

No idea, but if your going to order, I will take a pair.

That is a great link by the way.
I called the powerwerks.com Those mine busepole plugs are the shiznit.
I plan on ordering some
You need to order 2 of the same color to mate them
You also need to let them know what gauge wire you will be using.
If anyone thinks they may have a need for a these, let me know. They have a quantity discount for 10 or more.
If I order sets for myself and Kevin that would be 4 total (Kevin I need wire gauge and color for yours)
I figured since the Puma was blue I was gonna get blue plugs for it.
Look over the page and let me know if you want any
It looks like they are 1.89" tall I like the size for the compressor.

thanks
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom