the Puma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I said I bought a Puma compressor, but what I failed to tell you is that I need a trailer to pull it. So 15' of 6/0 will be fine. Thank you very much:flipoff2:

Kevin
Any word on the 6 gauge?

Tried a local, one of my customers who sells to the trucking industry and gets good/wholesale deals. Now wont have info 'till Tuesday.:eek: Should have just ordered on the net.:eek::mad:

Has anyone tried a Welding supply store they usually carry that stuff alot cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Just thinking out loud. I believe someone already mentioned it but I dont remember hearing a verdict on it ;)

Ok thanks Tools :D

6 gauge is big.
Finally got going on mine today. Swapped the hot lead for 6G, ended up using the stock negative wire by stripping then folding the bare wire over double and jamming it in the 6G powerpole crimped and soldered. Seems to be ok.

Started looking at mounting options again, and realized it's probably going to wind up permanently mounted after all, making the powerpoles a waste of time and money - but that's usually how i roll :D

Hoping to finish mounting tomorrow. The Puma is quieter than the ARB compressor...
IMG_0002.jpg

Post up on how you have your Puma mounted without using ratchet straps.

Here's V1 in progress. 1/4 plate bent 90 degrees sandwiched between the compressor and tank. The stock bolts are swapped for longer grade 8 bolts, washers, and nylocks.
This'll be bolted to the side of my rear drawer, which is 3/4 plywood and bolted securely to the floor.
I'll throw up another shot when it's in.
mount.jpg

Hm. Grade 8? Really? Not stainless/cadmium-plated fine-thread M8 or M10? Can you really live with that - grade 8?

I somehow seem to recall a strong notion communicated to me that grade 8 bolts are just for insecure owners of American-built vehicles, and are nowhere near the quality of Toyota-sourced fasteners...:eek:

In any case, it looks like I'll be the only one left with the 10g landscape cable to run the Puma. So we better break out the voltmeter next time and get some numbers... :)

Hm. Grade 8? Really? Not stainless/cadmium-plated fine-thread M8 or M10? Can you really live with that - grade 8?

I somehow seem to recall a strong notion communicated to me that grade 8 bolts are just for insecure owners of American-built vehicles, and are nowhere near the quality of Toyota-sourced fasteners...:eek:

In any case, it looks like I'll be the only one left with the 10g landscape cable to run the Puma. So we better break out the voltmeter next time and get some numbers... :)

Not so fast mine still runs #10 :hillbilly:

... :)

:lol::lol::lol:

You're absolutely right, I'm going to fix that asap. I must be hanging out with my Ranger-driving buddy too much.
If I return the grade 8s you think they'll give me my 81 cents back?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not so fast mine still runs #10 :hillbilly:

Hm. Whatever happened to:

...I would consider a motor a critical electrical load and anything short of its rated voltage will shorten the motors life.

So, how can you live with the fact that your Puma compressor is not operating at peak efficiency, in fact, it is operating under conditions that could significantly shorten it's service life? Doesn't that go completely against your Swiss genes? :D

See, with mine, it doesn't matter: since I usually tailgun, I get to air up the K5 AND the '40. So, it's gonna be slow anyways, no matter how fast or slow the compressor operates...

You're absolutely right, I'm going to fix that asap. I must be hanging out with my Ranger-driving buddy too much.
If I return the grade 8s you think they'll give me my 81 cents back?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"...Rangers are, like, 12 bucks!"

Guess where that quote originally came from... (and by the way, I have at least one witness...).

If they don't take the grade 8 bolts back, bring'em to CruiseMoab next year, I'll offer to purchase them there at face value. They're going to be awesome on the K5...:D (or in the boonie box..) :eek:

Last edited:
See, with mine, it doesn't matter: ...

Just replace the bolts w/grade 8 already, I know it's killin you that someone beat you to it!:hillbilly:

Just replace the bolts w/grade 8 already, I know it's killin you that someone beat you to it!:hillbilly:

I'm suffering from separation from my truck...:eek:

I'm actually considering bolting my Puma to the floor just about where I have it strapped down right now, and using the 4 feet of the Puma. When I get to that will be an entirely different matter...

Hm. Whatever happened to:

So, how can you live with the fact that your Puma compressor is not operating at peak efficiency, in fact, it is operating under conditions that could significantly shorten it's service life? Doesn't that go completely against your Swiss genes? :D

See, with mine, it doesn't matter: since I usually tailgun, I get to air up the K5 AND the '40. So, it's gonna be slow anyways, no matter how fast or slow the compressor operates...

I would have never of used #10 in the first place but I failed to do my own research and listen to Kevin...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/166969-puma-12v-compressor.html

In addition have you ever hear the one about the shoemakers kids shoes:hillbilly:

12 volt Wiring Guide

Here is a copy of the marine wiring guide I use, which is fairly conservative. I find that marine wire gauge is thicker/heavier than the equivalent automotive wiring gauge. Marine wire also has a tin coating, which prevents copper corrosion (greenish oxidation), which occurs in moist areas - probably not an issue in the desert. I have a page for 24 volt, which for any given wire gauage and length, has greater current carrying capability. The higher the voltage the higher is the current capacity for the same gauge and length of wire.

happy wiring ...

Wiring Guide.jpg

battery jumper cable

What about battery jumper cable are cheap and they are #10, #8, #6, #4, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom