The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry ForealBoreal I meant the plenum intake manifold on the black toyota in post No. 3 It looks like a mighty fine made up one or can you buy them ? I d like one for an intercooling job Im working on . Thanks

I now own (since October '14) the black 80, the plenum/cooler setup has been upgraded to a custom XXi to suit the GT3071R, and I've changed the pod from a K&N to a much bigger aFe. There has been a massive improvement since the plenum/cooler setup and tune happened, however it was running 32psi due to the waste gate being jammed shut (not hooked up to pressure either). The turbo is currently being upgraded to a GTX3071R for stability and performance at 30+psi (GTX billet compressor wheel, machine comp housing to suit & new ceramic ball bearings) and I've got a new wastegate and Innovate AFR gauge to go in, when I get this all done, I'll adjust the boost to run max @ 20:1 AFR, currently max (32psi) is at 30:1, then it will be time to get a pump and injector package to support 35psi and back to Mark to tune it all
IMG_20150111_184425.jpg
IMG_20141211_160212.jpg

IMG_20150131_185620.jpg
IMG_20150131_135102.jpg
IMG_20150207_100132.jpg

You're obviously going to get good flow numbers from a cone filter. But it's going to be at the expense of filtration. You're also not going to get the above flow numbers when it is stuck in a box made from rectangles.

Maybe to keep the filtration up fit a aFe filter. What dose that compare to what's out there now ?

A what filter?

OEM and industrial filters have spiral shaped casings for two main reasons.
Firstly it throws larger particles out of the air-stream before they clog the filter, second is it distributes airflow evenly around the filter.

My question what is a paper filter rated to stock in terms of filtration.
The factory box is known to be a flow restriction when chasing higher hp and boost levels.

My question what is a paper filter rated to stock in terms of filtration.
The factory box is known to be a flow restriction when chasing higher hp and boost levels.

Some testing to ISO 5011 on different filters: http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

You could setup an experiment using a large vacuum cleaner and pressure gauges to measure both pressure drop and air velocities/volume flow. Or, you know, just run a restriction gauge (like a Donaldson Informer) on the stock air box to see how much vacuum it pulls. I presume you're talking about the 80 series filter box? 100 series are bigger again.

Once you have a measured base-line you can look at improving flow through the factory box or looking at alternatives. But a rectangular box with a cotton filter inside isn't something I'd ever consider.
My engine bay (not toyota) is really tight for space, ~14 years ago I built a sheet-metal scroll casing to go around a 100 series air filter element. This has worked very well, but the housing inlet/outlets are too small for future plans. I've got a Donaldson FPG complete unit to go in at some stage. But I'll need to run that well past it's normal design limits due to space reasons.

Last edited:
Maybe to keep the filtration up fit a aFe filter. What dose that compare to what's out there now ?
The photo I posted with the air box & the 2 filters, smaller one is a K&N, big blue one is an aFe, was recommended by XXi for increased flow

Turbo got back yesterday, looks s*** hot! Procharge were great to deal with, couldn't be happier with their service. Installed AFR, oil pressure & coolant temp while I had everything apart as well, just waiting for oil cooler and getting all new lines made up, hopefully have it running next weekend
FB_IMG_1424936825853.jpg
FB_IMG_1424936860907.jpg
FB_IMG_1424595850053.jpg
IMG_20150221_142937.jpg

Has anyone ever had a decent look at one of these airbox's off the FZ 100/105 series.

I imagine they would flow similar to the metal FZ lid a few pages back?

I am looking for an upgrade to my HJ61 airbox, I cannot find the metal FZ lid easily, but this entire plastic FZ airbox is only $150 and plenty on ebay...

$_12.JPG

they are actually bigger in overall size.. so are not bolt on solution .. I mean out of base point, you will need to open space to use it ..

What sort of leak? Failed welds, bad seal on filter element???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom