The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks more like the HPD one.
I am curious on the strength of the fan on it as I suspect it's a weak one.

I have also thrown cross county an email to see about some info. I am mainly questioning if the custom plenum thing will benefit my needs and really be a true performance thing in the end.

Tapage I am curious about your set up.
Did you order it from bell Intercoolers?
What are the core dimensions?

one of these modified for my needs ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAR-PLATE-R...s&fits=Make:Mazda&hash=item4d09c44254&vxp=mtr

The only thing that I'm not sure about the ebay setup ( fan can be easily replaced with a nice one I'm using mishimoto fans ) it's in my measurements there is no enough space to run that fan under the core .. but my core it's a 3" one ..

Maybe this one it's like 2" and therefore have space ..

I picked up a Cirrus kit and installed it a couple of days back.. went pretty smoothly except the intake manifold adapter sits too high and just catches the hood so I'm going to take that off and modify it so it has a slightly lower profile..

For the money it's pretty good value.. when I've got the cash for the GTurbo I'm going to change the piping to aluminum and silicone but for now it's fine. Busy with the pyro and boost gauges at the moment so will be seeking some tuning advice soon.. ;)

IMG_1560.jpg

So has anyone tried one of these yet? About $700 shipped, seems like a pretty good deal. Or would I be better off making one from scratch?

I'm thinking about the same thing.
I have been told some of these fans are crap and don't pull anything comparing to a high performance spal fan.
Not to mention i can't stand the scoop on this.
But it does make me wonder.

Been talking with Jon from Cross Country 4x4

The simple cross country intercooler top mount I posted uses a patrol scoop.
Though he sent me this on a 1hd-ft though I am sure it can be set up to run on the 1hd-t with a different adapter.

P1010377.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P1010382.jpg

P1010377.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P1010382.jpg

Got this shot on a 75 series with a 1hz as well. This would require a 2" body lift unfortunately.
Just trying to figure out how I could squeeze a custom log style plenum in there with a large intercooler like this.

P1010015.jpg

P1010189.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010189.jpg

Last edited:
A better look at the HPD Australia Intercooler which was formally known as the ASE Kit.
Its on a 1hd-fte but they are dame near identical. I am really wanting that bonnet scoop....

IMG_3409_zpsbdfd78b5.jpg

IMG_3407_zpsca7fa4cf.jpg

IMG_3408_zps6e16a0b0.jpg

IMG_3409_zpsbdfd78b5.jpg

IMG_3407_zpsca7fa4cf.jpg

IMG_3408_zps6e16a0b0.jpg

hi guys,

just want some info.

with a top mount intercooler, is there any benifet if you dont cut a scoop out of the bonnet? will a fan do anything?

if i make a front mount, does the amount of pipe length affect anything?

cheers

hi guys,

just want some info.

with a top mount intercooler, is there any benifet if you dont cut a scoop out of the bonnet? will a fan do anything?

if i make a front mount, does the amount of pipe length affect anything?

cheers

To benefit from a top mount you will need to cut in a scoop. A fan will help apparently at lower speeds if it pulls enough cfm.

The more pipe the more lag, though depending on the turbo and intercooler set up you are running this can become less noticeable

.....And last time I checked, air to water intercoolers already boast great effeciency with low pressure drop across the core.... why focus on improving an already effecient core... focus on sheding the heat from the system because that is the weak link. Just a thought.

I finally got around to throwing in a second radiator. If you recall, I had tested my intercooler core at about 75% effective, and the same for the 12x12x2" radiator. Put together the system was about 56%. Not overly impressive.

I had a second radiator from the old Denco system that I finally added in series with the bigger one. No fan on the little one at the moment. It measures about 9x9x1" but earlier testing had put it at about 75% effective as well. The math suggested that in a perfect world the two radiators and the core should add up to about 70% effective for the entire system.

So this past weekend I did my first trip up the Coquihalla with the new setup (also featuring my new intake plenum and improved intake path from turbo all the way to the head). Low and behold, all those book learnin's, often criticized by those who lack them, are actually worth something!

My real world testing is done at full heat soak - several minutes of sustained full boost, full load, pushing 1200F the whole way, temperatures are all stable including the water.

Boost @ intake manifold: 22psi
Pre-IC temp: 135C
Post-IC temp: 52C
Ambient Air: 15C
Water temp (post rad): 40C

System Effectiveness: 69%

Theory is cool. Backing it up with results is satisfying.

And for those who like interesting things as much as I do, I have a little more to add. Since I located my post-IC thermocouple downstream of my water/methanol nozzle in my new plenum I was able to see the results of turning the water/meth on and off during the test.

Adding the juice reduced the post-IC temp in the above test to 32C. When considered as part of the whole system that brings the effectiveness up to 86%. Not too shabby!

Now I have a new problem, though. The max EGT I was able to achieve was 1200F and most of the time I couldn't even get quite that high. On the big hill out of Hope right before Hwy 3 splits off I could only get 1100F in top gear holding just below the downshift point. :D I'll have to add a bit more fuel so I can hit 1300 under maximum everything again.

IC is a Frozenboost Type 10.

IMGP3729.jpg

IMGP3731.jpg

No pics of the two radiators but you can use your imagination. They have fins and stuff.

in an 80 series after top mounted intercooler you would not have that much space to run a fan .. butn that off course will depends on the thickness of your core ...

Anyhow .. without a hole in your hood .. I see that much more as an inter heater than IC .. due to engine bay heat soak ..

thanks for that.

i think i will look at a water to air setup if anything at all.

installing an intercooler should be benificial when towing, am i right in saying that?

so I want input on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Land...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0c1c94b8&vxp=mtr

It looks dame near identical to this:

http://hpdiesel.com.au/toyota-landc...ruiser-top-mount-75-79-series-intercooler-kit

Anyone bought one? Thoughts?
Looking at that size of core it can easily flow over 550CFM, should be enough for a higher boosted 1HZ and still leave potential from what I have researched.

I know the fan is questionable. Spal fans at this size pull about 540CFM. I am curious if this is going to truely make a difference pulling this amount of air.

The inlet of the intercooler is 2", so is the outlet of the ct26.
Would it be beneficial for me to increase the diameter of this into the intercooler itself or am I going to see minimal improvment enlarging it to 2.5 or even 3" for such a short run.

I may look at adapting this to an enlarged plenum down the road but for the time being it may be suitable.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom