The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my opinion there is no real benefit to running an intercooler at 12psi. The intake temps never really get too high which make the temperature drop after the intercooler less noticeable. If you don't mind running higher boost I would screw another 5psi into it and adjust the fuel to suit. 600 deg C max (post) under load is considered the limit but some people like to push it

Even when I did my Safari there wasn't a big power difference but when the 3" exhaust went on there you will start seeing it... I think the big improvements arn't found until you start to add more fuel and Boost, an Intercooler just allows you to do that....
Have Fun

3" will help and make things even cooler noticeably.
Not to mention cranking up your fuel and boost more after will do a little more

I would look into getting ateb to do a power rod mod and a 3" exhaust or doing it yourself to your truck.

12psi you will hardly notice the intercooler helping.

That should make you happy.

Next step after that is to do a gturbo and to play with your pump a little more. 25 psi sounds fun.

Not to mention there are better bang for your buck stuff locally for your transmission apparently.

Power rod was done. But still running stock exhaust. Doesn't want to rust off :)
It is actually 14 psi which I was told is max for stock turbo.
I didn't want to go too crazy with all the modifications. Now for this money I don't really like the piping etc... Anyway, I will be probably first one going from IC back to factory. If I decide so, IC will be posted for sale :)
The other thing is, I can't put now any winch on...
:rolleyes:

what did you mean with the transmission?

It sounds like it just needs to be tuned with some love and care :). People usually do exhaust before intercooler and turbo. But 14psi tuned correctly is nice and definitely noticeable.

Keep the intercooler, 3" exhaust and start saving for a gturbo and tune your fuel to suit.

You won't be disappointed. Don't stop now!

Why won't your winch fit?

Winch won't fit, because the IC core sits right where the winch would be.
Don't stop now :)
So the G turbo doesn't make sense without IC. Not if running more than 14psi?
Did you decide on what IC yet?

gatier said:
Winch won't fit, because the IC core sits right where the winch would be.
Don't stop now :)
So the G turbo doesn't make sense without IC. Not if running more than 14psi?
Did you decide on what IC yet?

You should post a few shots of the install.
Gturbo would be a quicker higher boosting turbo option.
I plan on a custom top mount, plenum and hood scoop. Trying to decide if I need a fan.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't expect to feel a 20%+ power increase with an air-air intercooler at city speeds. Have you done any nice long hills on the highway?

You've got a reasonable amount of boost for the factory turbo (~14psi) and a reasonable amount of fuel to go along with that boost (~1200F max EGT). If you had to increase boost after installing the IC then it means it is indeed cooling the charge air (increased density) and being able to to add more fuel confirms that there are more oxygen molecules present at your "new" 14psi than before adding the IC. More air is passing through your head (or is trying to, anyway).

I wouldn't rush to spend the money on a turbo as the next step. I'd get the exhaust dealt with and give all that hot air some place to go...

Then I'd put the turbo as next on the wish list.

Thanks to all for opinions! Well I do the 3" (ateb does) and see what will happen. At this point I am little bit disappointed, because I have spent this much money just to realize I need to spent much more :rolleyes:
I think I should start enjoy the car as it is and not dream about the future. And do the knuckles finaly! :)
Adam, I did few kms around including mountain hwy, where I was able to push it to 110km/h 14psi, 1220F. Before the IC was in place I did the same test, with similar numbers except the speed was slightly lower, just over 100km/h.

OK here a shameless plug for my turbos..... The best mod you can do is go for a Grunter Stage 1, designed to hold 20psi throughout rev range. Run at 16psi until you get your intercooler. It will do much more with a standard exhaust for your low rpm torque and drivability than the std turbo and 3 or 4" exhaust can do together and the price is similar.

OK, Its self serving... but it's accurate ;)

Last edited:
Hey Gbetink, I definitely keep you in mind ones the turbo goes. But right now still going strong. Maybe I should add some boost :)
Anyway, I am not missing any power/torque until I hit 4th gear. Then things heat up little bit. I actually noticed EGT decrease in winter months (6 deg.C.) and was able to add more fuel. It smokes a bit at 60-70km/h in 4th but the EGT's are just around 1200F max. and the power was there :)
Started to save the money for 3" exhaust
cheers

When I suggest exhaust as a next step I wasn't really considering the high price people charge to make one for you. I did mine for a couple hundred dollars and a day's work. If the price is even close to the same I'd do the turbo first!

One major shortcoming of the stock turbo is that when you are in 4th gear (auto) and the TC locks up your rpm drops to ~1500 and your boost drops to ~10psi. At stock boost and fuel you notice that it feels a bit dead in that area. When you increase the boost and fuel accordingly you notice that when the TC locks up you can't maintain full boost until you're back up to about 1800rpm. Many of us are/were a bit heavily fueled in that range so when the boost dropped off the EGTs went up...

One of the biggest differences I noticed with Graeme's turbo was that this dead zone in the rev range was more or less eliminated. With no other changes I went from 5psi @ 1400rpm to 10psi and from 10psi at 1500rpm to 15psi. That's before tuning. The change in drivability is unreal.

Thanks again for all the explanation!
But I have to put something right. While installing the IC one of the tubes was too close to the fuel pump and was partly blocking the linkage from throttle cable into the fuel pump. I could not use the throttle pedal all the way.
Problem fixed. Now what a difference :eek:
I feel so embarrassed now...
I'll test it on weekend + pictures

gatier said:
Thanks again for all the explanation!
But I have to put something right. While installing the IC one of the tubes was too close to the fuel pump and was partly blocking the linkage from throttle cable into the fuel pump. I could not use the throttle pedal all the way.
Problem fixed. Now what a difference :eek:
I feel so embarrassed now...
I'll test it on weekend + pictures

that would make a difference!
3 inch exhaust time!

So some testing was done. Runs pretty good. My wife told me to slow down just once which is good. She never complains about my speed :)
Now I think the 3" is mandatory. Does anybody have an easy way how to explain to women, that the 3" exhaust really helps the turbo... etc?
P1050531.jpg
P1050533.jpg
P1050534.jpg

looking good.
I am sure you cold mod your winch/bumper a bit to make it fit better

what's that thing you have attached to your frame horns .?

BTW 3" exhaust helps performance which help diesel usage which help savings in fuel which helps home economy .. ( stop there and be sure to have an escape route right away coz she's gonna start thinking in new couch, dress, curtains etc .. ask me how I know ;) )

tapage: yes horns. I could put them from the outside but the wires too short. Maybe later.
thanks for the tip on women :)

Hey gaiter are you able to "flip" that intercooler so that the inlet/outlet are at the bottom? Or do you have a transmission cooler or something in front of the radiator already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom