The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

24 valve 1hdft intercooler fit

My 24 valve intercooler fit, all alumnium piping hand fab'd. Dynoed and egt running 480n/m@2000 rpm peak egts 600 could go more but nice and safe. 240 hp@3800 Pulls like a train and great on fuel.
Picture 397.jpg

Nice piping oilpressure, can you show some more photos of the intercooler and how its mounted?

And btw, welcome:flipoff2:

My 24 valve intercooler fit, all alumnium piping hand fab'd. Dynoed and egt running 480n/m@2000 rpm peak egts 600 could go more but nice and safe. 240 hp@3800 Pulls like a train and great on fuel.

Nice power at crank. What did it measure at the wheels for you to determine the power?

It looks like the governor in your inj pump has been modded given the peak power rpm. usually peak power is lower in rpms. What was the outside air temps in the UK when it was tuned?

The EGT of 600, looks post turbo. It is very high. When you say there is more in it, I would suggest not without a lot more boost - first to bring EGTs down to 540 or less and then more so you can dial in extra fuel.

As an example, We made 220kW at crank (186kW at wheels) with 1HD-FT automatic but it needed 30psi to be safe (~20:1 AFRs) and EGT's sustained were around 520C. It made over 700nm torque at 2000.

That's why I was thinking it was a monster turbo. Peak torque that high in the rpm is very unusual. And the power-torque numbers don't add up. Doesn't say what ambient was, the type of dyno, tyre size, manual/auto. Crank numbers don't mean diddly.

1hdft intercooler

Okay wasn't really expecting much of a response on this:

The truck is a manual motor running stock size tyres (275/70/16). Diff ratios in uk 3.7:1. Std toyo exhaust (i find less transient lag with smaller exhaust street driving)

All testing done in fourth gear 1:1. Peak egts were attained at full load (wide open throttle) and slowly crept up over a period of 3-4 minutes. It took them a long time to get to the 570 degrees celcius and stabilised reasonably well here. Readings were taken pre turbo, post turbo was running around 520 degrees celcius peak before stabilising.

Ambient air was around 18 degrees celcius. Boost pressure 12 pound. Stock ct26 turbo with altered compressor wheel as fitted to later 24 valve engine. No intercooler temps that will be next time on 1hdt project and 3" exhaust, but cooler remained stable.

I agree it could run a tad more boost, but I personally don't fancy anything over 15 pound. Pump modded with tad more transfer pressure about 3 degrees advance and a tad more main fuel. No excessive black smoke underload, bit of grey under high load short burst throttle openings. Trucks done 220,000 miles. New Acl bearings and con rod bolts fitted.

Torque curve and drivability super, no lag, pulls in fifth from 1200 rpm at 35 m.p.h.

I think peak torque at 2000 rpm about right, it starts climbing rapidly at 1400-1500 rpm, power is a bit high in rev range, but it kept climbing didn't fancy taking it to 4000 rpm.
No curves to hand at minute but can post them. Figures are at the wheels not flywheel.
Picture 399.jpg
Picture 402.jpg

Nice pipe work ,nice you took it the short way ,don't understand why everyone seems to run it under neath., when its so much more length and bends. Nice numbers also at the wheels,too..on your turbo are you running the stock exhuast scroll,seems to breath great at the higher revs. Thought the only way you could do that was enlarging your exhaust side or refitting a larger one in. And yes welcome ,great One ,Two ,post too.

The numbers still don't add up. That will be fly wheel hp. There's no way running 14psi, ambient gearing and tyres, stock exhaust can pull those numbers. At a guess I would say 160 at the wheels.

Not picking, just trying to understand the numbers your posting.

Edit 12psi... Not 14.

Last edited:
What the brand of Dyno? Some are more...generous than others.

Hey oilpressure, thanks for the install photos, love the workmanship. That has to be one of the cleanest front mount installs ive seen, can you tell me the dimensions of intercooler?

Oilpressue if your doing your own piping might want to replace the air filter side rubber with bigger pipe you'll see a difference even the factory filter will restrict air ,I even felt a difference putting a snorkle on, mind you the noise is annoying. If your concerned about high boost might want to plumd the intake and see what the actual pressure is ,mine (was) 5+ lbs lower.

I am hoping to do a custom plenum but I am curious on how much room I will have under the hood with the Frp hood

funny the thing is sold already. Someone probably on mud bought it.
Curious on how it turns out.

Ok, I need opinion here! I just installed yesterday mine. It looks like this
http://hpdiesel.com.au/toyota-landc.../toyota-landcruiser-80-series-intercooler-kit
Now the problem is, I don't know if I was expecting too much form an intercooler (and 1500$ invested) but didn't feel too much of difference in power. Temperature went down around 150-200 F preturbo but the power isn't there. Definitely not the promised 37% increase. I hoped realistic for 20%. Now after fuel adjustment back at 1200F peak it feels like maybe 10% increase. I am running 12psi. I start to wonder if 3" exhaust, EVB ... wouldn't be a better investment.

3" will help and make things even cooler noticeably.
Not to mention cranking up your fuel and boost more after will do a little more

I would look into getting ateb to do a power rod mod and a 3" exhaust or doing it yourself to your truck.

12psi you will hardly notice the intercooler helping.

That should make you happy.

Next step after that is to do a gturbo and to play with your pump a little more. 25 psi sounds fun.

Not to mention there are better bang for your buck stuff locally for your transmission apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom