The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so I want input on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-Land...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0c1c94b8&vxp=mtr

It looks dame near identical to this:

http://hpdiesel.com.au/toyota-landc...ruiser-top-mount-75-79-series-intercooler-kit

Anyone bought one? Thoughts?
Looking at that size of core it can easily flow over 550CFM, should be enough for a higher boosted 1HZ and still leave potential from what I have researched.

I know the fan is questionable. Spal fans at this size pull about 540CFM. I am curious if this is going to truely make a difference pulling this amount of air.

The inlet of the intercooler is 2", so is the outlet of the ct26.
Would it be beneficial for me to increase the diameter of this into the intercooler itself or am I going to see minimal improvment enlarging it to 2.5 or even 3" for such a short run.

I may look at adapting this to an enlarged plenum down the road but for the time being it may be suitable.

Thoughts?

I'm very interested in this too. That's a damn good price for a drop in IC with hood scoop. I'm doing my 3" exhaust first while I wait for others to try this IC out.

I'm very interested in this too. That's a damn good price for a drop in IC with hood scoop. I'm doing my 3" exhaust first while I wait for others to try this IC out.

I am led to believe they are the same item.

However, I have tested the genuine article and find it lacking.

What I mean is that unless your on the highway, I hardly see a benefit over a straight pipe.

The best, plain and simple, hands down time after time when dyno testing is the generic 24"x12"x3" front cooler and custom pipe (that doesn't have leaks).

It just works. I have a dyno for a 1HDT with 150kW and a 1HDFT with 183kW at all 4 with one of those. Both with std air box (known to be restrictive)

A custom built and tested water to air can also be very good and potentially better. But for bang for your buck....

I use a slightly longer (28") core in my Lexus 1HD-FTE and I expect to see over 300HP (232kW) at wheels in a week or two.....

Don't you ever sleep?

You're starting to make me lean towards the front mount. I don't need a tranny cooler, so I should have a bit more room up front. Also, no winch.

What I mean is that unless your on the highway, I hardly see a benefit over a straight pipe.

The best, plain and simple, hands down time after time when dyno testing is the generic 24"x12"x3" front cooler and custom pipe (that doesn't have leaks).

It just works. I have a dyno for a 1HDT with 150kW and a 1HDFT with 183kW at all 4 with one of those. Both with std air box (known to be restrictive)

A custom built and tested water to air can also be very good and potentially better. But for bang for your buck....

I use a slightly longer (28") core in my Lexus 1HD-FTE and I expect to see over 300HP (232kW) at wheels in a week or two.....

Graeme,

would you see any gain by using a 4" FMIC core ie 24x12x4" core
my way of thinking is it would give approx 30% more surface area for heat transfer and potentially less pressure drop?

I realize that the bigger FMIC or a proper set up W2A is better than this set up but I do not have the room to install either (its tight under the hood and behind the grill in front of the rad due to AC crap)

I am reading ARE's intercooling data and the design of the scoop is important. I think the patrol scoop or the scoop with that kit isn't the best solution. I am looking at a larger scoop.
Not to mention I will try and seal the hood to the intercooler as best as possible to try and funnel air through the core.

According to the ebay seller it is the exact same core dimensions as the HPD cooler. As Graeme said I think they are the same thing.

It also has the exact same core size as the Cross Country kit. I read good results on that cooler but this is half the cost shipped.

In all reality the intercooler would be best above 60km/h and best at highway speed.

My cooler cost me less than $800, biggest cost was the two bosch cobra pumps. ;)

Stage 2 for that model will be intake manifold modified (custom manifold that bolts to a custom intercooler). This will get rid of the restriction and allow cool air to all cylinders, increase AFR's and allow for more better cooling and much more power. Aswell as increased response.

Stage 2 for that model will be intake manifold modified (custom manifold that bolts to a custom intercooler). This will get rid of the restriction and allow cool air to all cylinders, increase AFR's and allow for more better cooling and much more power. Aswell as increased response.

I am curious on how it's going to bolt up not to mention overall manifold shape.

Curious if this will fit in a 70 series.
I doubt the front rad will fit though.

Slick

I want to see the other stages...

Now does this sound really slick. I think we'd all love to see photos when one is done:D

Not that I have the money for it now...

Anybody stateside or up in Canada want to buy the Cross Country top mount kit for a 1hdft:doh:

I am curious on how it's going to bolt up not to mention overall manifold shape.

Curious if this will fit in a 70 series.
I doubt the front rad will fit though.

I too am also curious to see how this turns out. Should be good. All this air box and intercooler seems to be doing is giving the engine all the cool air it needs and now it looks like the injection pumps need a hp upgrade along with injectors as well maybe to supply enough fuel.

Hey there. I plan on putting a intercooler in my truck in the next month. Right now im just trying to piece all the parts together. Does anyone know where i can get one of these attachments. or like the one in red on the second pic?

80 series1hdft-adaptor.jpg

intercooler .jpg

Thanks. I emailed ASE and they want $230 for that adaptor. I think ill just try to make my own.

Seriously if you can take your intake manifold off modify it and make a custom plenum and a hose attachment.

I originally wanted to go this route.... but didn't have the time to DIY and so went with the Safari. Awesome to hear you're making this available. Not bad for a top mount:

LLK-2[1].jpg

Last edited:
I realize that the bigger FMIC or a proper set up W2A is better than this set up but I do not have the room to install either (its tight under the hood and behind the grill in front of the rad due to AC ****)
QUOTE]

I remember seeing a company in Oz that offered a custom grill for there 70 series front mounts. Can't remember though. But, doubt it would work with an 8274.

I can't even fit my horns with mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom