The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there room under the hood for them to be alternated higher and lower ( if you know what I mean, sort of like a honeycomb structure, but just two rows), as opposed to having them next to each other and flat. Just thinking the flow might be better that way. The only other setup I've seen using the laminova cores with is by a guy called Matt mccinnes (sp?). He made a pretty good setup using them on a turbo 2FE. I may be wrong but its something to think about before spending money on it to get things cut out

Those pictures look great BTW, wish I had the patience to design stuff like that

Last edited:
thanks for the input and the compliment, I have tried to draw up a honeycomb style arrangement for the cores but I can't figure out how the air flow is going to go, split it to two chambers and have 3 cores each chamber or bundle the six and seal the gap between each core? I've seen Matt Mcinnes' work as well and he has the cores in a slanted orientation. In my design above, the air passes through the cores in series while Matt's design the air goes through the cores in parallel. my thinking is that the air will be cooler but more restricted going through the cores in series where as in parallel it would flow better but be a tad less cooler. I honestly wish I had the smarts ( and a better computer) to use a physics/fluid/aero dynamics simulator to test out these ideas.

Slanted housing
slant_housing_internals_2.jpg

slant_housing_internals.jpg

Honeycomb housing
laminova_housing_honeycomb_1.jpg

laminova_housing_honeycomb_2.jpg

more ideas, opinions and theories are greatly appreciated as I have been racking my brain over this for the past three months and need fresh thoughts and perspectives. thanks again

how about this?
http://s8.postimage.org/ddi9ctxud/tall_honeycomb_housing_1.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/zdyltggid/tall_honeycomb_housing_2.jpg
http://s8.postimage.org/fxdw6xled/tall_honeycomb_housing_3.jpg

the limiting factor on how close the cores can be is size and space between the water plugs. each core has a 36mm o ring and a 42.4mm support/seal washer to keep each core water tight, there has to be a few mm in space between each to assure a proper seal.

based on http://www.onecamonly.com/showthread.php?t=4539 and https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/362684-1hdt-laminova-intercooler.html
slanted looks to be the way to go.

If you spread it out a bit ( like to 250mm) you might be able to get the height down as 100mm is tough to do on top. My air to air core is 4 inches and even if I stuck it tight on the valve cover it would touch the hood. 75mm would clear id think and you could go tight to the block as you dont have to worry about flow comming down through it like mine. I wouldnt worry about flow disruption internally as these style coolers are the lowest possible backpressure id say. Looks neat.
g

Design looks great, the Laminova cores can be restrictive however to the point they cause compressor surge, just something to think about if you're gonna be shooting for big power figures with it

What design laminova core caused surge tristan? Id like to see a diagram or pic of that. I would think it would have to be an awful core to actually cause suege. You would get enormous amounts of backpressure before you came into the surge point. Your turbos compressor would also have to really be pushing the limits of low rpms boost to do that as well. It sounds like a unique situation.

Thanks tristan, I went throught he thread and where exactly does it talk about comressor surge? I dont think there going to get much backpressure at all from mats cores.
g

So I have a dumb question. What is wrong with the cheap intercoolers and "universal" pipe kits on eBay? There are all sorts of IC's under $200 and pipe kits around $100.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand why they vary so greatly in price. Most guys here seem to be paying in the $1500+ range. It's not like we are running huge boost numbers, some of the new cars are way over 25 lbs.

Thanks!

Buying a cheap core and some pipe is analogous to paying $15 and having the barber hand you a pair of scissors. Either way you're still going to have to do a bunch of work yourself, learn some things the hard way, and eventually you'll have reinvented the wheel. :beer:

Adam, touche mon dieu! I guess better to pay 20$ and let the hair dresser do the cutting. Forging your own rims and vulcanizing your own rubber is a hard way to make a wheel that cools just as well as the intercooler cores on ebay, and piping is alot easier to learn than intercooler core design. Granted, ebay cores are not nearly as effecient as say a spearco core, but getting a larger core can often offset the difference by a great deal. And last time I checked, air to water intercoolers already boast great effeciency with low pressure drop across the core.... why focus on improving an already effecient core... focus on sheding the heat from the system because that is the weak link. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Most people are happy with the cheaper chinese gear. I build mine out of chinese components and am impressed (for what it is). But there is a big difference between cores and performance (in the wta range anyway). So it all depends on the amount of boost your wanting to run.

Not sure about roof racks. But most comp trucks here are converted to tray back and run the radiators on the tray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom