The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is everyone running for an oil catch can with an intercooler? Are the catch cans effective enough to still vent into the intake post air filter without coating the inside of the intercooler?

Venting to atmosphere is an option, not sure how bad the smell really is, Ive never tried.

The HPD looks nice, but I am having a hard time with the $350 price tag. Ill pony up if I have to.

Input?

I vent to atmosphere on mine. The smell doesn't come in the cabin too often, but it will also partially depend on the wind direction. Never have any smell while driving. Only occasionally when stopped.

Just picked up a second hand W/A intercooler today, it's looks to be the frozen boost type 10 intercooler with a 24" x 12" heat exchanger, 2 cheapo thermo fans and a Bosch water pump. Should end up very similar to Adam Bs setup in post 175.

I will look at getting a better pump and I'm thinking a reservoir tank somewhere in the system.

Ok so further to my last post above I have been looking at getting the most efficiency possible while planning out the routing for my system. I am thinking of having a 4L reservoir built that will sit on the passenger side fender but also.

But the big question of the day is as follows.

I'm looking at getting the most amount of radiators crammed into this thing as possible. I have as mentioned a 12x24" heat exchanger which I will mount up front but was looking at putting in a top mounted radiator with a thermo fan and scoop to drop some temp out of the water before it hits the main rad. This would be a small unit with a core size of 7x10.5". Can anyone see any negatives to this other than the added complexity?

I posted these in another thread, (from in the UK FB cruiser group) but they out to be here really too. I know next to nothing about it, except theyre custom made to order and not cheap, I have been trying to establish who/what/where/how much for about 3 months now lol. anyway, sexy huh.

13590266_10154489862178394_179913931885990343_n.jpg

13627199_10154489862248394_8054397163547952560_n.jpg

also in Red anodized.

13606859_10154489862043394_6441424149916201207_n.jpg

Im saving hard and hoping that by the time I find out if I can even have one, and how much, I may be able to afford it.

question about the intercooler set up.
Is that a connector pipe connecting airflow between the pre and post intercooler piping?
seems a bit counter productive.....

question about the intercooler set up.
Is that a connector pipe connecting airflow between the pre and post intercooler piping?
seems a bit counter productive.....

I wondered the same, but that makes zero sense. It's got to be a cross brace for structure/looks only.

I wondered the same, but that makes zero sense. It's got to be a cross brace for structure/looks only.

I assumed the same, just adds rigidity to the pipework. Nice touch with what looks like the factory turbo symbol welded in . It probably would convect a little heat from the hot side to the cold side though.

Is there any consensus on intercoolers? I'm running a Grunter Extreme @ 23Psi on my 1HD-T, don't do crazy mudding and more overland touring.

I was thinking the Safari is the best bet, any other suggestions? W2A seems like it could be risky, didn't the xxi system have some failures?

Is there any consensus on intercoolers? I'm running a Grunter Extreme @ 23Psi on my 1HD-T, don't do crazy mudding and more overland touring.

I was thinking the Safari is the best bet, any other suggestions? W2A seems like it could be risky, didn't the xxi system have some failures?
a2a would be fine for your application, got a mate with a FT and GX at 24 psi 21:1, 200rwhp, small top mount a2a with a scoop and he can tow his boat all day no drama

Hello guys,
was having a read through this trying to make up my mind in where I would like to go with the next step. I put a image of how the front end of my cruiser looks like and was wondering if I would actually benefit from a front mount seeing how cluttered it is.
Thoughts and opinions will be much appreciated!
Cheers

front end.jpg

Double Outlet Intercooler and Intake Mod. (work in progress)

Just finished an intercooler install and turbo upgrade on my 92 HDJ81V. Still a few things to do but at least it is driving. After researching thru the considerable amount of info on MUD and working with what I had at my disposal. I built the intercooler from a Mazdaspeed 6 unit I had. It has been dicussed about cylinders 1 and 6 not getting as much air because of the centre feed intake manifold so I decided to add a second inlet.
This also allowed a more efficient intercooler setup. Many intercooler designs do utilize the entire core as effectively as they could. The single entry into the cooler splits into dual exits allowing even distribution across the intercooler. I fabricated the inlet and outlets from flat sheet and purchased components trying to transition as smoothly as possible from turbo to intake.
Combined with a MAMBA TD05-18G with 11 blade GTX compressor and a 9 blade exhaust turbine. Have about 200 km on motor and so far things feel pretty good. Pump and injectors rebuilt buy Oakanagan Diesel. Freshened up motor...rings, valve job, porting, multi angle valve job. 3" exhaust. Airbox mods coming soon.

Here are a few pics

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

Well that's a new approach, nice work!

Double Outlet Intercooler and Intake Mod. (work in progress)

Just finished an intercooler install and turbo upgrade on my 92 HDJ81V. Still a few things to do but at least it is driving. After researching thru the considerable amount of info on MUD and working with what I had at my disposal. I built the intercooler from a Mazdaspeed 6 unit I had. It has been dicussed about cylinders 1 and 6 not getting as much air because of the centre feed intake manifold so I decided to add a second inlet.
This also allowed a more efficient intercooler setup. Many intercooler designs do utilize the entire core as effectively as they could. The single entry into the cooler splits into dual exits allowing even distribution across the intercooler. I fabricated the inlet and outlets from flat sheet and purchased components trying to transition as smoothly as possible from turbo to intake.
Combined with a MAMBA TD05-18G with 11 blade GTX compressor and a 9 blade exhaust turbine. Have about 200 km on motor and so far things feel pretty good. Pump and injectors rebuilt buy Oakanagan Diesel. Freshened up motor...rings, valve job, porting, multi angle valve job. 3" exhaust. Airbox mods coming soon.

That's a nice set up :) Do you have a splitter in your scoop to help air get to the front half of the intercooler as well? I don't know how the aerodynamics actually play out, but I know there are products for Subarus to help air pass over the front half of the intercooler. Necessary or helpful? I'm not sure...

One thing to think about is the climate you live in. Since changing to FMIC setup on my truck the coolant temperatures are lower which is good for most of the year since I live in the Vancouver, BC area, but I noticed this year during our "cold spells" the truck takes a long time to warm up and even on my ~25km drive up a few big hills the coolant temp barely gets up to full temperature on the drive and it will drop on downhill runs. On flat stretches with no stop and go or downhill the coolant temp will drop a bit (maybe 75 where normal I see is 80 C). So, obviously, when it drops your heat inside is less. Even at only -2C I drive to work with the heater on full temp with the fan on the 3rd setting and I'm not one who likes to be too warm. Just something to think about for those in colder climates.

One thing to think about is the climate you live in. Since changing to FMIC setup on my truck the coolant temperatures are lower which is good for most of the year since I live in the Vancouver, BC area, but I noticed this year during our "cold spells" the truck takes a long time to warm up and even on my ~25km drive up a few big hills the coolant temp barely gets up to full temperature on the drive and it will drop on downhill runs. On flat stretches with no stop and go or downhill the coolant temp will drop a bit (maybe 75 where normal I see is 80 C). So, obviously, when it drops your heat inside is less. Even at only -2C I drive to work with the heater on full temp with the fan on the 3rd setting and I'm not one who likes to be too warm. Just something to think about for those in colder climates.

I've been debating this exact thing recently. I would really like to intercool for the summer, and hauling my expedition trailer, when I easily approach threshold EGTs. But this winter which has been super mild for Northern Alberta has shown be incredibly forgiving EGTs, and significantly lower coolant temps, even with my factory rad blind down. Actually low enough (~75C, and as low as 72C at -30C ambient) that I hesitate to run UVO because I'm only seeing 65c fuel side out my heat exchanger.

Not sure that anyone in this discussion runs UVO or has experience with this, but is this going to be exacerbated by an intercooler? Fair weather intercooling options?

I saw on our road trip this summer where an IC would be very nice in the mountains, but at home on the prairies, and especially during the winter, an IC is currently unnecessary, and would certainly cause the truck to be slower to warm up to operating temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom