The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have a chat to Cross Country, they'll set you up with something that works. They're not the cheapest but the results speak for themselves...
600mm x 400mm x 76mm core with an 800 cfm SPAL underneath
View attachment 1197859

@AussieHJCruza

I am installing a cross country intercooler. Do you have any more pictures of your install? I would love to see the hose routing and the position of the frame work as mine was bent.

Thanks

@AussieHJCruza

I am installing a cross country intercooler. Do you have any more pictures of your install? I would love to see the hose routing and the position of the frame work as mine was bent.

Thanks
Gday @yotakrawler I'll grab some more when I get home tonight

Just thought I'd post some figures showing intercooler and turbo efficiency, flat road, 40 deg ambient air temp, so road temp probably over 50, egt is pre turbo, as you can see between the two images, figures vary slightly depending on gradient, but that's at highway speed on 35's, over 80 deg drop across the core, turbo is blowing a fair bit of pressure too

DSC_6426.jpg
DSC_6427.jpg

After completing a 1HDT swap into my 97 LX450, and taking it through some mountain passes in the interior BC, it is apparent I need to start looking at an intercooler. I've pretty much decided on a front mount. I keep hearing good things about the HPD kit, but at $2000 shipped to Canada, I am wondering if something like this would really be much different considering the price difference. Roughly half the price shipped (Seller quoted me $140AUD shipped to Canada). Same size core and piping as the HPD Stage 2 kit.

New *VM* Front Mount Intercooler Kit For Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 4.2L 1HDT

FYI, running Hybrid 7M turbo @ 14PSI max. I'm sure my tuning isn't perfect as I'm still trying to get a handle on that, but on long steep grades I was running as slow as 70km/h @ 1150f for long periods. Plenty of power left, but backing off due to EGTs. I found it difficult to maintain full boost to a point where I didn't have to really back off due to EGTs. (ie I would hit my max EGTs and back off, but then only hitting 6-8psi)

After completing a 1HDT swap into my 97 LX450, and taking it through some mountain passes in the interior BC, it is apparent I need to start looking at an intercooler. I've pretty much decided on a front mount. I keep hearing good things about the HPD kit, but at $2000 shipped to Canada, I am wondering if something like this would really be much different considering the price difference. Roughly half the price shipped (Seller quoted me $140AUD shipped to Canada). Same size core and piping as the HPD Stage 2 kit.

New *VM* Front Mount Intercooler Kit For Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 4.2L 1HDT

FYI, running Hybrid 7M turbo @ 14PSI max. I'm sure my tuning isn't perfect as I'm still trying to get a handle on that, but on long steep grades I was running as slow as 70km/h @ 1150f for long periods. Plenty of power left, but backing off due to EGTs. I found it difficult to maintain full boost to a point where I didn't have to really back off due to EGTs. (ie I would hit my max EGTs and back off, but then only hitting 6-8psi)

No input on intercoolers, but I'm doing some mountain driving with my 1HD-T right now as well. I have stock turbo running 15psi, and I've found that dropping to 3rd gear (A442F and 33's) helps me hold 100-110km/h with EGT's around 1150-1200F for extended periods. I'm not having the same issues with getting boost back up over 10psi after having to back off though.

No input on intercoolers, but I'm doing some mountain driving with my 1HD-T right now as well. I have stock turbo running 15psi, and I've found that dropping to 3rd gear (A442F and 33's) helps me hold 100-110km/h with EGT's around 1150-1200F for extended periods. I'm not having the same issues with getting boost back up over 10psi after having to back off though.

Thanks for the input. So you are not intercooled? Im running H151 on 315s so a little bit of an apples oranges comparison, but its definitely helpful.

I should also mention this is really only a problem once I really got into the mountain passes. I took HWY3 from Vancouver to the Kootenays, and then 97C from Kelowna to Merritt on the way back.

On Vancouver Island where I live, I have no issues with EGTs on our Malahat summit or driving around town (Rarely see over 1000f)

Do you have a trans temp gauge as well? I would notice a similar drop in EGT's, but an increase in trans temp when I dropped it out of TC lockup. I think an upgraded valvebody is a worthwhile upgrade for these trucks, especially as it allows for 3rd gear lockup.

Do you have a trans temp gauge as well? I would notice a similar drop in EGT's, but an increase in trans temp when I dropped it out of TC lockup. I think an upgraded valvebody is a worthwhile upgrade for these trucks, especially as it allows for 3rd gear lockup.

I do have a trans temp gauge as well, and it has been a complete non-issue for me. I'm pretty sure the A442F does have 3rd gear lockup stock, at just over 80km/h with O/D button off the revs drop a bit and the temp comes down on the gauge. It generally sits around 140F on the gauge at any speed over 80km/h, only once did I see it really climb, and only to about 180F.

You also have the electronic A442F, do you not?

Tweeek, I am not intercooled, and only discussing mountain pass type situations in my above post.

I think IanB is able to lockup in third IIRC because he has the electronic 442

I'm really digging this safari setup , I got into a local group but last year

I do have a trans temp gauge as well, and it has been a complete non-issue for me. I'm pretty sure the A442F does have 3rd gear lockup stock, at just over 80km/h with O/D button off the revs drop a bit and the temp comes down on the gauge. It generally sits around 140F on the gauge at any speed over 80km/h, only once did I see it really climb, and only to about 180F.

You also have the electronic A442F, do you not?

Tweeek, I am not intercooled, and only discussing mountain pass type situations in my above post.
Mine is the fully hydraulic unit and it doesn't lockup in 3rd. I need an upgraded VB to get that function. Lockup makes a huge difference in trans temps so it's really nice you can get that in 3rd.

I think IanB is able to lockup in third IIRC because he has the electronic 442

I'm really digging this safari setup , I got into a local group but last year

Have you run it up the Coquihalla with Foreals turbo setup and your Safari? Curious your temps and speed if you have.

Have you run it up the Coquihalla with Foreals turbo setup and your Safari? Curious your temps and speed if you have.

I'll be doing that run early next week, I'll be sure to report back. I'll have the power rod mod/pump tuning at that point though.

Have not done the coke yet, I'm not going to drive two hours to test it. It has nice pull up some hills around here at 90k before I run out of room and speed lol

Has anyone installed a HDJ 100 1hd-fte intercooler and pipes on hdj 80 ?
How about tubes from cooler to the engine room ? Has anyone tried ?

What do you guys think of this design? 600x300x75 core. I want a cooler that has entry and exit on the same side to do a similar setup to safari. It's second hand, $160 delivered.
image.png

The end tank looks way too small to my mind.
Air has to do a 180 degree U turn in that tank, it's too tight for good air flow IMHO. Look at the volume of tanks at entry and exit where air only has to deviate a little to get into the core vs the tight end tank where air does a 180 turn.

I reckon I know who cut and shut that, pretty sure it's a backyard job.

Also, I think the double pass design leaves you with an unnecessarily small and restrictive cross section, and twice the resistance/friction as air passes through it twice.

The end tank looks way too small to my mind.
Air has to do a 180 degree U turn in that tank, it's too tight for good air flow IMHO. Look at the volume of tanks at entry and exit where air only has to deviate a little to get into the core vs the tight end tank where air does a 180 turn.

I reckon I know who cut and shut that, pretty sure it's a backyard job.

Also, I think the double pass design leaves you with an unnecessarily small and restrictive cross section, and twice the resistance/friction as air passes through it twice.

I was having a closer look at it last night after I posted and noticed the same thing, they have just chopped and flipped the outlet. And I also thought that the end tank looked too restrictive. I'll just have to maintain my patience and continue to trawl eBay and gumtree. I've missed out on a $500 safari unit already.

In the final stages of install of my 1HD-FT with the Safari kit.

Had to modify the adapter plate as Safari use the same crossover pipe as the 1HD-T. The plate would be fine if I deleted the glow screen, but I wanted that to work, thus had to have it machined into a wedge.

full

Here is a shot of the overall motor, with the kit installed.

full

Will have some on road info to share in a few weeks after the rig is back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom