Builds Tortuga Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somewhere along the way, I was left with the impression that Toyotas were dependable, reliable. As I started noticing cars and trucks I was definitely inclined toward the Toyota persuasion.
I went to work for a small NGO; and the bosses son had left his ’92 pick-up, which we used as a bit of a farm truck. The thing had a bit of a lift, some tires, a roll bar (and it had definitely been rolled, x2!!), and lights on it. The thing was just unkillable.
I was in love. I would spend hours looking at Toyota adds on Kijiji, and used cars dealers. Sadly, their uncanny ability to also retain their value put them out of my price range.
Working at the NGO (which was an environmental education agency), I learned about bio-diesel and SVO as a fuel option. Now I want a Toyota diesel! Do I swap a diesel engine into a Tacoma or Tundra? Can I fly to Mexico and sneak a diesel through the states and into Canada?
Until I finally stumble across the Legendary Land Cruiser. Of course I’ve heard of them, but to learn that they are one of the longest running lines of any car on the planet, that they are used the world round, for exploration to the poles, by mining companies, by Nato, by rebel armies, this was the clincher.
And that in Canada we allow 15 year old diesels to roam these great wilds.
Which means that 80s sweet spot between the older robustly simple power plants, and modern luxury.

Welcome Home

The addiction only really started one day out of sheer boredom. I was(am) working in the oil patch of northern Alberta (so more than a little disposable income on hand), to pay off my student loans. But lease can get pretty boring, so again I was window shopping on Kijiji, my intention was to not buy anything. Until I saw a Land Cruiser for sale just across the boarder in BC. It was a 1991, a diesel, a RHD, 190k on the clock and it was only $8000!! I immediately started pursuing it. I drove the six-hour round trip to look at it once; it was in amazing shape, not immaculate, but no rust, no blue smoke; a second time to test drive it, sitting on the other side wasn’t really a challenge, in fact I felt right at home; and the third to buy it, I haggled them down about $1000.
So There I am, proud new owner of an HDJ81 Toyota Land Cruiser. I wasn’t fully cognizant of it, but, not only had I bought my dream vehicle, it had happened with amazing fluidity, luck and ease.

2012-08-21 19.34.31-1.jpg

2012-08-21 19.34.17.jpg

Last edited:
A passing grade

Here is a disclosure: Before this vehicle I had never done so much as changed the oil on any of my other trucks. I still haven’t done anything so drastic as rebuild my 1hd-t, but I have changed the B.E.B.s, installed a Webasto, changed my alternator.

There was the small matter of getting it into Alberta.

All of these things caused it to fail it's out of province inspection the first time
-12/24V solenoid was shot; stuck in 24v position (PO had some gerry-rigged extension cords coming out the grill that allowed the batteries to be connected in parallel, unplugged for starting, plugged in once running to charge both batteries).
-Windshield was pretty cracked
-Headlight washers (I couldn't believe this failed it. How many vehicles do they allow on the road without these?!) I just removed the squirters.
-AC belt/compressor (compressor was piled up, actually failed because I had the belt removed to avoid the squealing, put the belt back on and it passed).
-Tail pipe (would have been a good time for a 3”, but no go)
-Rear Curb/driver’s/righthand side window wouldn't roll down.

Last edited:
Others
It came with a pitiful damage multiplier, this was barely connected to the stock bumper. It was one of the first things to go.
Also the bad-ass but poorly designed roof rack, I didn't know how badly it was designed until I tried to actually use it.

And as you can see from the picture the paint was peeling pretty horrendously.
Asking around Grande Prairie for some paint jobs yielded prices that approached the cost of buying the cruiser. So that was definitely not happening.

2013-03-16 23.34.25.jpg

Here is a list of the base-lining and mods that I've done

fixed AC
Replaced 12/24V solenoid (x2)
Fixed headlight washers
combination switch
Replaced timing belt
M101A2 US military utility trailer (this needs a whole build of its own one of these days)
Power antenna
Monsoon Window guards
Wired 4 pin trailer harness (my father did this)
Rearranged some dash switches, bought extras for a couple different applications (still pending)
35 inch tires; MT open country Toyos (x5)*
2.5 inch; OME suspension* heavy duty front, extra heavy duty rear.
flushed coolant
installed block heater
installed webasto
installed GSMauto cellular remote
Did B.E.B.s (at 200,000 and 330,000)
rebuilt birfields*
cruise control*
ACSD removed* wasn't removed
vinyl wrap*
sliding 3rd row windows*
XD9000i warn winch
Cruisin off road front bumper*
ARB Safari Snorkel
Battery Tender
140 Amp High Output Tercel Alternator, new belts
Pin7 Mod
Cruisin Off Road rear bumper with Spare tire swing out and 80L slip tank swing out*

*work done by someone else

Last edited:
The stock tires just looked so meek.
Putting the 35"s on the powder coated rims helped look so much meaner.
But I couldn't even get my hand between the tire and the fender.
The OME lift gave me a little extra room.

2013-03-18 18.11.42.jpg

IMG_20130425_190857.jpg

IMG_20130425_190905.jpg

Wicked brutal winters

Thankfully La Tortuga has the winter package; Radiator blind, heated fuel filter, dual batteries for 24v starter; and PO put an oil pan heater pad and battery blankets. But after that first winter of -36, I just couldn't put her through another winter like that.

I put a blockheater in for good measure when I flushed the coolant.

But the real powerhouse is the TSL17
A friend from work had been collecting broken webastos, so I frankenstiened a working one together.
Then I added a GSMauto cellular remote, so that I can pre-heat my engine and cab from a couple hours out when I'm on my way back to town after 2 weeks at work.
Even repurposed my sport suspension switch with some stickers for a hardwired switch, but I still haven't wired it in.

And more recently replaced the battery blankets with a battery tender to help with the drain 2 weeks of the remote followed by a couple hours of webasto put on the batteries. (An aux battery for this system will be in the works for next winter).

IMG_20130430_155559.jpg

IMG_20130503_105026.jpg

IMG_20140125_134637.jpg

putting on a new suit

I really wanted to clean up her looks, especially for my trip back home.
Perusing the forum, I found a fellow Mudder who could vinyl wrap the rig for me.
While not paint, it is a super affordable upgrade that brings the appearance back up to show room quality.

IMG_20130809_121446.jpg

IMG_20130819_131037.jpg

Across Canada and Back

La Tortuga isn't the fastest rig out there, but she hauled my M101A2 trailer 12,000km from Grande Prairie, Alberta to Halifax, Nova Scotia and back.
My 12/24v solenoid s*** the bed again; this time it would overheat and stick in the 12v position, so even thou the batteries were charged, if I shut if off it wouldn't start for 45mins-1hr. So there was some 150 hours of driving where I didn't shut her off.
Did some road side refueling. Only once got in trouble for not shutting it off at a pump.
But she hauled like a champ. Fuel mileage wasn't really so different with the westward load, which is also up-hill overall.

With the loaded roof rack I found it's poor design. It would slide around, which messed up the vinyl wrap a bit. And when I tried to sinch it down tighter, it dented my roof because the support feet sit right on the roof.

IMG_20130810_144003.jpg

IMG_20130811_124751.jpg

IMG_20130828_181426.jpg

Last edited:
Meaner and meaner

After another fit of oil patch boredom I found a 9k winch for sale on Kijiji. :hmm:
This necessitated a new front bumper of course. :grinpimp:
Thanks Jason at Cruisin' Offroad!

Also lucky enough to pick up a yakima roof rack system, Jason had laying around. I can use it to get my old basket back on the truck for that wicked expo look.

IMG_20131030_141716.jpg

IMG_20140103_120954.jpg

Last edited:
Build to Date

So, that pretty much brings us up to date with the build so far.

I have some big plans left for La Tortuga.

I also have a pretty much complete kit from Plantdrive and the MAF 24 gallon aux tank to do a veggie oil conversion. I’ve collected at least 600L of the golden oil so far. The only thing I’m missing is a shop and the time to do the conversion in.

Other plans include Cruisin’ Offroad rear bumper.
CB/VHF/ham radio
in-dash ipad mini. as per soundman.
H151F swap
Front and rear lockers
And Many many expeditions.

window felts
thermostat
window tints
fluid coupling
Qi charger for centre console lid or somewhere
third aux battery (for webasto/cellular remote/heater fan)

Inverter

Last edited:
Nice build. Good option with the vinyl wrap!

Incidentally, I named my 80 Tortuga also, haha! The :princess: doesn't think it fits though so we'll see if it sticks.

Thanks! Nothing so special about my build yet. I think I got all the standard mods that everyone else has.

The vinyl wrap has held up really well! And I've abused it more than a little.

I named it Tortuga because it was so slow and it has the bed/drawer system in the back, so it is like it carries its(my) home on its back :)

2012-08-22 08.59.26.jpg

Last edited:
Nice turtle, I have one too! I built my veggie conversion from some plant drive parts, and a bunch of home brew stuff. Once you get on the veggie, you will love it!

Take the extra time, and make sure your oil is dry, do hot pan tests. I eventually moved to a centrifuge for cleaning, and it makes life so much easier! Check out my thread in my signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom