The Moonshine Motel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the good fortune to visit Johnny Sunday, and this trailer is the real deal. Pictures do not capture the size! Going to be an awesome project and I'm eagerly following along.

My current plan is to reskin the sides, then replace the roof caulking, then apply this stuff over the top as an added layer of protection.
It is likely cost-prohibitive, but have you considered having it vinyl wrapped?

It is likely cost-prohibitive, but have you considered having it vinyl wrapped?
Yes!! Haven't looked into prices yet, but from what Joe was telling me, it's a couple grand at least.

The torn skins and places where I'm removing doors need replacement skins for sure, but I would like to vinyl wrap it for more protection in the end.

Have spent a few nights this week in the shop making parts to relocate the jack shaft. It's fun and challenging to do bearing fits! The sprockets will be welded to their respective hubs and the axles pressed onto the old jack shaft. The jack shaft assembly will be mounted above, then chain strung between the jacks and jack shaft, giving me the room to build out the generator compartment.

PXL_20210219_010122588.jpg
PXL_20210219_012051722.jpg
PXL_20210217_233943453.jpg

Yes!! Haven't looked into prices yet, but from what Joe was telling me, it's a couple grand at least.

The torn skins and places where I'm removing doors need replacement skins for sure, but I would like to vinyl wrap it for more protection in the end.
You could wrap it yourself if you have the patience for it.. I haven't done full car, but have used PPF to wrap sections and things like that and is stupid easy. Just gotta take time, and a trailer being flat would be even easier except for the amount of space that requires it.

Relocated jackshaft system is finished. Very happy with how it came out. Onto mounting the generator.

1614350220446.png

1614350238609.png

Genny mounting plate blasted out yesterday. Designed off the original onan installation manual schematic, so it better be bang on :p

PXL_20210227_233641337.jpg

Generator mount support and plate are finish welded and painted. Came out tits. Generator, fuel tank, and 12v battery will all fit in this compartment no problem, and everything clears the chain system beautifully.

All brackets are 1/4" plate, added support is 2.5x2.5" 1/4" wall tube. Should be plenty stout.

PXL_20210228_221428751.jpg
PXL_20210228_221438723.jpg
PXL_20210228_221442730.MP.jpg
PXL_20210228_211332916.MP.jpg
PXL_20210228_211355962.jpg

Bonus footage; cutting out the brackets on the plasma table.

Plasma envy! That cup works nice, right?!?

You know it's here if you ever want anything cut.

You talking about the funnel? Yeah, that thing is awesome. Reduces splashing by a ton, and shades the light so you don't have to wear goggles the whole time it's running.

Genny compartment is about fleshed out. In the process of picking out floor tie downs for the truck.

Battery tray and fuel tank mount were cut out on the plasma table, came out pretty neat I think.

PXL_20210305_001222806.jpg
PXL_20210305_001229175.jpg

you going to plumb up a quick connect so you can transfer diesel from the truck tank

you going to plumb up a quick connect so you can transfer diesel from the truck tank
Thought about it, but I don't think so. The fill neck will come out to the outside of the trailer, so if I need to, I can get in and siphon fuel in/out. I have a drill powered transfer pump that's pretty fast.

Pulled up the floor today. It seems all the extra doors leak, meaning the floor was pretty rotten at the edges.

Have only found surface rust which is awesome. I think next I'm going to focus on reskinning the trailer, so that I won't have any more leaks, then switch back to the inside.

PXL_20210307_211852019.jpg
PXL_20210307_211917499.MP.jpg
PXL_20210307_211924638.MP.jpg

Ordered 20 49"x96"x.030" aluminum sheets the other day to reskin the whole trailer. Ended up at $80 a sheet shipped, which is the lowest price I could find by a long shot. Still need to source the metal studs.

Fuel tank parts finally came in, meaning I could finish up the genny fuel system. Need to tweak the exhaust, get that buttoned up, then the genny is finished.

1615480995812.png

1615481019301.png

1615481037604.png

Man, that's a lot of $$ for reskinning. I hope you weren't caught off guard this trailer would need this amount of work. Fun project for sure, but I know how costs can seem to spin out of control based on initial expectations and budget. Generator solution there is bomb diggity :grinpimp:

Man, that's a lot of $$ for reskinning. I hope you weren't caught off guard this trailer would need this amount of work. Fun project for sure, but I know how costs can seem to spin out of control based on initial expectations and budget. Generator solution there is bomb diggity :grinpimp:

It was part of the plan from the beginning. It was 8k for this trailer (with bonus $$$ generator), or ~14-20k for a comparable "turn-key" trailer with no genny.

Also, it's still covid time, so I needed something to do around here till camping weather came :p

Ordered 20 49"x96"x.030" aluminum sheets the other day to reskin the whole trailer. Ended up at $80 a sheet shipped, which is the lowest price I could find by a long shot. Still need to source the metal studs.

Is the plan to paint the exterior? If so, curious about surface prep for the aluminum sheets. Phenomenal work, enjoying seeing the progress!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom