Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you scroll to the digital readout on your DD gauges to notice the difference between the analog and digital gauge? And the difference between the DD digital gauge and scangauge?
I did not do that. I have not invested enough time in learning all the features of DD gauge yet to know how to find that info. I will figure it out eventually.

I did not do that. I have not invested enough time in learning all the features of DD gauge yet to know how to find that info. I will figure it out eventually.
The water temp is one of the preset screens. Just click the 1 or 2 button a couple times to cycle through them and you'll see it.

In another thread we were discussing the operating temperature of the 2UZ and I had previously posted my temperature seemed to hover right under 220 degrees. I was estimating this based off my interpretation of where the analog needle was pointing on the DD gauge which does not provide a precise measurement as the gap range is between 180 and 220 with no hash marks in between. @UZJ40 mentioned he found the DD gauge may read a little high, so I bought a scan gauge to get an accurate read on my operating temp.

I took it out for a 40 minute drive and found it operated between 194 and 204 degrees after it was warmed up. In normal driving conditions (55 mph and managing the throttle at that speed over rolling terrain) the temp. ranged between 198 and 202 most of the time.

@2fpower I didn’t want to derail your thread since you were past this topic but wanted to loop you in, since we are using the same size radiator.

Good info... Just test mounted my 8274 winch and since the 80 frame drops down in the front, it will sit much lower than the standard 40 series, thus giving more airflow into the radiator... fingers crossed.

There isn’t much room for gear in a 45, so I am working on a rack that that I can remove when I don’t have a camping trip planned. I bought a small universal kit built for a Tacoma and modified it. I got it tacked together.
IMG_9205.jpeg

IMG_9207.jpeg

It looks tall but I have plans for the space underneath.

There isn’t much room for gear in a 45, so I am working on a rack that that I can remove when I don’t have a camping trip planned. I bought a small universal kit built for a Tacoma and modified it. I got it tacked together.
View attachment 3578871
View attachment 3578873
It looks tall but I have plans for the space underneath.
That looks great. Fits the lines somehow.
Curved and boxy at the same time.

Any reason not to go as high as the other bar? Maybe throw a canoe on it or something. I like the design.

Any reason not to go as high as the other bar? Maybe throw a canoe on it or something. I like the design.
My thought behind this rack was to use it primarily for camping where I might add a basket or large storage boxes or maybe a RTT if I find a small version that could fit. I intentionally made it lower to try and keep the added weight lower.

I could add a higher loop to it I suppose if I wanted to haul something long like a canoe or kayak. This just wasn’t something I considered when I built it.

My thought behind this rack was to use it primarily for camping where I might add a basket or large storage boxes or maybe a RTT if I find a small version that could fit. I intentionally made it lower to try and keep the added weight lower.

I could add a higher loop to it I suppose if I wanted to haul something long like a canoe or kayak. This just wasn’t something I considered when I built it.
Just put the canoe on top of the RTT? This thing looks so sweet and it makes me want to start another project, an FJ28 wagon patina steel blue/gray on an FJ80 chassis.

makes me want to start another project, an FJ28 wagon patina steel blue/gray on an FJ80 chassis

I would follow that build thread! I don’t know where you get an FJ28 from though.

I been making more adjustments to get ready for the summer fun.

I have known for a while that the shocks needed to be rebuilt, I bought them used with supposedly 10k on them. That must have been a tough 10k as they were tired, so I shipped them off to Radflo for a rebuild. I also ordered another set of springs for the rear to keep it level with the front without spacers. Hopefully they don’t affect the ride too much.

I decided to tackle the exterior holes in the bed that a PO added to run bolts through for whatever they needed. I opted to just weld them up. They’re shinny spots now that I will try blend into the existing patina.

IMG_9230.jpeg

IMG_9231.jpeg

Dang.... A really tough 10k if they needed rebuilt. That's pretty low miles.

I need to send my Radflos in. You’ll have to let us know how that goes.

I didn’t intend to disparage Radflo, so I should explain more.

I bought the shocks from another member who said they had about 10k miles on them. When they shipped me the shocks they did a lousy job of packaging them which resulted in the reservoir tube fitting getting broken in shipment. I sent that one shock in to Radflo right after I received it to have it repaired which they had to disassemble to make the repair. They said the seals inside were all damaged, so they did a full rebuild on it. They said the damage inside likely occurred from running the shocks without the proper bump stop and or limit straps on the vehicle.

By the time I installed all the shocks on my project during the build phase one of them was dead, no rebound or resistance and the other was leaking fluid at the top.

I expect the PO ran these without bump stops or limit straps and maybe more than 10k miles. This is why I had to send them in for rebuild. I expect the other three shocks will have similar seal damage as the first one I sent in.

I don’t see these issues as problem with Radflo’s product but rather an example of what happens when you abuse your stuff.

This is also why I added limit straps to the 45 and made sure the bump stops are extended properly for my setup.

Last edited:
I have been working on organizing the bed with additional mounts and such to secure gear for camping. Not ready to show the progress yet but soon.

Inside the cab until now I didn’t have any accessory charging ports. I didn’t want to clutter the dash with such things, so had to look elsewhere. After some internet searching I found a mount made by Rago Fabrication. It is designed to to fit a Blue Sea accessory panel. It looked right, so I took a chance and ordered it. It fit the front of my console perfectly outside of having to drill holes to mount it.

IMG_9274.jpeg

I now have a cigarette port and two usb ports and should I need more I could ditch the voltage monitor and add what I need. I am just waiting on a fuse panel to go live.

I’m also looking to add a vhf/rhf radio and am just about to order this:

Anyone have any experience with this particular radio? I have been viewing YouTube videos and talked to club members about it. Seems like a reasonable unit.

Last edited:
I got the shocks back from Radflo, they suggested replacing the main shafts due to chips in the surface that could cause premature failure, so I did. They also suggest adding the boots to protect the shaft, so I did for the front and rear. The rest was pretty standard.

IMG_9278.jpeg

While the shocks were gone I had been playing with different springs and spacers to correct some cruiser lean. 80 springs all have one side that is taller than the other and my gas tank is center rather than offset to the driver. So I thought I had this all sorted out but after adding the shocks the truck gained another 5/8 of lift. Should I expect this to drop after I have some miles on the shocks?

I was waiting for good weather to paint to sliders, so I could get them installed.

I opted for a two tone job, so they were painted Pewter on the outside to match the bumpers and I painted the legs black.
IMG_9287.jpeg

Installed

IMG_9294.jpeg

IMG_9295.jpeg

I really need to pull the roll bar to paint it pewter as well to complete the color scheme. Maybe this summer.

Last edited:
How about that, I was in town picking up materials and getting a hair cut. I needed a test run to see if the new springs and rebuilt shocks would settle some. Crazy wind really hurt the gas tank.

The wind was blowing so hard on the way home it was catching and lifting the hood up until the latch springs bottomed out. I as a little worried the latches were going to pop of and the hood would fly up. I have been considering adding a late model 40 hood catch. I think I will now if I can find one reasonably priced. If anyone has one for sale let me know.

Last edited:
How about that, I was in town picking up materials and getting a hair cut. I needed a test run to see if the new springs and rebuilt shocks would settle some. Crazy wind really hurt the gas tank.

The wind was blowing so hard on the way home it was catching and lift the hood up until the latch springs bottomed out. I as a little worried the latches were going to pop of and the hood would fly up. I have been considering adding a late model 40 hood catch. I think I will now if I can find one reasonably priced. If anyone has one for sale let me know.
Here in Taos I didn't even go outside yesterday the wind was so bad. We can always use the moisture but the wind was a bitch, 5''s of snow though.

Here in Taos I didn't even go outside yesterday the wind was so bad. We can always use the moisture but the wind was a bitch, 5''s of snow though.

We had about 5 inches snow here in the Jemez as well. The wind was no fun. It tested all the panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom