79 fj45 headlights help please (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there I am trying to get this fj45 on the road but currently I have no headlights, all the other lights front and rear work however. The dash light works sometimes when the headlight lever is pulled. The headlights are leds.

Also This is wired close to the right headlight no clue what it is, does anybody know and could this be causing issues?

699BAEFB-8C74-4BB4-8EF0-44FFB4C2653E.jpeg
3E7D66BB-CF50-40A7-AAEB-0B7F6AE55CC3.jpeg
E756EEE7-4274-4C96-8667-E3BC83C3BD2B.jpeg

1 more thing, on the right side of the car the indicators are both flashing the reverse and park lights instead of the blinkers

Thank you

Hey there I am trying to get this fj45 on the road but currently I have no headlights, all the other lights front and rear work however. The dash light works sometimes when the headlight lever is pulled. The headlights are leds.

Also This is wired close to the right headlight no clue what it is, does anybody know and could this be causing issues?

View attachment 3525146View attachment 3525148View attachment 3525150
1 more thing, on the right side of the car the indicators are both flashing the reverse and park lights instead of the blinkers

Thank you
That last photo is the headlight connection

The thing in your hand in the picture is a horn. It is not part of the headlamp system . It should not be affecting them at all. If the park and reverse lights are flashing instead of the signals you may have them wired incorrectly? Sometimes LED's will not work if you have the positive and the ground reversed. Do you have a wiring diagram ?

The thing in your hand in the picture is a horn. It is not part of the headlamp system . It should not be affecting them at all. If the park and reverse lights are flashing instead of the signals you may have them wired incorrectly? Sometimes LED's will not work if you have the positive and the ground reversed. Do you have a wiring diagram ?
Thanks for your reply, firstly with the indicators I did swap the connections around at the front and the wrong light still blinks but I’m not too worried about this more the headlights

I plugged one of the old bulb headlights in and still nothing

Thanks for identifying the horn though

Check the fuse. It's not uncommon for dirt between the fuse and the holder. Slide the fuse back and forth in the holder or actually clean the fuse holders. Be sure to disconnect the batt. Usually when lights start acting weird it's a ground issue.

Check the fuse. It's not uncommon for dirt between the fuse and the holder. Slide the fuse back and forth in the holder or actually clean the fuse holders. Be sure to disconnect the batt. Usually when lights start acting weird it's a ground issue.
I did notice a bit of corrosion on one of them when changing the fuses gave it a rub with sand paper but I will do a better job of it and do the lot of them. Thanks for your time

Also looking back I couldn’t replace one fuse because I didn’t have one, the small one could you identify what that might be for? I don’t have the fuse box cover and there are so many different fuse boxes out there

431A047F-AC4D-4F5F-A1DC-EBAAC5A8DA02.jpeg

I have no clue. My US fj40 fuse box is different. If cleaning the fuse box doesnt work, you'll probably need a test light or multimeter.

In my truck (4/80 us market) the small fuse is for the radio.

Here is a pic of the fuse box cover so you might know what you’re looking at.

IMG_0595.jpeg

Your tail lights are probably all lighting up with the turn signal but not at full brightness; this is usually caused by a bad ground at that tail light.

If the dash lights aren't coming on reliably with the headlight switch, then you probably have corrosion in the switch itself - disassemble and clean it.

If you don't have a multimeter yet then buy one - you're going to need it, and they're really cheap.

I have no clue. My US fj40 fuse box is different. If cleaning the fuse box doesnt work, you'll probably need a test light or multimeter.
Your tail lights are probably all lighting up with the turn signal but not at full brightness; this is usually caused by a bad ground at that tail light.

If the dash lights aren't coming on reliably with the headlight switch, then you probably have corrosion in the switch itself - disassemble and clean it.

If you don't have a multimeter yet then buy one - you're going to need it, and they're really cheap.
Thanks for your reply I tightened a ground which got me front blinkers, I will go about removing that switch. I do have a multimeter I am not getting any power to the headlight plug when switch is pulled

Do you have a wiring diagram?

The headlight fuse should feed both the headlight pull switch, and the column dip switch.

If you pull the column lever to flash the headlights, that should bypass the headlight switch, and light up the high beam.

If that doesn't happen, then it's more likely your column switch - assuming that you have a good 12v feed to both.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

The headlight fuse should feed both the headlight pull switch, and the column dip switch.

If you pull the column lever to flash the headlights, that should bypass the headlight switch, and light up the high beam.

If that doesn't happen, then it's more likely your column switch - assuming that you have a good 12v feed to both.
Yo late reply but my headlights do work with the collum switch so is the issue the switch you think? "thanks

Yo late reply but my headlights do work with the collum switch so is the issue the switch you think? "thanks
Yes it sounds like your headlight pull switch needs a clean out - maybe a bad contact at the connector or corroded inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom