Tassie Devil FJ45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G’day from Tasmania, Australia

Thought I would join and share some pics of my 1/1975 FJ45 seeing as every Google search I do brings me to the forum! What an amazing amount of knowledge here.

I’ve been trying to make a deal on this truck since 2019 when I stumbled across the 87yo owner in my local town. He lives back in the forest and only takes the Toyota to the local tip (dump) a few times a year. He owned it since new and kept it well maintained, only travelling 130,000km in its life.

Bobs health was beginning to deteriorate so I kept in contact and helped him stock up on firewood and a few other odd jobs. There was a long list of people who wanted to buy the FJ but he chose me as the next owner!

The styleside/tub tray is very rare in Australia but seems common in the USA? This really sets the truck apart and turns heads everywhere it goes.

Im looking forward to joining in the discussions and learning as much as possible regarding my new addition to the fleet!

How it spent most of its life, in a shed filled with garbage

D2A8BA50-B9CA-4D9B-90F4-C81B75AF35FE.jpeg

3C760BCC-0A54-4384-84C2-3E458AF3A2C2.jpeg

Once it was home I removed the farm spec bullbar and painted the bezel
72C5516F-3A26-4F11-9804-06CA7F1E4AD6.jpeg

F3E7A116-D499-4FAF-B5E4-DEDB5A47822B.jpeg

274027CF-E959-4385-AF1A-6AA2CEB44FF3.jpeg

Cheers!

Very nice original truck. Besides being a rare Ute in Australia it's one of the six months Toyota used the new one piece doors ahead of 1/75 for every 40 series. Windshield wipers on top and simi floating rear axle would make it a FJ45P-B not a FJ45RP correct? I also see the right tail lights only used 4/74-1/75. That is a rare part and would protect it. Is there a lens on the bottom to light the license plate? Could you post a picture?

In the US were only had complete trucks with a bed. No trayback option. Toyota only imported the long bed from mid 1964 to late 1967. I didn't realize Toyota had the two extra brackets that late on the rack behind the cab. The ones I've seen on later imported trucks from other markets do not have those tabs anymore.

I also see the right tail lights only used 4/74-1/75. That is a rare part and would protect it. Is there a lens on the bottom to light the license plate? Could you post a picture?
Thanks for the response mate. I did not realise the tail lights were rare or different? Can you explain why they are?
IMG_8055.jpg

I also took some pics of the number plate lights and bracket. Let me know if you would like some more detail

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

Your taillights are fairly standard, I can’t speak to the license plate lights though.

Welcome mate to Mud/mad, your new home! :flipoff2:

Your Cruiser is like her previous owner, the 87 year old gentleman: a veteran that deserves respect!
It seems that he have chosen the right knight to give the ring!
Enjoy the journey and keep posting!

Cheers, Demetrios!
PS. Your puppies are sweet too!

Last edited:
Congratulations on such a great find and opportunity. Great looking rig you’ve brought home there.

Welcome.
Congratulations on the truck, rare in the US for sure.

The fact that the owner chose you to be the new care taker of that beauty is something money can't buy.
We look forward to more pics!

Thanks for the response mate. I did not realise the tail lights were rare or different? Can you explain why they are?
View attachment 3426757

I also took some pics of the number plate lights and bracket. Let me know if you would like some more detail

View attachment 3426758
View attachment 3426759

False alarm your license plate holder has it's own lights. For some reason I see Australia having it's own tail lights 4/74-1/75. But mostly likely later ones can be used with some plug wiring. Thought it possibly had a special light with a lens on the bottom that lit the license plate. The lights on the license plate holder are used on about everything 40 series from 1974 on.

Aaaah she's a beaut!
Handing down the batten, no small responsibility, congrats Mate!
Welcome to Mud:flipoff2:

Welcome aboard!

Bobs health is deteriorating and his daughter has been sending me anything Toyota related during the house cleanup. He was once a martial artist, military police officer, private investigator, toolmaker and gun dealer. He kept meticulous records and journals and as a result I have the full mechanical history of the car, along with photos, service manuals and many other cool things. I’m loving it!

87B3106F-BEB2-4BDA-A323-1E768D35D6AE.jpeg

048B8DDC-0971-42D1-B1EC-B7A1471D947F.jpeg

F379C6FB-5E6E-4D93-A88F-7C518E2064C7.jpeg

56214058-653F-4F5F-BB33-E9C829ABA9F0.jpeg

4E256A99-4546-4EF9-BAD7-271D0ACC7C8E.jpeg

“Vinyl Top”, that’s interesting. I didn’t know that was ever an option.

Toyota switched from canvas to vinyl in the mid sixties. Even before that Toyota was offering a aftermarket vinyl soft top thru their US dealers. Original it was a Husky top. Later was a Kayline. Both were made in Colorado. Soft top models with hard doors was more common in other markets than soft door. That goes back to the start of the FJ40. Those usually had the two piece ambulance doors. Hard on the bottom with a removable top section. Unfortunately those were never offered in the US.

I have spent the last couple of weekends giving the FJ a real good tidy up in preparation for our local Agricultural show that I suppose you would call a County Fair in the US? I painted the wheels, added some hubcaps, made a front bumper and fitted one of my PTO winches. It took out 1st prize in the Vintage class which was awesome! I had lots of people come and ask me about the truck and even though it’s been in the local district since 2000, no one had seen it before.

69D96C40-8391-4110-BB58-0B1871BEF106.jpeg

A7672BE4-1886-4EA6-A743-ED68F2D9FA14.jpeg

No surprise she took first place. Finding one not restored or modified in that condition is rare. Were you able to get the winch hooked up or just mounted on the bumper? What did you do for clips to add the hubcaps? Were the hub caps hard to locate? US market always hub caps back to the FJ25. The later style hubcaps are still readily available here and cheap. Toyota in the US makes hard buying parts not offered in our market even if they are still available new.

No surprise she took first place. Finding one not restored or modified in that condition is rare. Were you able to get the winch hooked up or just mounted on the bumper? What did you do for clips to add the hubcaps? Were the hub caps hard to locate? US market always hub caps back to the FJ25. The later style hubcaps are still readily available here and cheap. Toyota in the US makes hard buying parts not offered in our market even if they are still available new.
I just mounted the winch up temporarily to give me the look I was after. I also got creative with the paint as an all black winch doesn’t really stand out much so I gave a few parts a lick of gold and rubbed them back to look like brass.

The hubcaps came from Cruiser Outfitters and arrived at my door in about a month from the date of purchase. Even after taking into account postage and the poor Australian dollar against the US, I got them for a great price.

My rims already had the hubcap clips but had never had a cap fitted.

DDBDE9E9-9FD8-4AE7-99EC-9BA804821442.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom