Builds "The Milk Truck" FJ45 Preservation Sorta (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am waiting on the 3/8 winch plate to finish the bumper, so I started working on the fan shroud.

I have convinced my self that using a mechanical fan would be better than an electric fan if I can make it fit. The 2uz 100 series fan was originally 20.5 inches I believe. It wouldn’t fit, so I went looking for something smaller at the scrap yard.

I found that the Isuzu trooper and rodeo used an Aisin Fan clutch that measured the same and the fan blades had the correct orientation. I bought one from each. The depth was different, and they both measured 18.5-19 inches. I found both of them hit the oil filter mount because the depth was different. The cut down 2uz fan is pictured at the bottom.
C4D2F098-A8E1-43B6-ADF8-626BC90CB015.jpeg

I kept looking and found that the 1uz used an 18.5 inch fan and just barely cleared the oil filter and power steering box. I used this fan to build my shroud with. I spaced the steering box a 1/2 inch off the frame which was as much as I could without creating other problems.

This is the unfinished shroud mocked up. Because of the tight clearance by the power steering box I had to make a flat spot in the circle to get around the steering box. I am considering building it and then going back and cutting the spot out of the shroud that touches the steering box.
0B760284-B6C2-4C30-A0F3-40F59B180ED4.jpeg

2B82CC06-EE79-4AA6-9ED3-C0740E4C8999.jpeg

I have no idea how effective this fan will be offset to the side the way it is. There really isn’t much room to move the engine to passenger side any further than it is. If this doesn’t work my only other option is to go electric.

In my research I found others said that when the 2uz was towing or climbing that the electric fan was not able to keep the engine cool. This is for the most part my reason for trying to make the mechanical fan work. Originally I had planned to go with an electric fan but found the other information later.

I am planning to use a Ron Davis aluminum radiator designed for SBC conversions to go in front of the fan. How effective do you think my offset fan will be?

With a great shroud like that, directing the air through, and a better radiator, seems like that will work great.

I will add that the bj73 I just tore out had a similar offset and crazy shroud....

1616348310790.png

Last edited:
With a great shroud like that, directing the air through, and a better radiator, seems like that will work great.

I will add that the bj73 I just tore out had a similar offset and crazy shroud....

View attachment 2621486
Seeing your picture with the offset fan gives me some confidence it will work out ok.

I am waiting on the 3/8 winch plate to finish the bumper, so I started working on the fan shroud.

I have convinced my self that using a mechanical fan would be better than an electric fan if I can make it fit. The 2uz 100 series fan was originally 20.5 inches I believe. It wouldn’t fit, so I went looking for something smaller at the scrap yard.

I found that the Isuzu trooper and rodeo used an Aisin Fan clutch that measured the same and the fan blades had the correct orientation. I bought one from each. The depth was different, and they both measured 18.5-19 inches. I found both of them hit the oil filter mount because the depth was different. The cut down 2uz fan is pictured at the bottom.
View attachment 2621302

I kept looking and found that the 1uz used an 18.5 inch fan and just barely cleared the oil filter and power steering box. I used this fan to build my shroud with. I spaced the steering box a 1/2 inch off the frame which was as much as I could without creating other problems.

This is the unfinished shroud mocked up. Because of the tight clearance by the power steering box I had to make a flat spot in the circle to get around the steering box. I am considering building it and then going back and cutting the spot out of the shroud that touches the steering box.
View attachment 2621308

View attachment 2621310

I have no idea how effective this fan will be offset to the side the way it is. There really isn’t much room to move the engine to passenger side any further than it is. If this doesn’t work my only other option is to go electric.

In my research I found others said that when the 2uz was towing or climbing that the electric fan was not able to keep the engine cool. This is for the most part my reason for trying to make the mechanical fan work. Originally I had planned to go with an electric fan but found the other information later.

I am planning to use a Ron Davis aluminum radiator designed for SBC conversions to go in front of the fan. How effective do you think my offset fan will be?
Thank you for documenting what fan you used. I just finished pulling my 2F this afternoon to start cleaning the engine bay for the 2UZ. Wiring harness is on the way from @LextremeEngines @LextremeUSA !!!

Thank you for documenting what fan you used. I just finished pulling my 2F this afternoon to start cleaning the engine bay for the 2UZ. Wiring harness is on the way from @LextremeEngines @LextremeUSA !!!

I am happy to contribute and hope the fan turns out to be a good fit. I wouldn’t be as far along if it wasn’t for others contributions on this site, so I am happy to be a part of the chain.

I sent my harness to Lextreme a few weeks ago. I figured rather than stumble through it my self, it was worth sending off, so hopefully I can make my August driving date.

I hope to hear how your install goes. You will probably start before I do.

Last edited:
Looking for passenger tail light, tail gate section shipped to 97211

Ihappy to contribute, I hope the fan turns out to be a good fit. I wouldn’t be as far along if it wasn’t for others contributions on this site, so I am happy to be a part of the chain.

I sent my harness to Lextreme a few weeks ago. I figured rather than stumble through it my self, it was worth sending off, so hopefully I can make my August driving date.

I hope to hear how you install goes. You will probably start before I do.

Yeah, I still think you’ll stay ahead of my build even though my harness is finished. Tim did a great job and seeing the video of it running on the standalone harness was super encouraging. I’ll keep you posted.

@Bripars40 If you use the 1uz fan you will have to find a different oil filter mount. That fan is really close to the stock mount. You probably have to use a different filter mount anyway but figured I would share that.

I am still evaluating options for mounting mine but after I pick one I will share that here.

@Bripars40 If you use the 1uz fan you will have to find a different oil filter mount. That fan is really close to the stock mount. You probably have to use a different filter mount anyway but figured I would share that.

I am still evaluating options for mounting mine but after I pick one I will share that here.
Hopefully, I'm covered there. I went with a Blackmachine relocation kit for mine (it says it's for a 1uz but it will work for the 2uz). Blake Machine - 1UZFE Lexus Oil Adapter - http://blakemachine.com/performance_parts_by_blake_machine/1uzfe_lexus_oil_adapter

The shroud is done! It is not the work of art that others could create but I am happy with it considering I don’t have a lot of specialed tools. It started out as an early 40 or 45 shroud that was poorly cut at some point in its life, so I didn’t feel bad about repurposing it.
77CD52BB-27CE-41AE-B771-F70DA5FF67F9.jpeg

This is how it turned out. I decided to cut it in half and make it a two piece shroud to make accessing the front of the engine a little easier. I think it is going to work well.
A6CCDF69-ACB3-48DC-8BD4-4E979461FCD7.jpeg

2A069BAE-5608-41C8-A743-B313398E8C2B.jpeg

C949A411-C93A-4824-9E97-3D1E73539891.jpeg

Great progress Dennis! Loving your thoughts on this.

The spacer for the power steering box arrived today. It is made from 1/2 steel. I didn’t want to weld a big plate to the outside of the frame and figured a spacer would work just as well. It fits perfect. I gained an additional 1/8 inch of space from the fan shroud. It provides a little better alignment for the steering shaft to the firewall too. I am pleased with how it turned out.
E485E8E1-4020-44BE-8294-73EF73332044.jpeg

67EA1CD7-EEA7-4045-8FCD-64664FB92415.jpeg

The 3/8 inch winch plate arrived as well. It is beefy and was definitely the way to go. I finished some clean up on the winch mount crossmember, mocked it up to confirm I had enough clearance still then welded it up. I think I will go back and add two vertical supports inside the crossmember channel before I am all done with it. I hope to get some time to modify the bumper tomorrow.
3AF4C33F-7BB5-4B4F-A714-948DCD9AB3C6.jpeg

433C2094-3670-457E-B208-73BEEBCA0F0F.jpeg

4D2D1EF5-7FC7-4FDC-BA62-D5A8E542A08C.jpeg

3B11AD12-D140-49D9-BED3-2D97E4B8B647.jpeg

85A65674-697F-436B-ADA3-EE0D5288569F.jpeg

Dennis can you share the source of your spacer? Also did you dom tube through the frame for the PA box bolts? Any pics on that mod?

Last edited:
Dennis can you share the source of your spacer? Also did you dom tube through the frame for the PA box bolts? Any pics on that mod?

I made a template, traced the backside of the power steering box mounting surface, for what I needed and took it to a local machine shop and had them cut it out of 1/2 inch plate. I did the same thing with the winch plate. I assume any shop with a plasma table can cut it.

I found that the link from the center arm to the steering box on early 40 and 45s is the perfect diameter inside and out for cutting the tub sections from to pass through the frame. If you scroll back to Page 4 post #74. It shows what I used and the inside plate for the power steering box.

I did run dom tube, steering link tube cuts, through the frame at each bolt for the power steering box. I supported and secured them with a 1/4 plate that I welded on the inside of the frame. That is the same way it is done on the factory 80 series frame.

Last edited:
I spent the majority of my day modifying the front bumper. I was determined to get it right the first time. I took my time and drew out my cuts and even rehearsed them on cardboard first.
D361EA5F-6F9A-4DF1-8EA0-CA57BD75D644.jpeg

The cuts worked out perfect and after some light but consistent hits with a rubber hammer the center ends bent perfectly inward and lined up as expected. I added a 1/4 inch plate to the top of the cut out section which got me to this point.
908F2C2A-9F6B-4771-BCEB-D8CB0B0E41BB.jpeg

I cut the nicest piece that I could get out of this scrap bumper I had to form the back of the recessed section.
138C4409-6502-4B59-9C29-21E74ECCE513.jpeg

After welding it and drilling the fairlead/winch mounting holes I bolted it up. I still have some fine finish work to do and cut out the hole for the winch line to run through but the hard part is done. I am very happy with how it turned out!
55B3F16A-64C0-4762-B17F-330FAEFA41B9.jpeg

649ECD7F-2293-4739-A5EC-894081EF2F65.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom