The Lexus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D21FJ60

#LiveLaughLove.
Threads
So as to not clog up the clubs “what are you working on?” thread, I decided to start my own thread for what is turning out to be a troubled machine, my daily 2000 es300.
When I’m not on mobile I’ll copy and paste it’s recent troubles, however I have a new one.
As you saw it lost power and had to be repaired, official diagnosis was the cat converter was bad.
Now even after repair it’s exhibiting similar symptoms- had it almost floored on 66 today and it wouldn’t go past 80 and ran 3k rpms. This started out of nowhere, and I can hear it idling loudly, like there’s a leak somewhere in exhaust system. I did run out of gas earlier today but I can’t imagine crud in the tank causing the loud muffler noise. I was going to get a can of seafoam and dump it in and see if there’s anything out there specifically for unfouling cats.
There is a CEL but I haven’t had the chance yet to check it.
Input is appreciated as always, as I have to go out of town in this car Sunday night for work so if I can get this figured out beforehand I’d be happy. Thanks all

First off find out what the CEL is.

Ok went and pulled two codes, both 0440. Recommended replacement is Evap canister.

It drove somewhat normal, except at 3k RPMS and up had a hard time upshifting.
Idling is normal but it still has a louder exhaust tone.

I did run out of gas yesterday and this problem didn’t start until after I put more gas in, however the CEL was on before running dry.

Going to put a few gallons of gas in since it’s now low and run a bottle of STP through, just for snake oils sake. Want to get a can of seafoam and run it through.

The oil was just changed for the first time since I’ve been driving it so who knows when it was last done. Was thinking about doing an oil change to Castrol or mobil1 when I get back.

Also, saw this knob next to OBD port. What is it?

C0620BA9-F1BC-462D-8E92-D0C035747E42.jpeg

:flipoff2:If so much money hadnt been spent on this thing i probably would’ve sent it off to sea by now. I love working on vehicles, but on my time. Been slammed all weekend and have to head out of town. Don’t want to be stranded on the beltway tomorrow evening.

Have you replaced the fuel cap?

The 0440 code brings up the gas cap (and evaporate canester). I would reset the CEL and drive it if cel comes back on then replace the gas cap if it comes back on.

Gave it a go and wasn’t stranded. Made it to Centerville on 66 before it started making this noise. Got on 28 to manassas and borrowed a Honda Odessy to finish my high speed foray.
I am annoyed I’m not able to diagnose an repair this due to time constraints.

Last edited:
I am no mechanic, so I am hoping that others with more experience chime in. But if your charcoal canister is clogged, won't that cause a vacuum in your tank? Could this be a fuel issue?
I sort of wondered if it was fuel but why would there be the noise?

So I got under there Friday night, and as I mentioned in the "what are you working on" thread, it appears the seal/gasket between the exhaust and new cat converter is faulty. My buddy said I could come by his shop and use the lift to do the work, as my floor jack is not lifting more than an inch or two and the ramps I have give me barely enough room to get under there due to the car being such a low rider. Trying to find a parts diagram so as to order the OEM replacement gasket, as suggested by @OTRAMM . Having a hard time finding a definitive one, is this gasket going to be one of the round ones or one of the ones that has the bolt holes on either side?

So after beating around trying to fix the exhaust leak I believe the problem lies in that the non OEM replacement spring bolts don’t have enough threaded portion. I’ve been tightening the nuts all the way down and there is still a substantial leak and amount of play. I’ll be going by Toyota tomorrow to see if I can source replacement OEM bolts..

So the saga of the Lexus' determination to smear the brand's name continues (it is an old car, I need to get over myself).

Over the past year, we've had a substantial amount of work done to this vehicle ($$$$$$$$$$$) Now, the CEL has been on for a few weeks. Pulled the code and its one of the knock sensors (P0325) and after googling found this link on how to do a quick fix for it which I was going do, but before I could, I mentioned this fix to a mechanic acquaintance of mine. He very quickly shook his head and said not to because the knock sensors in this vehicle provide input to the ECU regarding the timing. and doing this quick fix could very well mess up the VVT system and ultimately the timing belt.

So what says 'Mud? Right now I am not financially able to pay someone to do it and have 0 free time to devote to doing the repair myself. Hoping to only have to drive this vehicle another 2 months or so until I can get a replacement.

Last edited:
what octane fuel are you running?

when filling it up, do you put the nozzle back when it first clicks, or are you trying to add more to round it up?

if the sensor triggered the CEL a few weeks ago, try resetting it sooner if it triggers it and see what happens this time...

I would be hesitant to cut and splice the knock sensor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom