The Elusive Black Manual 62 Style Mirrors Are Real (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To summarize, so if I trundle to my local Toyota dealer and have him order a 87940-60372 and a 87910-60142, I will get a left and a right 70 series mirror, whose base won't quite fit a 60 series door, but whose screw holes will line up. They will come with gaskets. Both will be flat (not convex), correct? It would seem that a custom base adapter would be relatively trivial to make, out of HMWPE or a chunk of a thick semi-trailer mud flap.

To summarize, so if I trundle to my local Toyota dealer and have him order a 87940-60372 and a 87910-60142, I will get a left and a right 70 series mirror, whose base won't quite fit a 60 series door, but whose screw holes will line up. They will come with gaskets. Both will be flat (not convex), correct? It would seem that a custom base adapter would be relatively trivial to make, out of HMWPE or a chunk of a thick semi-trailer mud flap.

Sounds about right.

Actually, they're from a 62 series and although the gasket seems like it's for a different model it will tighten down and sit flat. No custom seat needed. This is what mine look like installed:
image.jpg image.jpg

I found this thread in February and since I work at Toyota I figured I'd test it out. Hope this helps others!

We are getting titillated, confused and frustrated. It's like being a teenager all over again.
So now they DO fit.. but for some reason earlier in the thread they didn't..... hmmm.

Last edited:
We are getting titillated, confused and frustrated. It's like being a teenager all over again.
So now they DO fit.. but for some reason earlier in the thread they didn't..... hmmm.

Yeah, that looks exactly like the pic Godwin posted but we are unable to see if there is a gap due to the lack of light.

The holes line up. But as @beno stated earlier they are from a 70 series. But they do fit reasonably well, and with a slight modification, like @reevesci suggested you could make them fit even better! I really want to order a set for Moose.

J, any update on your mirror modifications?

^
  1. Never used them, but inquired.
  2. Aftermarket (obviously)
  3. Passenger's side mirror is not convex
  4. Too many warnings (for me) about salt and corrosion = red flag
  5. Both of them cost a lot less than the Toyota mirrors.. $98 vs about $260

I didn't use a plain screw driver I used a impact driver and it pulled it right tight. Ok actually I'm posting another picture and there is a slight gap but I swear it's made for my door... Seriously.

image.jpg

I guess I am the lone dissenter here......I just read all 5 pages and still prefer the stock look of the oem FJ60 mirrors.

I might be able to reach out to my cousin in Australia to see if he can come up with any. Would anyone be interested?

I might be able to reach out to my cousin in Australia to see if he can come up with any. Would anyone be interested?

Depending on the shipped price, yes. I'm just about fed up with the cheap reproductions I got a couple of years ago.

Are the ones cruiser corps sell the same as ccot? I drove with just the mirror stem on my pass side for about 7 years. I finally bought a used one and it flops down like a dogs ear.
I like the originals but im in for a set that fits decent and does not shake.

I bought the eBay black 62 manual mirrors previously mentioned in this thread after the seller's auction didn't make reserve. They are really nice, but there is a tab broken off of the inner mount base on the passenger mirror, making it wobble a little bit. I have searched this forum and the web looking for a part number of the inner mirror mount base, but couldn't come up with one.

Beno, landcruiserjunky: thoughts on how to obtain parts on an already scarce item, or am I just fooling myself? I have a set of the CCOT 62 series manual mirrors and the internals are different. Chelo, the CCOT mirrors are wobbly and don't compare in the slightest to these genuine 62 manuals.

I'll try to post pics if I can find a spare minute this weekend to tear the mirrors apart. I suppose the guts to a 62 power mirror would fit, but I don't have one of those to take apart to see if the mounts, etc will fit.

I am considering sending them back to the seller, but I'm sure I can find a way to repair them that makes it worth my while.

I bought the eBay black 62 manual mirrors previously mentioned in this thread after the seller's auction didn't make reserve. They are really nice, but there is a tab broken off of the inner mount base on the passenger mirror, making it wobble a little bit. I have searched this forum and the web looking for a part number of the inner mirror mount base, but couldn't come up with one.

Beno, landcruiserjunky: thoughts on how to obtain parts on an already scarce item, or am I just fooling myself? I have a set of the CCOT 62 series manual mirrors and the internals are different. Chelo, the CCOT mirrors are wobbly and don't compare in the slightest to these genuine 62 manuals.

I'll try to post pics if I can find a spare minute this weekend to tear the mirrors apart. I suppose the guts to a 62 power mirror would fit, but I don't have one of those to take apart to see if the mounts, etc will fit.

I am considering sending them back to the seller, but I'm sure I can find a way to repair them that makes it worth my while.
It's worth bending over backwards to DIY fix the set than downgrading to Chinese knockoffs.

Love my 62 chromies from CDan!

@Oaks @jherre1 @beno @sschruff @Major Nelson

Finally had some time waiting on the freight carrier to pick up a couple bumpers. Here is the quick new gasket for the mirrors. This material is a military grade ASTM -50F to 300F. I'm ordering another piece in a softer durometer. I had to crank down pretty good to get the compression/seal I was happy with.

A local oilfield gasket shop will make me a cut die and stamp these out (making the price reasonable and cut my time by 200% ). Just need to get the specs down and we will be off to the press.

These are hand cut and will be much nicer with the die cut.

J
IMG_20150413_142111_948.jpg
IMG_20150413_142121_807.jpg
IMG_20150413_142127_749.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom